Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hokum House Games/Brock Jones on Gamecrafter
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any information regarding the Power Counters text on these cards.
I have found myself not enjoying mixing in the Cthulhu factions when we play Smash Up because of the madness cards and if this expansion has a special mechanism that doesn't work with other versions I hope that it doesn't suffer because of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
You just use the same tokens we've always given, but these count as power counters if on the minion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brock Jones
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hokum House Games/Brock Jones on Gamecrafter
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the response.
I am now really looking forward to the new ability that these cards offer. Smash Up is me and my daughter's favorite game to play together but I can't get her to get into the Cthulhu factions because she dislikes the Madness cards.
So when I noticed the card text here I got a little nervous, but this seems really cool because I notice that it allows you to put extra power on other minions...I take it I could beef up some already powered up Apes, Dinosaurs, or any of the other factions from the different sets.
I like the sound of that !
Loving SFDF by the way !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Conder
United States
O Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very confusing. It would have been nice if the rule book had stated that victory point tokens should be used as power counters on minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Stanzel
msg tools
So, along those lines, should all other factions, when played with Monster Smash factions, use counters to keep track of bonuses as well? Basically, do we replace "+1 power" with "+1 power token" on all the old cards now? Seems like a good idea, especially when keeping track of Furious George+Juiced Up+Cyberevolution+whatever else...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always use markers on the minions to show changes to their power; it makes it much simpler to see the power situation at a glance.

But, we use different markers than the +1 power counters, because the MS abilities explicitly refer to the PCs and affect them. For example, if you were the Dinosaur Ants, some Ant actions can transfer PCs between minions, but that should not affect the power boosts that the Dino cards provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Stanzel
msg tools
Yeah as I was looking through the cards a second time I noticed that I was probably wrong. I really can't decide how I feel about getting entirely new gambits with every expansion. This at least plays fine with other factions, but still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Fosberg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it confusing that some of the new cards use the old language of 'add 1 to minion's power' and some refer to 'power counters'. There's no explanation of the difference/new language in the manual. So these power counters are just temporary points that go toward scoring the base, then go back into the VP token pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Riggs
Netherlands
Kerkrade
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
Hadouken
mbmbmbmbmb
NSF Games wrote:
I find it confusing that some of the new cards use the old language of 'add 1 to minion's power' and some refer to 'power counters'. There's no explanation of the difference/new language in the manual. So these power counters are just temporary points that go toward scoring the base, then go back into the VP token pool?

As far as I can tell, only the Werewolves don't make use of the new power counter system. They use the 'old' way of gaining power. And yes, they are 'temporary' points as you say. But to stop the confusion with victory point tokens, we decided to use the green tokens that came with the Cthulhu expansion for the use of power counters .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Noel
Japan
Fujisawa-shi
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power counters are permanent. Once placed they stay where they are unless moved or the host is destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Salyer
msg tools
Does anyone know how power counters work against other cards? For example, a minion with a base 2 power is given an additional 1 power counter so now it's power total is 3. Does that mean that any other card that can "destroy a minion of power 2 or less" or "destroy a minion with less power than this one (3)" would work?

My wife and I just played the new expansion pack and we are trying to understand if counters affect the minion's power total and prevent if from being impacted by other cards that target low power minions.

Anyone heard anything about this or have any thoughts? We decided to play it as though the minion's base power is the one targeted by other cards. So in the above examples despite having any number of counters, the 2 power minion could be destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann Stralau
msg tools
I think you always compare to the modified power, not the unmodified.

Think of Power counters as ongoing power modifiers, comparable to ongoing action cards. With the exception that they are not actions, but counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.