Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Fisher
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 6 player game. We came to a point were no one had a collection of 3 or more cards (so no one could exhibit). Since no one was able to exhibit, we could not advance our tokens to finish the game. We ended up giving the game to the two people who were farther on the board.

Is this just a fluke? Has it happen to anyone else?

I had only play 3 or 4 player games and was indifferent on whether I liked Hoity Toity or not. I was enjoying the 6 player aspect until we had ran out of cards to purchase from the auction hall and everyone was playing the castle phase.

Thanks,
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are doing something wrong. Cards never leave the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds odd. My copy of the game only goes up to 5 players, so I don't have your edition, but on an equal distribution, everyone would have at least 8 cards right? So how can you have 8 cards and NOT have a set? I think that the most cards you could hold and not form a set is 6.

For example :-
AA CC EE - Add any card to that and you have a set - as follows :-

A = AAA
B = BAA
C = CCC
D = CCD
E = EEE
F = EEF

First column shows a 7th card drawn and column 2 shows a set formed.

Maybe I'm not understanding something about your version of the game?

EDIT: Noting Brad's point - that is correct - cards don't leave the game - you retain the cards you play in your exhibitions (unless stolen by thieves of course) so if the Auction House is cleared, several players should have sets, because all the exhibit cards are in players' hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the newest version titled "Hoity Toity" does play up to 6 players.

That is the version I have.

Yeah something was not done properly it would seem as I don't know how someone would not be able to exhibit in a 6 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish my version accommodated six players. Also, I am almost certain that something went wrong in your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yup, reread the rules. Something went wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fisher
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reread rules - we were playing wrong

We had thought that a set consisted of only one letter type.

We also did not move the token when playing the detective.shake

So much for skimming the rule book. You think my gaming partners would stop letting me be the one to explain games. (But I do win a lot devil)

Thanks for all your input,

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you got that sorted.

It's good to see this game being discussed anyway. It's brilliant at what it does and is a great game - so easy to understand and explain (as long as you don't skim the rules TOO quickly!!) - to gamers and non-gamers alike. Simple and seemingly light, and yet the decisions are agonizing!

A Spiel des Jahres winner by Klaus Teuber, of "Settlers" fame no less, and a favourite of mine for almost a quarter century now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kouranen Anduin
New Zealand
flag msg tools
that comment about the cash situation. Just had a four player game where all the cash ended up in the register so everyone was forced to play thieves in the auction house which of course gets you nowhere. what is the solution or have i missed a rule somewhere??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kouranen wrote:
everyone was forced to play thieves in the auction house which of course gets you nowhere. what is the solution or have i missed a rule somewhere??

Quite simply - don't go to the Auction House!

Sorry - maybe I've misunderstood your question. I've never seen this happen - but if everyone has played all their cheques (really??) then obviously everyone must visit the Castle in every subsequent round - it would be pointless to do anything else. However, as I've never seen this situation occur before, I wonder if you have some other rule wrong?

I hope this helps - do ask again if any other aspect of the rules is an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kouranen Anduin
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick response have since realized it was my mistake in mis reading the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.