Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During our gameplay today, my wife buried the Looking Glass under her +5 token and then took it out to use it on the quest she was completing (it doubles one of the icons). I thought it was a very creative way of using the card, but she asked me if it was legal. I didn't know so of course we allowed it. My question is....is it legal? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it may be doubly illegal - you cannot use what are in essence "wilds" for quests - you always need to have exactly what the quest asks, you cannot just mirror it with an artifact - that only works when walking around on the board.

And there's also the rule that any cards you store under your 5+ token either have to be used directly in a public quest - if they are creatures you need for that quest -; otherwise you need to put them into your discard pile before you can use them and wait for them to turn up in your hand again after shuffling the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the "Looking Glass" artifact can't be used for quests?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Early
United States
Wilmington
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tina is right; it cannot be used for quests. I don't have my copy at hand, but I believe the looking glass card actually specifies "to subdue a creature."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to disagree on the card wording, it sounds right to me and I don't have my game to hand. However, I don't think you have it right on the use of the Quest Token.
here's what the rules wrote:
To commit cards to an Open Quest, secretly place one or more cards face- down in front of you. Put the Quest token on top of these cards to distinguish them from others. You may have no more than five cards face down under your Quest token at any time. If you have more than five, you must immediately discard committed cards until you have only five left in this stack.
Any card (even a Peaceful Dragon) may be committed face-down beneath your Quest token—it does not have to match a displayed Quest symbol. But all cards committed beneath your Quest token must either a) remain there, b) be used to fulfil an Open Quest, or c) be discarded. These cards may not be used for any other purpose. No cards committed beneath your Quest token can be used for Personal Quests!
So it's perfectly legal, though pointless, to put the Looking Glass under your Quest Token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, you're right, of course. What I forgot to mention is that of course you can store stuff beside creatures for a public quest there (like the tea dragon) if it remains there. But if you want to play it at any time (use it to subdue creatures on the board or use the card's special ability - anything except committing it for a public quest), you need to first discard it and wait till it returns into your hand through reshuffling and drawing.

So it is indeed legal to put the looking glass artifact there, but it is definitely not legal to play it from there right away, which she appears to have done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schlawiner wrote:
Sure, you're right, of course. What I forgot to mention is that of course you can store stuff beside creatures for a public quest there (like the tea dragon) if it remains there. But if you want to play it at any time (use it to subdue creatures on the board or use the card's special ability - anything except committing it for a public quest), you need to first discard it and wait till it returns into your hand through reshuffling and drawing.

So it is indeed legal to put the looking glass artifact there, but it is definitely not legal to play it from there right away, which she appears to have done.

That seems to be the consensus opinion. Besides playing the Looking Glass card wrong (whoops), you can't play an artifact card from your buried cards (which makes sense). Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.