Subject: Are the preconstructed decks balanced to play against each other rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Negron

New Hyde Park
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually games that have basic preconstruxted decks always have one deck that can't really compete with the others kind of like how the elves deck for warhammer invasion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't think we'll be able to answer that until the game is out, and even then, not until people have played it quite a bit. A game's designers always strive for balance. So you're either going to hear from them that all the decks are balanced, or a totally uninformed opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of a loaded question. I don't think any game sets out to specifically try to have one weak deck, but in any given set there's probably one that's strongest and one that's weakest. The main point of the set is also to teach the game and provide a basis to grow from so having all the decks be exactly balanced is nice but not necessarily the most important thing.

Anyway, as Luke said nobody outside of AEG has seen the decks so there's not much answer to be had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time will tell... and there are enough geeks who will make the math for us...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
I don't think we'll be able to answer that until the game is out, and even then, not until people have played it quite a bit. A game's designers always strive for balance. So you're either going to hear from them that all the decks are balanced, or a totally uninformed opinion.

Yes they are perfectly balanced...

You make a good point.

But let me try and give you a slightly less biased perspective. I think that the decks are pretty balanced, but I don't think that they are all equally easy to play. Some decks are just slightly more technical in nature than others, in any game like this. When we released R9E I had several people tell me that one of the decks was weaker, yet we were finding that it seemed to win more than its fair share of games in testing. I even played that deck against people at Gen Con and won with it after they told me it was weaker.

I think with many games like this there are no absolutes. Some of the decks are designed to go in there shootin', others aren't. If you run over and go all-in at the first call out that happens you're (probably) gonna have very short and very losing game with at least one of the decks, and probably two. They are decks that involve you building, not getting caught out of position early and trying to establish a longer term board control strategy. But that approach to the game is not always obvious to a new player who just wants to get the guns blazin'.

In short, I think they are balanced, but your ability with the game and understanding of how the game plays will affect the win percentage with different decks over a period of time - all, of course, IMHO.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1. One of the chief problems I've been having locally trying to get people interested in the old game (which we're playing to get ramped up for the new one) is that people seem to have trouble judging when to fight and when not to.

I've seen plenty of times when people will accept a call-out even though they only have Draws and their opponent has Studs. The general feeling is "I can't just let them steal my Deed", and it has led to a lot of losses.

The other day we tried our first 3-way game (Sioux vs Whateleys vs Blackjacks). The other two guys were itching to get into a gunfight (one had no Deeds in his starting hand and figured the best thing to do was to go take one, the other wasn't going to let him get away with it).

On my end, I just quietly built up a bit and watched. I posted my Stud in Town Square, and when a wimpy Draw guy came around and wanted to bully my Mine I just booted home and let him have it. And later, I did it again. Why risk my better guy to his low-cost one? I had a useful ability to protect and it's not like I can't take the Deed back with my Stud whenever I feel like it.

And so, I won. Did I get into gunfights? Sure I did, several of them. But only when the odds favored me. Typically when I was ready to slap leather I was a 4-Stud to my opponent being a 2-Stud or less, and I always sent a Draw as backup just in case of a bad draw.

Point is, you need to know your plan and make smart choices. Some decks have pretty straightforward plans. Other decks have longer term plans that require you to find your way through some early trouble to make it to the payoff. Doesn't make them weaker decks, but you still got to play them right for them to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Mark said. While we have certainly attempted to make the decks balanced against each other, some of them are a bit more tricky to pilot.

This is why we also include two preconstructed starter decks that are meant more for the true beginners,so you can immediately crack the box and play without having to craft the decklists first and without having to deal with the more tricky cards or rules.

So 2 players, can learn using the preconstructed decks, and 3+ players can also make the intermediate decks and play an up-to 4 player multiplayer game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
So, the four decklists aren't really two decklists plus the preconstructed decks? If thats true, then awesome. I was assuming it would jsut be a decklist for MCC and a decklist for 4th ring, then the two precon decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Avers
United States
Elmore
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just a random thought, but any chance for some "advanced" deck lists included with the Deluxe version that take advantage of the bigger card pools it has?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
PMAvers wrote:
Just a random thought, but any chance for some "advanced" deck lists included with the Deluxe version that take advantage of the bigger card pools it has?

Sorry, no. Or at least not in the product itself. It will use the same learn to play decks that the basic set does. But of course having double the cards will mean that you immediately have more deck-building options once you know the game.

We will, however, be posting strategy articles about some of the nuances of both building decks and playing the game on the website.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the fun of the game and deckbuilding is 'discovering the game space' and coming up with cool tricks and combos. If you just want to 'play out of the box', the included decks/lists let you do that. If you want to really explore the nooks and crannies of Gomorra, well, plenty to do there, pardner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree. Building and playing your own decks is the main point of this type of game. Once you've got some experience with the sample decks it's time to take off the training wheels and jump in!

However, if you prefer to let others do the design work and just play decks that you download there will be no shortage of these either. As a rule, card game communities have a lot of decks being posted and discussed so you'l be able to find plenty of pre-made "advanced" decks by the time this game is available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.