Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to decide between these two (no, "both" is sadly not an option) and would like to know how they play with 2p, and which may be the better choice.

My main gaming partner is my wife, and we're both comfortable with heavier games, so that's not a problem. Theme-wise, I like them both, but am leaning more towards Lords than Petz.

We also want to scale up to 4p, which it seems that both are good at. I've watched both rahdo videos, and still can't decide after seeing them. I'm not worried about the difficulty of Lords, and I like the puzzle aspect of both games (I LOVE Mage Knight for this reason).

So which do you recommend for 2p?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: though I own both, I haven't tried DL with two yet

That said, I'd go Petz myself, simply because the mechanism for adapting it to 2p seems much more straightforward. In Petz you just have a few imps, walking along a path and blocking different action spaces each turn. In 2p Lords you're actually selecting actions for a non-human player. That certainly provides opportunities for clever, puzzle-like play (which you said you enjoy) but it also seems rather cumbersome, as though you're controlling an extra half-player. In Petz, you'll be playing more or less the same game whether you have 2, 3, or 4 players. In Lords a lower player count means having to do some things twice -- if you or your wife is AP-prone that might get rough.

Sounds like you could really go either way. Hopefully this gives you a little more to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Dungeon Lords, and my wife and I hated it for 2p. There's a lot of upkeep going on with the dummy players. Without having played it, I say go with Dungeon Petz. It can't be as bad as Dungeon Lords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Each game page has a Suggested Number of Players poll with inputs from many folks. Just look at that.

(I've played both 2p several times and agree with the polls' preference for Petz.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Distad
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have played quite a bit of both Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Pets as 2 Player. They both work decently well 2 player, but I would lean toward Dungeon Pets.

We started playing Dungeon Lords as 2 player, so we learned the game with the dummy hand and so it never felt odd to us. Lords has a bit more going on in it - it's a bit heavier game in just sheer bit tracking, especially with the dummy hands. That said, there is certain satisfaction in defeating the incoming heroes that you won't get in Pets.

Some of the really interesting interaction in Lords is the Evil Meter - which applies somewhat less in a 2 player... its gets much more interesting in a higher player count.

Pets definitely has a strong puzzle element as well, but it scales a bit more smoothly, and the game flows a bit more smoothly. There isn't something like the Evil meter where the interaction is lessened with less players. Your main interaction is the bidding and placing. Lots of meaningful decisions, the puzzle element (satisfying the needs of pets), and the game seems to play a bit quicker too.

If you really want that "combat" element, Dungeon Lords will definitely work 2p, but be prepared for the extra stuff to keep track of. Otherwise, Dungeon Pets is a good choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C L
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've never played DL, but fwiw, when I've seen this topic come up before, almost all of the responders recommend DP over DL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Crane
United States
Sherman Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll just add another vote for Petz.

I've played both with 2p. While both are better with more players, even with only 2 they are still both among my favorites. Petz handles 2 a tiny bit better for all the reasons explained above.

That said, if the theme of Lords really pulls at you more than Petz does, it is still a very, very good game with 2, and if you don't mind the upkeep on Mage Knight then the upkeep on both Dungeon games 2p will be fine for you as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Dungeon Lords. 2-player not so good.

Get Dungeon Petz. No contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Petz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and play both mainly with two and would Say Dungeon Petz hands down. I love both games but DP is way easier to get into and the wife will love it. It's adorable. The expansion is a must have if you do end up liking it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the voices are unanimous - Dungeon Petz it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Daybreak wrote:
Looks like the voices are unanimous - Dungeon Petz it is!

I'd like to add that as soon as I played DP I immediately ran out and bought Dungeon Lords. They are both unique and worth owning. Just better to start with DP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband prefers Dungeon Lords, I prefer Dungeon Petz. But both of us like both of them...does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Guibord
Canada
Vaudreuil-dorion
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both games. They are among my favorites. I actually, overall, prefer dungeon lords. But, has others have said, with 2 players, petz does it better than lords. I played both games with 2 players and it flows better in petz. You just move around dummy goblins following arrows. In lords, you almost have to actually play the dummy players. Granted 2 put of 3 actions they do are random but still. Lords does offer a bit more strategy since you have some control over the dummy players me but most people think they already have enough to think about with their own turn.

So while both work. Petz is just better with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.