Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Albert Wesker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all. Had our first game recently and here are the questions that came up during play. If anyone can help out, I would be grateful.

1- When do you collect the discovery tile after you kill the ancient, is it straight after combat or on your next action on next round when you place a disc on the hex?

2- When discarding a hex you chose to explore with, can anyone else take that hex which is now placed face up or is it only the person who discarded it?

3- What happens if two players arrive at a hex with an ancient on it just before combat phase? Say two players arrive to the center tile, does the ancient station attack? Do we first have to fight each other, then choose to attack the station?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Only when you put your disc (note that you can do it after battles if there are no enemy ships and you have yours).

2. I'm not sure what you ask about. It's your turn. You draw a hex, reveal it and decide if place it or discard.
However if particular stack is empty, discarded hexes may be used again to draw (new stack).

3. Treat ancients as any other player who where there as first (you know that all battles in a hex are resolved in a reverse order of entering?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Wesker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Thank you.

2 - To my knowledge when you discard a hex, you can still choose to play it when you explore later on in the game. That is what I recall anyway.

3 - I only played a 2 player game, the game finished before we could attack each other. lol. We only attacked ancients. On my last go I managed to kill the middle station, but as there were no more action phases left after that combat I did not even get to put a disc on it

I think I need to read the rules book again perhaps. There is so much information. But after the first game, everything seems a lot more easier to understand now.

Thank you for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2) You'd place the rejected hex at the bottom of the stack, face up (so you know when you've exhausted the stack). When you a player reaches that point in the stack again, he/she can explore that hex. It doesn't sit outside the stack separately as a tile that can be explored flexibly--it goes back in the pile if you reject it.

3) You'd first fight each other. The victor would then fight the ancients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Wesker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drammattex wrote:
2) You'd place the rejected hex at the bottom of the stack, face up (so you know when you've exhausted the stack). When you a player reaches that point in the stack again, he/she can explore that hex. It doesn't sit outside the stack separately as a tile that can be explored flexibly--it goes back in the pile if you reject it.

That clears that up. Cheers.

Cannot wait for my next game. So far I have rated it an 8, I will reevaluate that score once I play it another 3-4 more times, hopefully with more people next time. I can see it easily getting a higher score once we fully understand the game and play it faster too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wesker wrote:
Drammattex wrote:

Cannot wait for my next game. So far I have rated it an 8, I will reevaluate that score once I play it another 3-4 more times, hopefully with more people next time. I can see it easily getting a higher score once we fully understand the game and play it faster too.

Quick chime in, just to make sure you caught this. After a battle, if there are no more enemies in the Hex, the person who still has a ship in the hex can place an influence token and claim the area, as well as spend any available colony actions to colonize the area.

In your above explanation, you took the Center on the very last round. You would have been able to place an influence token there (if you had any left on your track) and colonize (if you had some colonization left this round) to take ownership of the hex and gain the points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Wesker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RruinerR wrote:
Wesker wrote:
Drammattex wrote:

Quick chime in, just to make sure you caught this. After a battle, if there are no more enemies in the Hex, the person who still has a ship in the hex can place an influence token and claim the area, as well as spend any available colony actions to colonize the area.

In your above explanation, you took the Center on the very last round. You would have been able to place an influence token there (if you had any left on your track) and colonize (if you had some colonization left this round) to take ownership of the hex and gain the points.

Interesting

When I actually flipped an hex that did not have an ancient on it, I would place a disc on it asap. But I thought that during battle phase or straight after it, you could not place anything on the tile, even though you beat the ancient, that you would have to wait for you next action phase to do so. Perhaps this minor error was the reason the game seemed to progress a little slow and the reason why we never got to battle each other.

Thank you for your input. I will definitely be reading the manual again before playing next time as it seems we made small errors like this on our initial play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wesker wrote:
RruinerR wrote:
Wesker wrote:
Drammattex wrote:

Interesting

When I actually flipped an hex that did not have an ancient on it, I would place a disc on it asap. But I thought that during battle phase or straight after it, you could not place anything on the tile, even though you beat the ancient, that you would have to wait for you next action phase to do so. Perhaps this minor error was the reason the game seemed to progress a little slow and the reason why we never got to battle each other.

Thank you for your input. I will definitely be reading the manual again before playing next time as it seems we made small errors like this on our initial play through.

Yeah, read the rulebook again. There is a lot to cover....
That being said, when you explore you are allowed (do not have to) place an influence disk immediately.
In other words, you played it correctly.
If there is a discovery tile, you get it whenever the influence disk is placed. Note that this means, if you do not influence the system, someone else can get a discovery tile you found. (rare, but possible.)

Combat is a different rule. After ALL combats of the round are resolved, you can place influence disks in any system that contains one of your ships and does not have an influence disk. This is usually a system that you were victorious after a battle, but does not have to be.
If there is a discovery tile (after an ancient battle) you would get it only at this point. The rules for picking up a discovery tile are always the same--after an influence disk is placed.

The rejected tiles are actually quite simple. They are unavailable, until the original stack is depleted. After that, all the rejected tiles are shuffled and make a new stack. I usually stack the rejected tiles off to the side until needed, but you can easily put them face up under the original stack as well.

So, for example;
whenever a player explores a hex he doesn't want, he puts it face up in a separate stack. All rejected III ring tiles would obviously be in a separate stack from II & I. Once the original III ring tile stack is depleted, the rejected III ring tiles are turned face down and shuffled; they become the new III ring tile stack. This can be repeated if necessary (but usually is not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you have the proper order of resolving battles and some things later (in reality you often don't follow it strictly, because it's not necessary and only is slower):
-resolve all battles
-in any hex where there is a ship and enemy population, roll for killing (doesn't matter if there was a battle at all)
-in any hex where there is a ship, enemy disc and no population, remove the disc
-in any hex where you have a ship and there is no enemy disc, you may place your disc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McDonnell

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
It's normal to get a few things wrong the first time around. You have to read the manual three or four times in order to fully absorb every little nuance. I'd say that goes for most manuals. If you read the manual once and are now playing a game, there is at least one rule that is not being followed or is being done incorrectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.