Subject: Tiers/Balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Kirk
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
So I love Kaosball, and given the other kickstarter I backed recently, I am glad I backed it because otherwise I might have missed out on all future kickstarters.

Anyways, does anyone have an idea on what the balance in this game is? I think my only concern lies in the balance of the teams, and I was wondering if any of the more advanced/competitive gamers have thought out a tier/ranking system. I feel that teams like the Amazons (hate the stupid Amazons)are much better overall than teams like the Hellcats. With 10+ teams, there cant be a perfect balance, can there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played as:

Ogres
Daemons
Fangs
Paragons
Zombies
Goblins
Klockwerks
Barbarians
Trolls

I've played against:

Samurai
Daemons
Amazons
Lycans
Pirates
Cowboys
Fangs
Edit: Forgot I've played against the Valks too.

Of all the games I have played I actually thought the Fangs were among the top 3 strongest.

The Amazons are tricky to play against, but you can tackle them all day long; I actually prefer to try to set up an area they have to enter so I get to react and tackle first to offset their fight advantage. They only have 3 bruisers (counting the ringer of course), so once 1-2 of those are down they're not as big a threat as you might think. A well placed wall (which blocks diagonal kill zones BTW) or even a well timed Boot to the Head will get you far. Otherwise move, get in position, and try to bait them if you can.

As for the Hellcats? While I haven't played as them, or against them, I think they play the long game and want to tackle. Being able to simply tackle an opposing runner or two and claim them as minor scoring mounds sounds wonderful to me, especially if I run the ball back and hide behind a couple of bruisers.

It's always a question of positioning and timing in KB. But can there be a perfect balance? That's a good question that I do not think anyone can yet answer. I'd be VERY surprised to see a core set team actually be overpowered, however. Heck, I thought the Lycans would be overpowered with their ability to shape shift, but that DEFINITELY isn't so. I thought the Daemons Ping of Doom™ would be difficult to overcome.

Right now the team I struggle most against are the Samurai, and the ringer that I find the hardest to deal with is Cthulhu; with Maze a close second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ckirk314 wrote:
So I love Kaosball, and given the other kickstarter I backed recently, I am glad I backed it because otherwise I might have missed out on all future kickstarters.

Anyways, does anyone have an idea on what the balance in this game is? I think my only concern lies in the balance of the teams, and I was wondering if any of the more advanced/competitive gamers have thought out a tier/ranking system. I feel that teams like the Amazons (hate the stupid Amazons)are much better overall than teams like the Hellcats. With 10+ teams, there cant be a perfect balance, can there?

Some matchups are flatout just going to be harder than others. Ringers/Upgrades are the mechanic to even that out, but you arn't always going to see that ringer you really need and upgrades can get brutally expensive forcing you to not use vital cheat cards in game when they can turn the tide of the game.

Amazons are always going to give people fits because of their 1) +2 Atk and 2)diagonal killzones mean they can attack you without reaction. But if you focus on tackling their runners and forcing high energy cards out to defend it, they risk taking damage from failed Atk contests (which at 2 health is no small penalty). Better to allow them kills as you rack up end of period points with your runners as they focus on slowing your bruisers. If you are someone like the Goblins with no bonus stats and low health, you're in big trouble without Scatter showing up in your hand. But all it takes is one solid round for the Goblins to steal a win by benching.

Other difficult matches are ones like Ogres vs Trolls. Same Atk stat, but Trolls have a +1 difference in tackling. Ogres Stomp ability is really hampered by the requirement of happening before activation. Trolls can set up field control with trash and feel very confident going into any contest. Trolls also have the health advantage if Ogres feel like Attacking is their only option. Trolls very heavily favored in this matchup so an Ogre player really is playing catchup from the get-go, especailly if the Troll player takes a defensive playstyle, forcing the Orges to initiate the action and always at a disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
As folks get more games under their belt, I'd love to see some sort of tier system set up. Some of the games I've played felt *wildly* out of balance - Trolls vs. Goblins, for example, I couldn't get near his ringers or bruisers, as every time he tackled me handily. Very hard to figure that one out, even with a good ringer and some nice abilities. If by chance there weren't any interesting abilities or ringers out for auction, that game would have easily been a blowout. That +2 modifier is just insurmountable!

Perhaps offer a handicap to some teams, like extra cash to help make up for the difference in quality? The trick is, some teams are great against other teams, but perhaps less so against yet others... So this likely won't be an easy problem to solve!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
As folks get more games under their belt, I'd love to see some sort of tier system set up. Some of the games I've played felt *wildly* out of balance - Trolls vs. Goblins, for example, I couldn't get near his ringers or bruisers, as every time he tackled me handily. Very hard to figure that one out, even with a good ringer and some nice abilities. If by chance there weren't any interesting abilities or ringers out for auction, that game would have easily been a blowout. That +2 modifier is just insurmountable!

Perhaps offer a handicap to some teams, like extra cash to help make up for the difference in quality? The trick is, some teams are great against other teams, but perhaps less so against yet others... So this likely won't be an easy problem to solve!

Goblins + Speed Training. Take Brick (thats the one that lets you take damage instead of being knocked down right?) against someone like the Trolls. He will have to Attack you instead of tackle or else he sets himself up to be Moshed. Save money during bidding for Cheats. Goblins will rarely win by controlling the ball or scoring or killing, they just need to set up one good period to bench your figures and win by blowout. Keep that in mind. A good Goblin player should be playing a far different game than any other team.

Edit: Brick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigfoote wrote:
Take Hardy (thats the one that lets you take damage instead of being knocked down right?)

That upgrade is Brick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.