Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
This was announced at a commencements speech at West Point.

Quote:
President Barack Obama is close to authorizing a mission led by the U.S. military to train moderate Syrian rebels to fight the regime and al Qaeda-linked groups, a move that would significantly expand Washington's role in the conflict, U.S. officials said.

A new military training program, if implemented, would supplement a small train-and-equip program led by the Central Intelligence Agency that Mr. Obama authorized a year ago. U.S. officials don't discuss the CIA's limited training program because it is covert.

What could go wrong?

He could change his mind and cancel the programme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
bjlillo wrote:
What could go wrong?

I thought you guys wanted a macho president...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:

Quote:
President Barack Obama is close to authorizing a mission led by the U.S. military to train moderate Syrian rebels to fight the regime and al Qaeda-linked groups, a move that would significantly expand Washington's role in the conflict, U.S. officials said.

A new military training program, if implemented, would supplement a small train-and-equip program led by the Central Intelligence Agency that Mr. Obama authorized a year ago. U.S. officials don't discuss the CIA's limited training program because it is covert.

What could go wrong?
Everything?, I do love the "moderate Syrian rebels", as if there is some way to ensure that they will be the only ones to benefit. Have we learned nothing form Libya?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
What could go wrong?

Yes, but only a macho president who does what he is told.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
I bet he gets mad when he finds out about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knewt wrote:
I bet he gets mad when he finds out about this.
When?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
What could go wrong?

Presidential material, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Quote:

What could go wrong?
Everything?, I do love the "moderate Syrian rebels", as if there is some way to ensure that they will be the only ones to benefit. Have we learned nothing form Libya?

It's hard to see how the USA could make the Syrian situation any worse than it is already so why not back the (relatively) good guys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obama does nothing, is lame.

Obama does something, is wrong.

Lather rinse repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
What could go wrong?

Is he personally training the rebels?

That'd be pretty macho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Lather rinse repeat.
Sounds familiar to the previous eight years. The public shouldn't whine about it just because the current target has a D after his name.

I'm not defending Bush; I'm just pointing out that this pattern is cyclical.
Also, I'm not trying to be directly inflammatory. The "whine" comment was meant to speak generally, not specifically throwing down the towel at Shadrach.

I hear this,but I only really remember Bush being hammered on two things.

1)His ability to say flatly stupid things in speeches. Not mistakes just tonguestumbling wtf moments.

2)Iraq. Starting a trillion dollar war with casualties in the thousands(tens of thousands?) just on our side with no exit strategy and on what ended up being bogus pretense. All this having the appearance of a personal war with the benefactors being close Family oil baron friends. If you assume every scandal in the current administration is true and legit they altogether wouldn't occupy one corner of the box of shit that was Iraq.
Compare the responses, see if they are proportional, get back to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buckersuk wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Quote:

What could go wrong?

It's hard to see how the USA could make the Syrian situation any worse than it is already so why not back the (relatively) good guys?
You mean like backing the good guys during the soviet occupation of Afghanistan did not have worse long term consequences? Assad with Chemical weapons is a lot more safe than then a Talaban clone with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Lather rinse repeat.
Sounds familiar to the previous eight years. The public shouldn't whine about it just because the current target has a D after his name.

Also, I'm not trying to be directly inflammatory. The "whine" comment was meant to speak generally, not specifically throwing down the towel at Shadrach.

1)His ability to say flatly stupid things in speeches. Not mistakes just tonguestumbling wtf moments.

2)Iraq. Starting a trillion dollar war with casualties in the thousands(tens of thousands?) just on our side with no exit strategy and on what ended up being bogus pretense. All this having the appearance of a personal war with the benefactors being close Family oil baron friends. If you assume every scandal in the current administration is true and legit they altogether wouldn't occupy one corner of the box of shit that was Iraq.

Shrug. People remember different things. I told you, I wasn't trying to get in your face and I'm not going to get defensive about this. If that is what you choose to remember, that is your decision.
The Bush administration was pummeled just as mercilessly as the Obama administration is currently getting pummeled, the only real difference is that MSNBC was the anti- and Fox was the pro- instead of vice versa.

Who's talking media? I am talking congressional hearings, obstructionism, and politicing.

Media can say what they want if the government would just keep governing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Lather rinse repeat.

Shrug. People remember different things. I told you, I wasn't trying to get in your face and I'm not going to get defensive about this. If that is what you choose to remember, that is your decision.
The Bush administration was pummeled just as mercilessly as the Obama administration is currently getting pummeled, the only real difference is that MSNBC was the anti- and Fox was the pro- instead of vice versa.

Who's talking media? I am talking congressional hearings, obstructionism, and politicing.

Quote:
People remember different things.

Quote:
If that is what you choose to remember, that is your decision.

Making a bold assertion then dodging when you're called on it is pretty low, but hey you'll fit right in here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Lather rinse repeat.

Quote:
People remember different things.

Quote:
If that is what you choose to remember, that is your decision.

Making a bold assertion then dodging when you're called on it is pretty low, but hey you'll fit right in here.

Christ. Will you let it go? I didn't make a bold assertion. I also wasn't trying to call you a liar, a blowhard, or obviously biased. I said it HAPPENS TO EVERYBODY. As far as the "dodging the issue", well, I already said ...
Quote:
I'm not going to get defensive about this.

If you want to talk about just how sad it is that our current president is soooo mistreated as opposed to all the love that was shown his predecessors (which I can't even type with a straight face), feel free to start a new thread. Otherwise, let the conversation go back to Syria. Or fade off the front page, I guess.
I think what was being said is bush was not criticized in the same way, not that he was not criticized. I can only speak from an outsiders perspective, but as I recall Bush was not attacked for doing something and then not doing it. But it was a while ago.

But I have to say this...I thought we all wanted to stop raising bush whenever we talked about Obama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True enough slater. Someone wanted to claim the intensity of the bullshit was proportional. So I called em on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Quote:

What could go wrong?

Libya?
Graham Greene started writing The Quiet American in 1951, inspired by an American talking about finding a moderate Third Force in French Indochina that could be supported against both the old regime and the Communists. Sixty three years later, they're still looking for the mythical moderate Third Force after failing to find them in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Lebanon, Afghanistan, Egypt, Libya and Iraq. Next up, Syria and then Iran. I keep hearing the voice of Bullwinkle saying "This time for sure…"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Quote:

What could go wrong?

Libya?
Graham Greene started writing The Quiet American in 1951, inspired by an American talking about finding a moderate Third Force in French Indochina that could be supported against both the old regime and the Communists. Sixty three years later, they're still looking for the mythical moderate Third Force after failing to find them in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Lebanon, Afghanistan, Egypt, Libya and Iraq. Next up, Syria and then Iran. I keep hearing the voice of Bullwinkle saying "This time for sure…"
I as of course referring to the current administrations own mistakes, not those of previous ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
True enough slater. Someone wanted to claim the intensity of the bullshit was proportional. So I called em on it.

Can't even use my name, huh? That's weak and petty.
And it's important enough for you to keep trolling, but not enough to start your own thread ..?

If you have this image of how poor Obama is getting so mistreated as compared to Bush the Younger or some other presidents, then there's nothing I can do (or will even attempt to do) to change your mind.

You were complaining about my continuing to address you so I felt like leaving you out of it, now you're being snide? You really *will* fit in here nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.