Hide
4 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: the other ships: walden rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J B
msg tools
This ship is more balanced than the interceptor. It gives up stash and speed to gain cargo space. Losing stash is an issue with pirates and inspections. A range of 4 is workable and can be upgraded to 5 pretty easily, which is plenty for most jobs and general play.

Basically you can play this ship exactly like a firefly, with a few comments:

- +1 burn range should be a priority, and it can't be on an engine so that means wash or ship upgrade (coils, etc).

- stash upgrade has merits: you don't need the cargo space but being able to save some fuel or contra from pirates/inspections is handy.

- the heavy load bonus is poor. I think there are 2 jobs for it, and both are long range, so even without the fuel cost its a bit of a trip in a slow ship. And this is an "early" job; easy requirements and good pay at the start, but fail once you are set-up. Meh.

- this is a good ship to try a salvage/scrapper build, or run mal with a space hook and transport to get TONS of extra cargo/contra to sell. A setup like this could make money hand over fist, with the extra space for the goods. Get solid with harken, and only the reshuffle card is a risk to your booty. It could make a decent pirate as well, again taking tons of goods off others, BUT you cant reliably catch other players; you can only hit a target of opportunity who happens to be in range rather than chase someone down.

-solid with harken is nice to have.

All in all, I consider the walden to be a solid ship, as good as a firefly, and a solid alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tai
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the rundown- have you considered posting this in the Pirates and Bounty Hunters forum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
I did not see one, but I only backed out to the forum page from here. Must be treated as a separate game? I will look for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reed makamson
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
I find the best bet with the walden is to orbit either regina or space bazaar, you'll need to get reaver proof quickly(so pilot or mechanic leader is necessary). Just turn up boarder space cards looking for salvage, with your other action deal for piracy jobs or shop for guns and tech(plus chop shops, stash upgrades, breaching tools, etc). Sooner or later, someone's liable to come floating through and likely carrying some contraband/cargo, hit them with the piracy job, taking more than they have, making you solid and then sell off the loot. like you said, hand over fist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.