Subject: Variant Where Players Don't Know Their Countries? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend proposed a variant in which players don't know which countries they're playing and thus submit orders for all seven countries. I said I thought that a variant along these lines already existed, but I couldn't find anything about it online. Does anyone know about this? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I seem to recall a variant of Gunboat where players know who they are but don't know who anyone else is, and are not allowed to reveal this information. Negotiations are more discussions than actual deals.

I suppose your version would eliminate the risk that a player accidentally or intentionally spill the beans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar with the variant the OP referred to, but I do remember more than one variant which involved hidden movement -- and the only reveals occurred when a conflict needed to be resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
A friend proposed a variant in which players don't know which countries they're playing and thus submit orders for all seven countries. I said I thought that a variant along these lines already existed, but I couldn't find anything about it online. Does anyone know about this? Thanks!

I would think you would quickly narrow down which country you were based on which orders each nation followed. If they didn't follow yours, it wasn't you. So really this would only affect the first season or two.

Juxtatype wrote:
I'm not familiar with the variant the OP referred to, but I do remember more than one variant which involved hidden movement -- and the only reveals occurred when a conflict needed to be resolved.

I played in a PBEM game with fog of war where you only saw units you were next to. You only heard that supply centers had fallen, but not necessarily to whom. This required a moderator, but i think there are some online judges that implement this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.