Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got a chance to break out Core Worlds to do more than organize the components and put them in tuck boxes. We quickly reviewed the setup and rules specific to two players and ignored the 0-card draft.

We drafted our starting worlds, went over the different phases and actions, and started. We quickly started deploying our Infantry and Starship units to work on the basic worlds and build up some energy reserves. I took advantage of drafting some tactics and more advanced units. My daughter managed to capture a couple of decent worlds in the first deck. (I will admit that we played the Tactics card wrong one time, saving it until needed instead of paying/playing as it was needed. We corrected that for future rounds.)

My daughter quickly got the hang of the different actions and what she could do, going solo when we hit the 2nd deck (3rd round). She needed a little prompting to not try to pre-play the Tactics cards throughout the rest of the game and I blame my bad rules interpretation for her doing that.) She got quite a few decent worlds and tactics and my combos were well-intentioned, but never quite came together the way I wanted. She took full advantage of garrisoning her starting units and playing some great tactics cards along the way. She had the Smugglers tactics card and took full advantage of it far too often to sap my energy and get two more. I conquered some great worlds and got some good ships, but forgot to draw my extra card at least once and could never combine my units well.

During the last round, we both targeted the same Core World that gives bonuses for tactics cards. She conquered it before I got a chance. We then forgot to play the last rule to deal out all cards for the final round. That might have made some difference, but I doubt it would have helped me too much other than a possibility to conquer two worlds or perhaps a different one. Final score - 24-17, daughter. She was pretty pleased with herself and I'll admit she played well. Fun game and I look forward to playing again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clévy
France
Strasbourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the report. Out of curiosity how old is your daughter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She's 11, but has been playing with the adults since she was 5 (admittedly with help at the beginning) so she has experience with these types of games already. I wouldn't try this with any of her friends with maybe one or two exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the "Family Session Report"! I know Andrew Parks' has played the game with his family, and they are/were in this age range too!

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:
Thanks for the "Family Session Report"! I know Andrew Parks' has played the game with his family, and they are/were in this age range too!

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

I'm glad we finally got to play it. I've been sitting on it for way too long. New babies make life interesting but definitely aren't conducive to gaming. I have no idea how someone like Mr. Vasel does it. We had to make sure the baby didn't get her hands on the energy tokens and a couple of cards at least once as we were finishing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great session report, Peter. We also have two daughters (now aged 17 and 13) and they've been playing "grown-up" games since a tender age as well.

The pre-game draft adds much more flavor and variety to the game, so you might consider adding it to your next game to keep the game fresh and exciting each time you play.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter is 11 and my son is 9. They play just fine. My son doesn't fully understand how to manage everything, but it doesn't stop him from playing. My daughter can give me a run for my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some would say that teaching particular games to kids at an early age is more or less pushing them into something they're not prepared for, but every kid is different. Parents should be able to judge the level of comprehension for their children, so if you're able to play a complete game of something without completely losing them, so be it!

Games can be considered intellectual/cognitive challenges when done correctly, so great job with this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We definitely didn't push. We played. She watched and wanted in. We helped her as appropriate (or just let her make a legal move) and let her play. Sometimes she completely trounced us. Sometimes she lost spectacularly. Most times, she just came in about even as she got more experience. We did have opportunities to discuss being a good winner/loser and showing respect for those playing the game.

We also played our fair share of Candyland, Monopoly Jr, Balloon Lagoon, and the like - games she enjoyed. She keeps a couple simpler games around for playing with friends who don't play more complex games regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.