W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
You travel right and down on an expedition only if you play a ship card that differs in color from what you already have in your expedition — but the ship deck has only six colors in it and you need to move down seven rows to reach Hong Kong! How can you reach Hong Kong?

While going through the rules before playing my first game, I missed that the pilot cards in the encounter deck can not only protect you from an attack, but can also serve as a ship card of a new color. What's more, the pilot cards come in two colors — purple (each with a different symbol to help you earn bonuses) and pink (with no symbol) — and you can add both a purple and pink pilot card to your expedition (on separate turns since you're limited to playing only one encounter card per turn) to help you make progress toward Hong Kong.

I've clarified this with co-designer Bruno Cathala as the rulebook doesn't specify that the pilot cards are two colors purposefully; I had thought the colors were merely to cue you in as to whether a symbol was present or not, but no, the two colors exist for expeditions, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's correct, the only way to reach Hong-Kong is to play one card of each color PLUS a captain.

And if you do that early enough, it will ensure you not only the 10 points from pillaging Hong-Kong but also the highest destination card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu
France
Aix en Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From french forum Tric Trac :

Bruno Cathala says :
Quote:
Donc, oui, pour arriver à Hong Kong, il faut, soit:
> les 6 couleurs de base + 1 pilote
> 5 couleurs de base + 2 pilotes (un rose ET un violet)

my translation (sorry if it's not perfect)
To reach Hong Kong, you need either :
> the 6 basic colors + 1 pilot
> 5 bases colors + 2 pilotes (one pink AND one purple)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a video review Mr. Martin? Love to see the game played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
paxton73 wrote:
How about a video review Mr. Martin? Love to see the game played.

I'll see what I can do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the pilot cards played instead of your normal navigation card, or do you play them as an extra navigation card during your turn? I'm guessing the latter but it's not 100% clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runkst wrote:
Are the pilot cards played instead of your normal navigation card, or do you play them as an extra navigation card during your turn? I'm guessing the latter but it's not 100% clear to me.

Since it is en Encounter card, you play in addition to your standard card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Extrapolating from this, players cannot play a pink pilot card, then another color or two, and then another pink pilot card later in the same expedition, correct? Only one pink and one purple allowed per expedition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
drewchap wrote:
Extrapolating from this, players cannot play a pink pilot card, then another color or two, and then another pink pilot card later in the same expedition, correct? Only one pink and one purple allowed per expedition?

I don't see how that's an extrapolation from the above.

You can play more than one pink pilot card on the same expedition; when you play the second one, you just move your boat to the right, not down and to the right, since pink is already present.

(That's assuming there is more than one pink pilot card, for example, in the deck.)

The rules list 6 pilots... I'd guess 2 pink and 4 purple (1 of each skill).

At Gen Con, I was taught that once you switched to a new color, you couldn't play any of the colors you had used previously. I see now that the rules don't actually say that! That simplifies things quite a bit and should make it easier to find a good card to play. Intriguing game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'm inclined to agree with you, louper. Let me geekmail Bruno and ask him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
soosy wrote:
At Gen Con, I was taught that once you switched to a new color, you couldn't play any of the colors you had used previously. I see now that the rules don't actually say that! That simplifies things quite a bit and should make it easier to find a good card to play. Intriguing game!

In general, you can't re-use colors because they're all grouped by number — white cards are 1-5, blue cards are 6-whatever it is, etc. — and since you need to keep going higher, you can't go back to white unless you use the special power that allows you to insert a card in an ongoing expedition. As louper notes, re-using a special color in an expedition moves you only right, not down and right, since that color is already present in your expedition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
W Eric Martin wrote:
soosy wrote:

In general, you can't re-use colors because they're all grouped by number — white cards are 1-5, blue cards are 6-whatever it is, etc. — and since you need to keep going higher, you can't go back to white unless you use the special power that allows you to insert a card in an ongoing expedition. As louper notes, re-using a special color in an expedition moves you only right, not down and right, since that color is already present in your expedition.

You guys are right. Bruno confirmed this in a geek mail. Thanks! Note that the example of reaching Hong Kong in the photos section is not feasible- the second pink card would only allow the player to move horizontally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Paul
Germany
Offenburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FabienC wrote:

And if you do that early enough, it will ensure you not only the 10 points from pillaging Hong-Kong but also the highest destination card.

Really? so you get 10 points+ some more points? thats really a lot..
I thought getting 10 points that are not stealable is good enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphir wrote:
FabienC wrote:

Really? so you get 10 points+ some more points? thats really a lot..
I thought getting 10 points that are not stealable is good enough

Well, that's how it works. But be aware that it does not insure the victory ! I've seen players reach Hong Kong and end up losing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the pilot is used to counter an attack, what happens to the attack card? Is it discarded, remaining unused? Or can the attacker play it on somebody else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
When the pilot is used to counter an attack, what happens to the attack card? Is it discarded, remaining unused? Or can the attacker play it on somebody else?

If I'm not mistaken, it is discarded. I don't have the rulebook in front of me to quote it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it seems that using three purple pilot cards to reach Hong Kong (as I did last night) was wrong.

In my defence the rule book states "It is considered to be a navigation card of a new colour and the Junk is moved accordingly." To me this suggests that whenever you play a Pilot (during the play encounter card phase) you move your Junk diagonally.

I realised that treating the card as either purple or pink would make much more sense, but I was led astray by that assurance that each time I played a Pilot it counted as a "new colour".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergey Pr1celess
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilfiniol wrote:

Wait, wait... You say SIX basic colors?
But I see only five in a game: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2033556/madame-ching

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pr1celess wrote:
ilfiniol wrote:

Wait, wait... You say SIX basic colors?
But I see only five in a game: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2033556/madame-ching

That picture doesn't show all the colors. This one does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.