Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Nolan
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this topic has been posted before - at least for rarer war games, E-Bay now seems to be dominated by just one or sometimes two sellers....this may be an instance of natural progression at work (market small enough to support very few sellers) - but this seems to be a recent phenomenon. When I first started checking E-Bay a few years back for same, there was no such dominance.
And I know I have sold at least one rare game on E-Bay (never going to play) that was purchased by one of these sellers!
What it means is that my days of buying the occasional rare game may be over........is anyone else similarly frustrated?

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Not really, because these sellers are major OOP retailers that have both an eBay presence and a retail website. They have major overhead, as they stock thousands, if not tens of thousands of items, so they aren't some single owner selling off a title or two at a time.

Perhaps the market has dried up for other reasons. Selling on eBay is expensive, filled with challenges/risks, and there aren't too many grail games that demand such risks for little reward. Plus, there are many other avenues such as CSW, BGG, etc. I appreciate these larger seller's and their prices, because then I can sell at a higher price when I'm unloading a grail game.

transchair wrote:
Not sure if this topic has been posted before - at least for rarer war games, E-Bay now seems to be dominated by just one or sometimes two sellers....this may be an instance of natural progression at work (market small enough to support very few sellers) - but this seems to be a recent phenomenon. When I first started checking E-Bay a few years back for same, there was no such dominance.
And I know I have sold at least one rare game on E-Bay (never going to play) that was purchased by one of these sellers!
What it means is that my days of buying the occasional rare game may be over........is anyone else similarly frustrated?

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to assume you're a registered eBay user....

Use the "saved searches" feature. I have seen the issue with just one or two sellers with the items I want, and at high prices, so I set a saved search for what I'm looking for and wait for the items to pop up. It takes patience and I get some false positives, but I have scored a lot of the items I've been hunting for at a fraction of the cost of the limited regular sellers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
transchair wrote:

I'm having no harder a time buying the occasional rare game now than a few years ago.

You're seem to be confusing the strong presence of these retailers for "dominance" when it's actually just seeing the depth of their catalogs now available through eBay. So when you do a search for x game you're likely to see their listings which stay up for a long time because they tend to be very expensive and therefore hang around much longer than better deals.

If you click on "sold listings" on the left side you'll see that actual sold games are not at all dominated by one or two sellers.

This search for sold listings matching "Starcraft Board Game" shows that actual sold items are moving from a wide array of sellers:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.