14 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: 4 Player Base game - Cylon Loyalty question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Ambrose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So far we've only played this game once.

During the game, we had a Cylon from the off (Adama) who revealed quite early on.

During the second phase, the revealed cylon was also dealt the cylon sympathiser card, and because all the Human resources were still in the blue, he gave this to another player instantly making them a cylon.

So far so clear.

I just wanted to clarify one point. Is it true you could potentially not have a Cylon player in the first phase of a 4 player game at all? If that is the case, then during the second phase somebody would become a cylon and somebody would become a sympathiser?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 4 Player Base game - Cylon Loyalty quesiton.
Yes, it is perfectly regular that there is no cylon in the first half of the game. However, that does make the humans' job quite a lot easier, unless they are too suspicious (or paranoid about the less than 50% chance of becoming a cylon) to act efficiently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 4 Player Base game - Cylon Loyalty quesiton.
Yeah, it's actually statistically likely that there are no Cylons pre-sleeper.

If you're playing with the Sympathizer* then the humans often play to "tank a resource" so that one resource ends up in the red before Distance 4, and therefore the Sympathizer stays "human".

If the humans do too well pre-sleeper, and especially if they optimally jump from 3 to 6 distance, then any post-sleeper Cylon is going to have a very difficult time trying to win. So sometimes players will be somewhat suboptimal in the early game anyway, just in case they become the Cylon.

*but don't play with the Sympathizer, if you can help it, especially with 4 players. Try the Official No Sympathizer Variant instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Ambrose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Another question.

I know the chance is very slim, but what happens if a player gets the Cylon loyalty card from the outset and somehow stays hidden through the first phase of the game, and then draws the 'sympathiser' card as well?

They can't give it away because they would be revealing themselves, and yet they can't keep it because it says to give it to another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
VincentHannah wrote:
Another question.

I know the chance is very slim, but what happens if a player gets the Cylon loyalty card from the outset and somehow stays hidden through the first phase of the game, and then draws the 'sympathiser' card as well?

They can't give it away because they would be revealing themselves, and yet they can't keep it because it says to give it to another player.

The sympathiser immediately reveals the card, and definitely is the sympathiser if they are a human player (including an unrevealed cylon)

If a resource is in the red, they get brigged, and then that card is treated as a YANAC card, but the player is still actually a cylon, the other players just dont know. (Incredibly unlucky if this happens to you, but maybe you can convince the humans to let you out anyway)

If all resources are in the blue, then they are a cylon sympathiser and have to go to the resurrection ship.
By using the resurrection ship they can pass their cylon loyalty card to another player, and turn that other player into a cylon.

They basically get to pick who their teammate is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify Starfox's statement:
As long as your "You Are A Cylon" Loyalty Card is facedown, you follow all game mechanics as if you were a Human player. Your motivations are the only thing that differ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Ambrose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The way it panned out was:

Helo - Cylon from the beginning. He stayed undetected through the 1st phase of the game.

Me - Gaius Baltar. Human and president from the outset. Towards the end of the first phase, everyone else decided I was most likely the cylon and brigged me. I lost my presidency to...

Apollo.

Adama was Admiral.

During second phase we were somehow still in the blue (just) and Admiral Adama drew the cylon sympathiser card and became a cylon.

He handed his other loyalty card facedown to Apollo. I then used my one use ability (on my next turn) to look at Apollo's loyalty cards and all three said 'You are a human'

As it was a 4 player game, I knew I was Human, Adama was a reduced ability cylon and having looked at Apollo's cards I knew he was also human so it only left Helo. Unfortunately Apollo didn't believe I was being truthful when I accused Helo (he still thought I was the other cylon)

Humans lost due to two Cylon attack crysis cards in quick succession and 2x very unfortunate civilian ship losses (both were 6 population!)

Does it sound like we played the loyalty part correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VincentHannah wrote:
I was most likely the cylon and brigged me. I lost my presidency to...

You remain President even in the brig. You need to call a new election in Administration to remove the presidency. (Each Quorum card has an Action:, and the President title card allows you to draw more, so you don't need to be in the President's Office/Quorum Chamber to play or draw Quorum cards.)

VincentHannah wrote:

In the base game the passing of loyalty card(s) requires an action in a cylon location (Resurrection ship?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Ambrose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
a1bert wrote:
VincentHannah wrote:
I was most likely the cylon and brigged me. I lost my presidency to...

You remain President even in the brig. You need to call a new election in Administration to remove the presidency. (Each Quorum card has an Action:, and the President title card allows you to draw more, so you don't need to be in the President's Office/Quorum Chamber to play or draw Quorum cards.)

Sorry I wasn't clear on that. After they brigged me, one player went to Colonial one and used the action to call change president using the skill check, the other two players helped him pass the skill check.

VincentHannah wrote:

a1bert wrote:
In the base game the passing of loyalty card(s) requires an action in a cylon location (Resurrection ship?).

Sounds like we messed up that bit then, as the sympathiser who became a reduced ability cylon passed the remaining loyalty cardd over as soon as he moved to the resurrection ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VincentHannah wrote:
After they brigged me, one player went to Colonial one and used the action to call change president using the skill check, the other two players helped him pass the skill check.

Did they learn a lesson there?

A struggle for power works into the cylons' hands. (Yes, we did that too in our first games..)

1) They gave the brigged player/you no chance to prove yourself through your actions, it was word against word. Worse because/if there were no suspicious actions to throw you into the brig in the first place. Even if the brigged player is a cylon, they might help you instead of revealing if you give them a chance. Now they wasted an action in Administration without any proof.

2) They helped the cylon and were thus low on cards for future crisis. If you are not sure who to trust, let them spend the cards themselves. That way you have your cards and they don't when the truth comes out.

Oops. Sorry for the strategy 'spoilers'. I'll behave now... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me, in Apollo's late-game position, I'd just have tossed Helo in the Brig and left both of you there until someone confessed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
...confessed...

Nice euphemism for 'becoming an hero and downloading'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Ambrose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
rmsgrey wrote:
Me, in Apollo's late-game position, I'd just have tossed Helo in the Brig and left both of you there until someone confessed...

Well I didn't really give a proper run-down.

After I was brigged as President and before the other human player managed to take it off me, I used a Quorum card to brig Helo as well.

Unfortunately we played the game wrong as when Adama became the sympathiser cylon, we gave the admiralty to Helo as he was next in line of succession (even though he was in the brig)

We should have passed the admiralty to Apollo at this point, but instead we let the brigged Admiral decide our jump route.

Eventually we read the rules correctly but he was able to do more damage from the brig than anyone normally would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Sounds like we messed up that bit then, as the sympathiser who became a reduced ability cylon passed the remaining loyalty cardd over as soon as he moved to the resurrection ship.

I think this is a common houserule that you can do that. Just like it's a common houserule that you use some of the other rules that were fixed in the expansions even if playing the base game (i.e. how you handle Investigative Committee).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.