Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hankering for a taste of European style gaming.. what's a good start? I like the way the Feld games look like they play, lots of opportunities, some good brain action, and a way to come from behind and win I would hope? Trajan looks pretty fun and so does Bruges, but really where is a good starting point and better yet some other games that are equally entertaining? Also some real ideas on playtime, my group can't handle more than about 2 hours or so... or is this out of the question? Thanks for any suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a lot of Feld's games:

Bruges
Castles of Burgundy
Bora Bora
Trajan
Macao
Rialto
In the Year of the Dragon
Notre Dame
Arena

My favorite of the bunch is The Castles of Burgundy. It is not a typical dice game because in this game rolling a 6 is not better than rolling a 1. You can always do something with any die roll. It has a nice mix of tactics and strategy. It is not difficult to learn yet has some depth. It is not expensive either, so you get your money's worth. Some complain about the quality of the components, but I think they are fine. It is more than made up for in the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 hours is perfectly fine. Most eurogames do not take longer.

There are so many great games out there, it is really hard to say where to start.

Stefan Feld has made a number of cool games:

The Castles of Burgundy
Trajan
Bora Bora
Rialto
Amerigo

Some other good games that come to mind:

Agricola
Caylus
Puerto Rico
Troyes
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
Terra Mystica
Lewis & Clark

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of them are good. Bruges and Trajan are crap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:
Most of them are good. Bruges and Trajan are crap.

I did not mind Trajan too much. It's not one I would buy. I feel like Bora Bora in a way is Trajan's sequel and I do prefer Bora Bora. I also was far less than impressed with Bruges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feld fans will never agree on which ones you should try. I'll try to sort into broad categories to give you an idea of which ones are worth looking at.

Punishment Games - These games feature bad things that keep assaulting you.
In the Year of the Dragon
Notre Dame
and to a lesser extent Bruges (the punishment is less frequent and far more manageable)

Heavy planning games, particularly involving multi turn sequencing.
Trajan - Really inventive mancala mechanics.
Macao - This contains the windrose.

Clever Dice games
Castles of Burgundy
Bora Bora
Arena Roma - personally I dislike this game.
(Bruges as per above)
(Macao as per above)

Other games
Amerigo - Uses Shogun dice tower, fairly lightweight for a feld
Rialto - Interesting variant on Area control.
Luna - Interesting take on Worker placement.

I've included Bruges and Macao in multiple entries as they cross multiple game styles.

I've not played Notre Dame, Luna or Macao.

CoB is my favourite followed by Trajan, Bruges and In the Year of the Dragon.

Bora Bora is massively overrated IMHO, Rialto is a little boring, too light to be played with heavier gamers, to dry to be a gateway, Amerigo is fun, but I need to test it now that I've nerfed the dice tower as it left you with far too many actions and not enough to do the first time I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Macao and Castles of Burgundy and really enjoyed both. I slightly prefer Macao, though. Both are really great with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David and Thanee have provided some good lists of Feld games (ignore the negative comments about Trajan and Bruges. Both are great games). Feld is our favorite designer and we have five of his games and will likely acquire more.

I really like Thanee's other recommendations as well many of which I would also recommend. So I'll offer some other euros that we've played that I think are worth considering not already mentioned:

Concordia
Keyflower
Manhattan Project
Power Grid
Spyrium
Village
Viticulture

meeple Keep playing...

P.S. (Edit) Mercy! How could I forget my all around favorite Railways of the World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went a bit overboard, I settled on Castles (it's spoken of very highly!), Trajan (I just couldn't resist..) and Bruges. (I'm giving it the benefit..) I do have a copy of Viticulture/Tuscanny coming when it's done so I also look forward to those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Johnson
United States
Midvale
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only Feld games I've played so far are Bora Bora and Rialto.

Bora Bora was a blast, I loved the way the dice were used, lower dice stopping other players while bigger dice let you do more (generally). The level of planning was just right for me. Using the tribesman to build combos was done very well.

Rialto was indeed on the dryer side. The game plays itself to an extent. However, just because it was dry does not mean it wasn't fun. The way the game plays out was really kind of relaxing. it was a game that we could chill out and sit back with out losing our focus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.