Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Hatch
United States
Paris
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may just be a personal opinion but I would like to here others opinions on the topic. But, when I play this game the victories or when you win just seem so uneventful or anti-climactic compared to the epic adventure had throughout. It just feels that going back to Baghdad after reaching your set score seems so insignificant after the amazing adventures you took part in. Anyone else get this feeling or something similar? If so, I would love to here your thoughts on the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Harris
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Unassuming Victories?
I feel the same way, but the journey is so much fun it almost doesn't matter how it ends. It's sort of like life, it's not the end that's so important, but all the good bits in the middle that end up mattering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Snow
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
University of Utah - Go Utes!
mbmbmbmbmb
Has never bothered me because the game is not really designed for anyone to care about who wins. The "winner" mechanism is really more like a "time to stop playing" mechanism. The game could, in theory, just keep going and going with more and more encounters. This game is definitely more about the journey than the destination.

It is a different game for sure. I think it is important to explain to new players that it is about developing a story and just having fun. If someone is in the mood to stomp on the other players and beat everyone, this is probably not a game they will enjoy. As you say, even if you "win," it is an empty sort of victory.

So yes, going back to Baghdad and declaring a winner is definitely anti-climactic, but that is by design. Finding joy in the journey is what to aim for with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Hatch
United States
Paris
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not saying that I do not enjoy the story nor that the journey is not the most important. Quite the opposite rather. I was just thinking that since the story/journey is the most important part, that shouldn't the ending be great if it had some epic final encounter to bring your story to a satisfying close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the victory conditions in Tales is nothing more than a convenient end-game trigger. There are a lot of ups and downs in the game. I hear what you are saying in pursuit of a climactic finish but I'm not sure how you would accomplish that within the existing game mechanics. It seems to me that in order to introduce tension at the finish you would need an additional encounter that contains a fair chance of failure. I'm not sure how that would go over with the player that reached his goals, journeyed back to Baghdad and then got turned into a swine by a grumpy djinn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Hatch
United States
Paris
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have no idea how you could accomplish this in the current game. I agree it is a convenient timer. Perhaps if there was a set of encounters for after you met your story and destiny point goals that you can encounter at the end. It would be interesting to see maybe a fan made supplement it could be called "Matrix Fin"

For Example: You land on Baghdad and do your standard turn order. Then when you declare that you can win the game you do a final encounter on the New Matrix. This matrix could be similar to matrix N but each encounter would lead to an exciting story end, and maybe these choices would change based on the number of story and destiny points you chose for your end goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never bothered me, but things can go totally wrong in baghdad as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Hatch
United States
Paris
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very true. I have had it happen twice actually. Both times returning after completing quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deathworks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Actually, I think the anti-climactic victory fits the game very well. Think about it - the game consists of more or less unrelated events that make your character grow and develop to the experienced and maybe famous and rich or notorious person who returns to Baghdad. It is quite reasonable that there is no one climax at the end as we are not talking about a great quest (as in preparing to kill the great dragon/necromancer where the entire game is the preparation for the great showdown). The climax might diminish the impact of the encounters that have brought you there - and that would actually detract from what the game is about.

Yours,
Deathworks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also say thematically the game doesn't need a climactic end in keeping with the tradition of Arabian storytelling. It's exactly like the beginning of the stories of Sinbad, a wealthy man who relates the tales of his many voyages that brought him from poverty to wealth, back to poverty and then wealth again.

The game is you having adventures like Sinbad, then retiring from the life of a merchant/wanderer and sharing your many exciting tales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ritz
United States
Kelseyville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After much consideration and gameplay, I've finally decided to skip this rule of the game. Once someone has scored their points, they reveal them and are victorious (without returning to Bagdad)

I played this way for the first time tonight with some new players, and it went over very well. Everyone wants to play again next week, and even some people from another table expressed an interest in playing after seeing how much fun we had.

In my experience (more than 10 plays), most people- even gamer type people, by the time they have amassed 20 points are really quite ready to be finished and move on to something else. The trip back to Bagdad is usually an easy extra half an hour (more if you are playing with more than 4 people). This simply drags down the gameplay for most because all they can hope for is that the person winning might get hosed over with insane or ensorcelled (only to make for an even longer ending).

Tonight, things were ended quickly and profoundly. Everyone thought they had a shot, until one of us shot ahead completing a quest and a few things chained together as well (married and vizier). It left people wanting more and ready to come back to it.

That's my advice... try it once without going back. I for one, won't "go back" to playing it the other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Chevy Chase
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, my girlfriend and I played a game with a rather climactic ending, going by the standard rules. Among other things, she was married, accursed and sex-changed, so she was always heading back to Baghdad, and even though she had already accumulated enough points, she couldn't win the game while sex-changed.

As it turned out, she went back to Baghdad and encountered a Gooleh (can't remember the adjective), who was mother to a pack of little gools, and the entire clan set upon my girlfriend's character and ate her (that is, they killed her). So she died a horrible, gruesome, dramatic death, but in doing so, she lost all her statuses, including sex-changed, which then allowed her to win on the spot, a rather poetic turn of events fraught with karma. It made for a fantastic story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.