No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok how many of you here have to resort to bribery , coersion or blackmail to force your girlfriend or wife or mistress or kids or other family members to play boardgames with you ?

example :

'honey i will get tou this nice louis vitton handbag if you play arkham horror with me for 1 month'
'kids , if you play boardgames with daddy , i will take you all to disneyland later'
'dear , i will do additional household chores if you be my opponent in this wargame'

honest answer only please devil

Poll
Pleas choose one answer :
I always resort to some kind of bribery/coercion/blackmail
Sometimes i have to do this bribery/coercion/blackmail thing , but not always.
I never do that to my own family even though they never/rarely want to play with me
My family loves to play boardgames with me, no coercion necessary
N/A
      209 answers
Poll created by dprijadi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E A
msg tools
it's psychological warfare. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time, I either play 2-player games with my wife or solo games. My wife:

* Likes games, but does not love games
* Prefers games that can be played in less than 90 minutes (ideally, less than 60 minutes)
* Prefers lighter games, but will play some medium weight games (never heavy games)

Therefore, I occasionally need to resort to coercion to get her to play games. Never bribery or blackmail. I'd call it "gentle prodding" or "pouting until she feels sorry for me." Normally, she will happily play one or two games. But when I feel like immersing myself in games for an entire day, she will generally have none of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't force my family to do things they don't want to do. That's why I have gaming groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to pamper my fiancee and gave in on some stuff sometimes to get her to play with me. But that just sounds like a normal gamer with non-gamer SO thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just say "Sit down, we are playing x" and they usually sit and play with me unless they are busy with something else. Everybody in my family likes board games, though I'm usually the one to initiate the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted no coercion necessary because I've never done anything like that and never felt the need to - if my opponent doesn't particularly want to play, it's kind of not fun for me either. Still, saying that my family loves games would be an overstatement - they enjoy them just fine when we play, but aren't particularly enthusiastic about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I frequently beg my boyfriend to play with me, with limited success. But mostly it's not fun if your gaming partner's heart isn't really in it. Oddly enough, and most unfairly, my boyfriend IS a board gamer. We play with our group and at other people's places twice a week. The problem is that when we're home he reverts to video game mode. shake So many great 2 player games that don't get played ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Scott
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids have to earn their TV time, and they would rather earn it by playing games with me than by doing chores. They get bonus time if they win, so there is an incentive to do their best. It has worked well for me so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are you looking to adopt, Mr Scott?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife does not play games. Period. My twin brother does, as do all the nephews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
Playing with unwilling or uninterested players is even worse than playing with unskilled players. Just say no to coercing players to play.

Luckily for me, the girlfriend is a bigger board gamer than I, and is usually better than me when she puts forth the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a dedicated game group of heavy gamers, so I don't need to coerce anyone. Even then, my family and my girlfriend are all usually interested in playing a few light games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Stapleton
United States
Keller
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I liked goats before they were cool
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is about 90% on board when it comes to playing games. She doesn't love them as much as I do, but she enjoys playing them when winding down for the evening. I have been throwing tons of new games at her this past month because of all the 2P PnP Contest Entries. There have been a few occasions where I had to cook breakfast or give back massages to get her to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Patterson
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to threaten my dad with violence to get him to play Power Grid on memorial day. To no ones surprise except for his, he actually enjoyed it, and said he'd be willing to play it again. It was like pulling teeth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often would want to, and sometimes do, with varying results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa the Gnome
United States
West Allis
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and older son both love playing board games, so no need to bribe them (though I do use board games as a bribe to get my son to do things he doesn't want to do). If only there was a way to bribe the 1 1/2 year old son to let the rest of us play a game without him trying to eat all the pieces. My parents and sister and her husband enjoy playing games with us, it's just hard with the little guy. Hopefully, in a year or two it will be easier to play games with both sons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
There`s no blackmail in the world for my family.................
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karadek wrote:
My wife does not play games. Period. My twin brother does, as do all the nephews.

im curious, do twins think alike? so basically playing with twins meant playing with yourself ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest Bower
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Part of the reason I started reviewing games wss so my wife would play with me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting the wife to play boardgames isn't a problem; getting her to play them when I want to, now that can involve a bit of trickery/bribery...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Getting the family to play board games is harder than getting them to give up a kidney. Luckily I have a group of people that I can play games with but it would be nice to be able to get some more plays in with the family as they'd be more inclined to play some of the other games that I have or wanted to do something more impromptu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sigvald Thorsen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problems getting my family to play with me.
A friend have this problem, his sons is just not interested. He said to one of them last Sunday as we needed a 4th player for a long game: I will give you 1,000 nkr (about 160$) if you will play with us and another 1,000 if you win. The answer was as expected: no, ha ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with people who don't really want to play?

No way.

I was forced to eat vegetables as a child. As a consequence I hated them until I made the decision as an adult to try to like them for the sake of my health. It took some work, but I like them now.

I want people to play games with me because they want to play games with me, not because I've coerced them in some way. Find willing people to do stuff with you, gaming or otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
refugeesfromreality wrote:
Playing with people who don't really want to play?

No way.

I was forced to eat vegetables as a child. As a consequence I hated them until I made the decision as an adult to try to like them for the sake of my health. It took some work, but I like them now.

I want people to play games with me because they want to play games with me, not because I've coerced them in some way. Find willing people to do stuff with you, gaming or otherwise.

i dont get it, if all on the table was vegetable, do you decline eating and go hungry ? it is nice to have abundance of food so you can get picky with your food..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.