Subject: Upgrade Tile 59 with Tile 36? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the last page of the rules it says that you can upgrade Tile 59 with Tile 36. How is that possible? Rules: 7.2.2. point 3: All track segments on the replaced must be maintained in the same orientations on the new tail.

But this is not the case here, is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van M.
Netherlands
Tilburg
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's doesn't seem like it, indeed. And in my version there's not mentioned that you can do that replacement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which version do you have? I have the Mayfair Games Edition (English and German).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I downloaded the Mayfair rules, and errata. Seems like their numbering system is the problem. Per the Mayfair errata sheet dated Jan. 3, 2012, the til oo13 (new Mayfair numbering system) should not have the old numbering of (36).

Basically tiles oo13 and oo14 are new, and do not have corresponding tiles listed in the old canon.

The tiles provided do offer valid route upgrades from tile oo2 (59).

However, tile oo1 is listed as old number (626). This is problematic, as Blackwater station lists tile 626 as a non-city tile. But even if you are willing to ignore that, tile 001 has a pair of cities where each city has exits on adjacent sides of the hexagon. Clearly some of the tiles listed as valid upgrades do not match. The pdf I am viewing is a bit hard to read, but I believe only oo15 and oo17 should be valid upgrades for oo1.

Why did Mayfair opt to make their own numbering system? Some of this confusion was avoidable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van M.
Netherlands
Tilburg
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernhard Vierthaler wrote:
Which version do you have? I have the Mayfair Games Edition (English and German).

I have the Dutch edition, which basicly is the new Mayfair edition, but maybe they revised the page with al the tiles listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This collected errata may help. Let me know if I need to add something to that list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin_Whitmore wrote:
Why did Mayfair opt to make their own numbering system?

Was this ever adequately explained, or was it just another bone-headed decision by Mayfair?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Kevin_Whitmore wrote:
Why did Mayfair opt to make their own numbering system?

Was this ever adequately explained, or was it just another bone-headed decision by Mayfair?

The reprint appears to have been made with no acknowledgment that there is a wide 18xx genre or reference databases. Its almost like Mayfair was trying to deliberately alienate the most enthusiastic portion of 1830's fanbase. Or if they weren't, I'm not sure how they could have better accomplished it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
The reprint appears to have been made with no acknowledgment that there is a wide 18xx genre or reference databases. Its almost like Mayfair was trying to deliberately alienate the most enthusiastic portion of 1830's fanbase. Or if they weren't, I'm not sure how they could have better accomplished it.

I'd speculate that they're trying to 1) reinvent the 18xx fanbase and 2) cut down on customer support emails.

Regarding 1), they see things like the existing nonsensical tile numbering as barriers to entry. If they can reinvent the tile numbering ab initio for a large enough fanbase then it matters a lot less that some train-grognards keep insisting that those are the WRONG numbers.

Regarding 2), if they hadn't renumbered the tiles then casual players would pick up the game, look at the components, and email customer support because their tile numbers start with 7 and where are tiles 1-6?

As I write it out, I strongly suspect that 2) is the real reason and 1) is an additional justification. I can't even say they're necessarily wrong, from their perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.