Subject: What's your other hobby? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: monty_python [+] hobby [+] [View All]
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no doubt that in recent years my main hobby has been military boardgaming. But I'm a Gemini and Geminis often have multiple interests. I have dabbled in astronomy, tabletop wargaming and read copious amounts of military history books but my other main hobby interest has always been model railroading.

What, if any, is your other main hobby and I'm talking hobbies here in the more traditional sense as opposed to sport or activities such as hiking or watching TV? But, heck, who am l to say you can't tell us about your year in major league or your hike up Everest. And how many of us are dedicated monogamist grognards?

Trainspotters step forward.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmb

This reminds me of the contestant in a Monty Python sketch who lists his hobbies are masturbation and golf. On receiving a lukewarm response from the audience the host explains that "golf isn't very popular in these parts".

So, apart from the above (actually I hate golf) I also play miniature wargames intermittently - usually when I find a decent set of rules. Chain Of Command is the most recent discovery and has proved to be a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, I knew there was other stuff apart from wargaming.

I have dabbled in tabletop wargaming and had a train set when younger. I always imagined those gorgeous looking train sets crawling with tanks and soldiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Morley
United Kingdom
Hastings
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like wargaming, I got into stamp collecting and model kit building (Airfix, Revell etc) after a 25 year absence. Both are a great little time filler and takes up very little room (which for me is very handy)
Very theraputic, much needed in my chaotic world robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, the astronomy thing, On weekends, I'm up all hours of the night/morning gaming or outside with my telescopes. I draw and paint (poorly) as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Western Challenge square dancing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Stamps! And a little bit of gardening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent a lot of my earlier years as an adult building models (some, not all, WWII tanks and aircraft). I spent two years building model railroads. I spent several years designing games on three topics, only to not be happy with any of them. (But I haven't given up.) Currently, I'm working on a large-scale model that takes up my wargaming table, so that's keeping me occupied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I learn and play bluegrass and folk songs together for our own entertainment. We don't perform publicly. I play mandolin and guitar and sing. She is the main singer and plays guitar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
fambans wrote:
My wife and I learn and play bluegrass and folk songs together for our own entertainment. We don't perform publicly. I play mandolin and guitar and sing. She is the main singer and plays guitar.

Anxiously awaiting the launch of your YouTube channel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than games I mainly enjoy outdoor activities. Hiking, camping, bushcraft, bouldering, the likes. I hope to get into canoeing more in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it pretty ironic that playing a different kind of wargame - historical tabletop miniatures - or a different type of boardgame - eurogames - would be considered a "different" hobby in here.

Anyway, played soccer and volleyball at a competitive level up until my mid-thirties, nowadays apart from hiking with the dogs and the aforementioned eurogames and tabletop it's mainly reading scientific and history books. That, and annoying some people in online forums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
I am an avid (and pretty fast!) road cyclist. I particularly enjoy long-distance riding, i.e. 100 miles or thereabouts.

There are, in fact, more conceptual/outlook similarities between serious cyclists and wargamers than you'd EVER imagine...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Gardening. Growing food. Cooking.

It's all pretty sedate around here.

Work and children provide all the stress I need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmb
thechangingman wrote:

There are, in fact, more conceptual/outlook similarities between serious cyclists and wargamers than you'd EVER imagine...whistle

They'd rather be driving a tank?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ER Bickford
United States
Auburn
flag msg tools
badge
mb

I play country rock. My grandkids perform with my band.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I like to do a bit of bouldering and I'm also getting well into riding single speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My other main obsession, apart from wargaming, is toreo, or 'bullfighting' in English.

Before I go any further, I am fully aware that this is a controversial subject in the Anglo-Saxon world, and am mindful that many people consider it to be immoral and cruel. I am not going to engage in an argument regarding the ethical rights or wrongs of toreo. I will not change the opinion of someone who holds an anti-bullfighting position, and they will not change mine. I will have counterpoints to several arguments for the abolition of toreo, but am not going to express them here. I will feel that many of these arguments are based on assumptions which start from a position of ignorance, but I will not counteract them in this forum.

There! That's that out of the way!

I have been following toreo since the late 1990s. I have spent huge amounts of time over the years travelling through Spain and the south of France, planning holidays around Ferias and Festivales.

Since the eldest of my children was born, I have had to ration myself to one weekend in Madrid every May. The Feria de San Isidro in Madrid features a corrida de toros ('bullfight', as mistranslated in English) every evening for the month of May. This allows me to squeeze in two or three corridas over a long weekend.

Madrid is also a fantastic city to visit, with a fascinating history, excellent food & drink, superb music if you know where to look, relatively few tourists, and a rough-and-ready friendly atmosphere. Easily my favourite city in the world.

It is also the only city in the world with a publicly displayed statue of Satan!

Studying & following toreo has also ignited an interest in Spanish history and culture, has exposed me to wonderful Spanish food (surely the world's most underrated cuisine), fantastic Spanish drinks (a glass of fundador, anyone? ¿Un vaso de fino, o oloroso?), fantastic music from the Andalucian south - listening to unbelievably talented guitarristas playing along to various cantaors taking it in turns to transmit emotion and send shivers down your spine until 6 in the morning.

I have also learned a workable knowledge of conversational Spanish, which gets slightly better every time I visit.

I have tried with various levels of success to speak Basque in San Sebastian and Bilbao. I have run with the bulls in Pamplona, I have smelled oranges and incense in Sevilla during Semana Santa. I have drunk manzanilla in Jerez and watched the horses. I saw Juan Jose Padilla lose his eye to a bull in Zaragoza in 2011. I have eaten pig's ear and drunk cold beer in Cordoba.

Toreo is fascinating and crazy. It is very serious and often disappointing. When it is good it is sublime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Ashiefan wrote:
thechangingman wrote:

They'd rather be driving a tank?

Nah, he refers to all the butthurt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Books and reading. Art (all aspects: collecting/buying, making, publishing). Typography and design (both as hobbies and my full-time career). Some sports (I'm a bogey golfer, but a pretty good baseball coach/player). Hiking. History. Astronomy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
fambans wrote:

Envious, I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remote control electric airplanes and gliders, which I consider to be one hobby. Also note that I consider wargaming, eurogaming and tabletop miniature gaming to all be the same hobby = Gaming.

So, I have two hobbies: Games and airplanes. I also like music, but the only things I play are records, CDs and mp3s (well, some FLACs, AACs and other formats too but you get the idea). Yes I can tell the difference between digital and analog recordings but I do not get too hung up over it most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elirlandes wrote:
My other main obsession, apart from wargaming, is toreo, or 'bullfighting' in English.

I spent a few years fascinated by bullfighting when I was younger and still living in Europe. I watched bullfights every time I was in Spain.

I still would follow it but you don't get much of it near where I live now.

I heard a while ago that there was pressure from the EU for Spain to ban bullfighting. I hope that isn't true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Writing, film, video games. Not crazy unique but those are the other things I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Sánchez
Spain
LM City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To accumulate time (in order to have time to play boardgames).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.