Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Sessions
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first Print on Demand game to try and play. I was very excited about this process.
I love this game and will be fully supporting it when it hit Kickstarter.

Some we need some rules clarification:
Game Scenario: Fish is in the $5, Livestock is in the $4, Lumber is in the $3, and Stone is in the $2. Through my craftiness I am able to get each of the require goods but I only want to spend $9 to buy a card, so I select the Fish and Livestock.
Questions #1: Am I forced to sell the Lumber and Stone when I sell the Fish and Livestock or can I keep them, knowing on my next turn I might be able to sell them for $5 and $4?
Current Rules: Under the Buying a Building by Shipping Goods section, it states, "When you ship goods, you select which types of goods you will ship." We assumed that we could keep them the Lumber and Stone, but wanted clarification.

Game Scenario: I just bought the card for $9, but my son Parker has his token on that card
Question #2: Does Parker's token remain on the card as it moves over to my building area or does his token get taken off?
Current Rules: None we could find. We assumed that his token remains on the building card, but wanted clarification.

Not a scenario or question, more of an observation and recommendation. We found as we played that the Top Hats gave characters with this ability an unfair advantage as well as one all the players had bought a card with a Top Hat, then this Special ability was useless.
Recommendation: What if each player had 2-3 Top Hat meeples of their color. Those that have this ability can place their Top Hat meeple on any building that another player owns. This would allow them to use buildings owned by that player without having to pay the owner for their use, but it also limits and forces them to decide which building they get to use since they have a limited amount. If they were to purchase another building with a Top Hat then they could place their second Top Hat meeple on another building, allowing them to have 2 buildings at their disposal.

Otherwise, we love this game and we're excited to see the final product. I have family coming over today for Memorial Day dinner and we're going to bust this out to try it with another large audience. I will post the results after we've finished it.
Again, great job!!

GrayParkHoll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question #1 - You are only forced to sell all of the goods you sell. If you don't sell lumber or stone, you keep them as is.

Question #2 - This was mentioned somewhere in one of the posts in the forum, but if there's a pawn on a building you buy, it just moves with the building.

We noticed the top hat thing in our game as well...it was quite a bit more powerful than we realized at first, so all of us wound up buying a building with it eventually, but the player who started with it wound up winning (not just because of this, but it certainly benefitted him greatly).

I'm not sure the game needs the top hat and the rule about paying someone a good to use their building...there are only a few buildings where the net gain is 2 goods after the action, and if someone else has it, then it's only 1 good. The rest of the buildings might give you a net gain of 1 or just exchange goods, which makes "net gain" even worse or non-existent when using someone else's building without a top hat...which in our game seemed to make the game drag on longer than it should have. I didn't notice so much in two player game, but I really felt it in the 4 player game I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grayparkholl wrote:
This is my first Print on Demand game to try and play. I was very excited about this process.
I love this game and will be fully supporting it when it hit Kickstarter.

Some we need some rules clarification:
Game Scenario: Fish is in the $5, Livestock is in the $4, Lumber is in the $3, and Stone is in the $2. Through my craftiness I am able to get each of the require goods but I only want to spend $9 to buy a card, so I select the Fish and Livestock.
Questions #1: Am I forced to sell the Lumber and Stone when I sell the Fish and Livestock or can I keep them, knowing on my next turn I might be able to sell them for $5 and $4?
Current Rules: Under the Buying a Building by Shipping Goods section, it states, "When you ship goods, you select which types of goods you will ship." We assumed that we could keep them the Lumber and Stone, but wanted clarification.

As the rules state, you only ship the goods used. You do not ship the unused goods (you keep them for later).

Quote:
Game Scenario: I just bought the card for $9, but my son Parker has his token on that card
Question #2: Does Parker's token remain on the card as it moves over to my building area or does his token get taken off?
Current Rules: None we could find. We assumed that his token remains on the building card, but wanted clarification.

Buying a building does not affect any of the pawns, only ownership of the building. Parker's pawn would simply remain in that building until his turn.

The fee to use an opponent's building is only paid when placing a worker, so Parker would of course not be responsible for any fee now that you bought the building he had already used.

Quote:
Not a scenario or question, more of an observation and recommendation. We found as we played that the Top Hats gave characters with this ability an unfair advantage as well as one all the players had bought a card with a Top Hat, then this Special ability was useless.

I am not sure I understand the concern here...
Case 1: Unfair advantage... yes, and the coin icon gives a player the unfair advantage of buying buildings more cheaply. That's kind of the point of abilities - they give you advantages the other players do not have.

Case 2: once other players have hats, the ability is useless... I don't understand this comment. A minute ago it was an unfair advantage.

Quote:
Recommendation: What if each player had 2-3 Top Hat meeples of their color. Those that have this ability can place their Top Hat meeple on any building that another player owns. This would allow them to use buildings owned by that player without having to pay the owner for their use, but it also limits and forces them to decide which building they get to use since they have a limited amount. If they were to purchase another building with a Top Hat then they could place their second Top Hat meeple on another building, allowing them to have 2 buildings at their disposal.

One challenge with this is that getting a top hat early would not help you to use a desirable building that is later purchased by an opponent.

Quote:
Otherwise, we love this game and we're excited to see the final product. I have family coming over today for Memorial Day dinner and we're going to bust this out to try it with another large audience. I will post the results after we've finished it.
Again, great job!!

I'm glad to hear you're having fun with it! I have definitely enjoyed the art Rob made - very fun and very high quality!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review! It looks like everybody has already answered the questions posted... but, I'm glad you've been enjoying the game. If any more questions come up during your plays, we'd be happy to answer them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sessions
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications for the rules...
Again, the Top Hat observation was simply that, an observation. We found that once everyone purchased a building with a Top Hat, that this special ability no longer applies unlike the Coin, Anchor, and Warehouse. Even when other players have purchased buildings of these other 3, they still apply in the game. Hence was the thought where if you had these meeples, you could save them whenever you wanted and then could have more of a monopoly effect on that building to visit for free.
But we'll keep playing Harbour regardless... All my family an friends were able to play 1-2 games and we still had a good time yesterday.
Keep it up and let's get this game published!

GrayParkHoll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grayparkholl wrote:
We found that once everyone purchased a building with a Top Hat, that this special ability no longer applies unlike the Coin, Anchor, and Warehouse

Someone else around here suggested there be a cumulative Top Hat rule something like:

You may use someone else's building for free if the building's owner has fewer Top Hats than you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sessions
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not a bad idea either. Thanks for replying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Molesworth
Australia
Glenhaven
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with this variant too i.e. if you have MORE Top Hats than the owner of the selected building, then you use it without paying a good as toll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.