Hide
15 Posts

Caverna: The Cave Farmers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Starting player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ayat soltani
msg tools
So can the player who starts first choose the card to be starting player again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. But if you use your first action to keep start player, then everyone else gets a turn to take all the good spots and you're effectively the last player. Unless there is something specific that you need to get first in the following turn I rarely find it worthwhile for the start player to take the start player spot. Use your privilege of going first to get something good. And if someone else wrests start player from you, then taking start player actually does something useful for you again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Delmeby
Sweden
Bromma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I'd say the current starting player can not block the starting player action space. It clearly states in the rules that a player can not choose an action space in which no action can be performed, this leads me to think it is not possible. Thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Delodax wrote:
Hmm, I'd say the current starting player can not block the starting player action space. It clearly states in the rules that a player can not choose an action space in which no action can be performed, this leads me to think it is not possible. Thoughts on this?

One food is placed on the starting player space each round and you get either 2 ore or 1 ruby, so you can always take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Delodax wrote:

I'd say that an action is performed: Take starting player token, place it in front of you. (Does not matter that you take it from yourself).

Also you can take starting player without getting any benefit in Agricola and in Agricola: All creatures big and small. So it is probably also possible in Caverna.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Delmeby
Sweden
Bromma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my book that's not an action, would be interesting to get an official statement on it. There are a few action spaces that are purely about picking resources so I guess that could be an argument for "picking up stuff" being an action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
If, as current starting player, you are not allowed to take the start player space, this should be explicitely stated in the rules. Since it is not, I see no reason why it would not function, as in all other games I have player where nothing special was mentioned (like in Tzolkin where it moves to the left if the current start player takes it).

To follow the terminology of the game there should perhaps have been a "and/or" on the space. Just to make it as clear, as it is in agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randor20 wrote:
To follow the terminology of the game there should perhaps have been a "and/or" on the space. Just to make it as clear, as it is in agricola.

But it is not "and/or". If you take the starting player action space then you have to take the starting player pawn and the ressources you get from the action space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hexendoktor wrote:
Randor20 wrote:

But it is not "and/or". If you take the starting player action space then you have to take the starting player pawn and the ressources you get from the action space.

It would just make it clear, if it said so.

My main argument is the first - there is nothing in the rules saying you cannot take that action even if you are already the starting player.

Edit: Now I realize an effect of it not saying "and/or" - you have to become starting player when taking this space. Though only very rarely would you choose not to (you having more dwarves and wanting to see what the others do first).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Delmeby
Sweden
Bromma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexendoktor wrote:
Delodax wrote:

I'd say that an action is performed: Take starting player token, place it in front of you. (Does not matter that you take it from yourself).

Also you can take starting player without getting any benefit in Agricola and in Agricola: All creatures big and small. So it is probably also possible in Caverna.

Guess it would reasonably be pretty similar to how it works in A and A:ACBAS. Would you say any action space which contains something you can pick up would qualify as an action for that space then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Delodax wrote:
Would you say any action space which contains something you can pick up would qualify as an action for that space then?

Any action space qualifies as an action.

rules p. 7 wrote:
In clockwise order, take turns to place 1 Dwarf per
turn on an Action space on the game boards. Then
carry out the actions on that space. Each Action space
may only be occupied by a single Dwarf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Delmeby
Sweden
Bromma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexendoktor wrote:
Any action space qualifies as an action.

Hehe, yeah, well, of course. I looked at the "Clearing" action space and there it is more apparent that picking up the accumulated wood is an action of itself, so I guess picking up anything from "Starting player" (may it be food, coal or rubies) is an actual isolated action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Delodax wrote:
Taking start player is an action that you can always perform. Your confusion here comes from the idea that the space is "Be start player next turn" and that the current start player already does that if no one takes the spot. You're thinking that the action doesn't do anything new for him... which is a fallacy. What the spot actually does is "Lock myself in as start player for next round." So if you aren't start player already, you become start player. But if you already are, then you prevent anyone else from stealing it from you. That's a real effect. And if the current start player fails to take start player for himself, then he very well not be start player the following turn. It's hard to argue that placing a worker on start player doesn't have the effect of making him start player next turn if his failure to place there results in him not being start player next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Sayward
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Unless there is something specific that you need to get first in the following turn I rarely find it worthwhile for the start player to take the start player spot.

I found a fun opportunity to use this one. I was hankering after rubies. At the end of the round both the Starting Player & the Ruby Mining were available. Instead of grabbing the rubies, I took Starting Player (again) & got 1 ruby, ensuring that the Ruby Mining would replenish before I grabbed them early in the next round. Score!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.