Rome
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"If more than one character is blocking an attacking character, the
attacker can choose how to divide the damage between the blockers"

If you apply this word for word, useful tactical "tricks" like these are legal:

Assign all attacker damage to one only defender not to knock out other blockers
Distribute all damage to blockers so that (potentially) no one will be knocked out

Do you agree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Sugiyama
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure.

You can assign the damage however you want. You don't have to KO anything if you don't want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiziano Contorno
Italy
Rome
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Starsplice wrote:
Sure.

You can assign the damage however you want. You don't have to KO anything if you don't want to.

Well, since you have to apply ALL the attack value to blockers, you could actually be forced to knock out at least one of them.

IE:

Attacker 5/5 blocked by 2/2 and 3/3

5 damage on 2/2 and 3/3 survives
5 damage on 3/3 and 2/2 survives
3 on 3/3 and 2 on 2/2, both knocked out

This assuming that:

a) the WHOLE attack value must be assigned
b) you can assign to a character more damage than its defense value

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Sugiyama
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You MUST assign ALL damage. But the assigning can be in whatever amount you choose.

You can assign ALL 5 damage to the 3/3 and ignore the 2/2, that is a legal move. Overkill is not illegal, especially since there are abilities that buff defense in this game. So assigning 5 damage to a creature that can be pumped to a 6/6 from the original 3/3 may be a wise choice, forcing the opponent to expend energy to keep the 3/3 alive and not use any other abilities to mess with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiziano Contorno
Italy
Rome
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok so we both see things in the same way.

BTW, there's nothing I would do in this game to prevent one of my characters to be knocked out and sent to prep to refill my hand next turn

This game is all upside-down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Sugiyama
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanadio wrote:
This game is all upside-down.

I disagree. I think this game design is a new way to look at combat. A beefy attacker or powerful character cannot continue to deal damage over and over and over again. Once the attack goes through to your life points the character disappears for a few turns.

I enjoy the game forcing me to be careful in how I attack and defend. It's a really nice way to keep things balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiziano Contorno
Italy
Rome
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is upside-down in respect to the "Giant" (Magic). Like it or not it is the golden standard and clearly inspired everything on the matter.

Main brainwashing features:

Chump block is more than often good;
Chump attack is not blasphemous;
The combat actors and dynamics are mainly decided by defender, due to two intrinsic game "features" called fantastic/phoenix and distraction that let you force or remove attackers (powerful choice given to defender).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanadio wrote:
It is upside-down in respect to the "Giant" (Magic). Like it or not it is the golden standard and clearly inspired everything on the matter.

Chump block is more than often good;
Chump attack is not blasphemous;
The combat actors and dynamics are mainly decided by defender, due to two intrinsic game "features" called fantastic/phoenix and distraction that let you force or remove attackers (powerful choice given to defender).

I'm not really clear on one thing... Do you like the game, or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Sugiyama
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanadio wrote:

Are you saying you don't like MDM or Magic? I don't understand if this is a complaint or what....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiziano Contorno
Italy
Rome
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love both games. Saying that something force you to change your patterns and heuristics doesn't mean it's crap. Often the opposite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starsplice wrote:
Vanadio wrote:

Are you saying you don't like MDM or Magic? I don't understand if this is a complaint or what....

I think it is an observation and not meant as a value judgement.

Ninja'd again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
Official answer: You can assign all of the damage to a single blocker, you don't have to assign leftover damage to the other blocker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nelson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starsplice wrote:
You MUST assign ALL damage. But the assigning can be in whatever amount you choose.

You can assign ALL 5 damage to the 3/3 and ignore the 2/2, that is a legal move. Overkill is not illegal, especially since there are abilities that buff defense in this game. So assigning 5 damage to a creature that can be pumped to a 6/6 from the original 3/3 may be a wise choice, forcing the opponent to expend energy to keep the 3/3 alive and not use any other abilities to mess with you.

Except any ability which would pump would happen BEFORE you assign damage, so when you assign damage their stats are what they'll remain at until after damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.