Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Morgan
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,

My wife and I are looking for a new two-player game. I was wondering what set would make for a good (balanced) set for us to begin playing with, while keeping with in a reasonable budget. I was thinking:

1 Core Set

1 X-Wing
1 B-Wing

1 Tie Fighter
1 Tie Advanced

Do we need one more Empire ship to equal things out? Maybe I'd add Slave 1 and Millennium Falcon to that list as well since they look like lots of fun.

Would that make for some balanced fun?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not using any upgrade cards (which I'd stay away from for the first game or two), those two teams are pretty close, points-wise (if you use mostly unnamed pilots).

Later, I'd add the second TIE fighter from the starter and the upgrade cards. Then decide where to go from there.

The great thing about the game is the huge variety of teams you can build. Each ship has several named and generic pilots, and the skill cards, weapons, and crew/droid cards all let a ship play by a different set of rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems okay to me, although I would (and did) go with two core sets (instead of X-wing and TIE Fighter expansions). You can always print out the pilot and upgrade cards because you are playing casually, and extra dice from the core set are fairly largely required. It is also nice to have a damage deck for each side.

I started with
- A core set
- Another core set immediately (they were on sale, and the first game was fun!)
- TIE Advanced (for Vader) and Y-Wing
- B-Wing and TIE Bomber
And lately
- Millennium Falcon and Imperial Aces

If I started now, I would probably leave Y-Wing and TIE Bomber for later, and then the list closely resembles what you're considering.

Just don't buy too much at once and try to keep balance between the sides. After a few games and trying to build your squadrons you'll have a better idea what ships you would like to fly.

(Edit: Like mentioned above, the point system keeps a fairly good balance between the sides/teams. The number of ships is not the deciding factor. Usually Imperials end up having more, but more fragile ships flying.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
2 core sets first, and then:

TIE Interceptor
TIE Advanced
B-Wing
A-Wing or Y-Wing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Morgan
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Excellent advice. So what I'm hearing is:

Step 1:
2 Core Sets (Seems to be a widely agreed place to start)

Step 2:
B-Wing
Y-Wing
Tie Advanced
Tie Bomber?

Step 3:
Imperial Aces
Millennium Falcon

That's a great way to roll out and stay within the gaming budget. Maybe I'd scratch the bomber and go for the Imperial Aces set sooner.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren B.
msg tools
mbmb
Just make sure to use the asteroids! Some skip asteroids for their first games but they are really an essential part of the game. Maneuvering is far more interesting with asteroids and games tend to end up in simple jousting without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I started with three core sets (not necessary but that was when Target was selling them really cheap) and then bought an extra X-Wing, an extra TIE and a TIE Advanced:

Rebel:
4 X-Wing

Imperial:
1 TIE Advanced
7 TIE Fighter

I actually just purchased online and waiting for them to come in an Imperial Aces set as well as a fifth X-Wing (I just really like that ship) but another rebel ship would work as well. Here will be my list of stuff after that order comes in:

Rebel:
5 X-Wing

Imperial:
1 TIE Advanced
2 TIE Interceptor
7 TIE Fighter

I try and keep a 2:1 ratio between Imperial and rebels as the rebel ships are for the most part more powerful unarmed. Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I was just thinking about coming here and searching the threads for information like this. Nice to see one on the front page...
I am in the same boat, trying to figure out what to get. I have been trying to decide between two core sets or one core set with an extra Tie Fighter and X-Wing expansion thrown in. I will keep reading some more and look through some older threads and see which if I can find any info on which would be the better buy at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Morgan
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
EYEL1NER wrote:
Hmmm, I was just thinking about coming here and searching the threads for information like this. Nice to see one on the front page...
I am in the same boat, trying to figure out what to get. I have been trying to decide between two core sets or one core set with an extra Tie Fighter and X-Wing expansion thrown in. I will keep reading some more and look through some older threads and see which if I can find any info on which would be the better buy at this point.

Please share any good tips you find if you discover some while digging through older threads.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYEL1NER wrote:

If you think you're just going to be playing at home get the 2nd core set over the standalone x-wing and Tie fighter. For tournaments, the standalone expansions are almost required for the pilots. But at home, you can just print off the cards and play casually. At home its much better to have an extra set of maneuver templates plus the dice are very handy.

Likewise, suggesting a 40 point tournament at your FLGS will go pretty far, its a lot of fun and requires very little to accomplish! (you can get there with with a core + expansion of each: tie/xwing)

100 point Tournament lists that are very easy to create with minimal investment (and not bad to work towards)

Falcon + 2x-wings (rookies)
Howlrunner + 4 ties, Bounty hunter

Both of those lists simultaneously will require 2 core sets, an extra tie expansion, Millenium falcon, and Slave 1 expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely get 2 Core sets, not only for the ships, but so you don't have to fight over maneuver templates and you have more dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Wittwer
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would still recommend two Core Sets, the Falcon and Slave 1 as a start. The large ships are fun to play. A B-Wing and an Interceptor would then be next for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
Eventually you will get at least 3 of everything, so its probably not worth worrying about at this point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Schmidt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironman99 wrote:
Eventually you will get at least 3 of everything, so its probably not worth worrying about at this point

I'm glad this game is sold in little bite sized chunks, I don't want to think about the total that I've spent gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schmidtjas wrote:
ironman99 wrote:

I'm glad this game is sold in little bite sized chunks, I don't want to think about the total that I've spent gulp

I'm making myself a chess set using these models. Think that is going to be a $600 (Australian) chess set in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marco_polo9 wrote:
EYEL1NER wrote:

Please share any good tips you find if you discover some while digging through older threads.

Thanks!

I've decided that I am just looking to get the bare minimum right now, so I have not been able to find too much in previous threads that I can use, since everyone seems to recommend a couple things. I just bought a core set on Amazon and am thinking about buying one more core set and a plano to store it all in. I think (and Jon up there seems to confirm) that I should be able to have fun with just two core sets for now, 4 Ties and 2 X-Wings. Everything I have seen seems to suggest that you want a 2:1 ratio for Ties and X-Wings. I will eventually start picking up more things and rounding out my collection, but I think two core sets right now will be my best bet. I'm hoping that small a ship pool doesn't grow stale quickly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.