Subject: All sixteen characters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott West
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Has anyone played a game with all sixteen characters in the game? Was it a single board or multiple boards? How did it play out?

I am still discovering all the many layered subtleties involved in the game. It is quite fascinating.

For example, I have discovered how the power balance works to your advantage when you have hired one or more natives, especially with the White Knight when you have at least one or two natives fighting on your behalf. Trolls are not so tremendous any more, and you stand a much better chance of living. In fact, almost any native denizen in your employ will help you achieve your goals in the game.

The other important lessons that I have learned is that a lunar month is very short. You really need to pay attention to what you are trying to do and to not waste any phases. Time is of the essence.

I have yet to play a magic character, but that is my next goal. So much still to learn. I have roughly 40 or so games played on the site, but with just a few characters.

If anyone is still mystified by the game they should try Realm Speak. The system makes it much easier to learn and you can try out all of the different characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott DeMers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottWest8272 wrote:
Has anyone played a game with all sixteen characters in the game? Was it a single board or multiple boards? How did it play out?

Scott,

I taught a game with 15 NEW players (and me) o na single board. It was a hoot as questions were coming at me fast and furious. We got about 5 turns into the game is all, but most people loved it. We then played 4-6 players games after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few years ago I tried a game with 8-9 players, most of them newbies, and it was a disaster. I've stuck to solo since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did this three times last year!

The session report is here for the first game.

I played two more later with similar results. The second game had six characters complete their victory conditions while the third had eight characters win.

The overall winner of the first and third games was the character who found the Sacred Grail and sold it to the Order (Swordsman in game 1 and the Elf in game 3.) The overall winner of the second game was the Witch King because nobody found the Sacred Grail! Also, the Witch King was the only character to meet his victory requirements in all three games.

Edit: All of the games were on single boards. I've still never played on multiple boards. Maybe when then single board game starts to get boring...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

30+ years ago, I used to set up the game on my bedroom floor and play all the characters. Or sometimes I would play 8, and my brother would play 8. It was usually our preferred way to play. This was of course without the benefit of the 3rd edition rules, but back then there weren't so many other games out there, so we never really thought about how complex it was because it was just so awesome.

I never used multiple boards for that, but I do remember using character development rules one time, with all characters starting at Level 1. I can't remember the results -- I know I have them written down somewhere. I think the White Knight still ended up winning, and the Druid may have also won once.

In later years, but before Realmspeak, I remember setting up and playing a 16 character game using the Vassal module (still just one board). I was even writing a turn-by-turn session report. It was taking forever (months), and unfortunately the game and report were both lost in a hard drive failure.

In the Realmspeak era, I don't think I've ever tried running all the characters. I know I've played 2 a couple times, but generally I just prefer the game with a single character now. I HAVE used the two board set up with a solo game. It feels more epic, especially if you decide to go for a multiple month game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott West
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes. I read your session report the other day. It was very interesting.

It would be nice if you could edit the report and add the map layout of the board.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottWest8272 wrote:
Yes. I read your session report the other day. It was very interesting.

It would be nice if you could edit the report and add the map layout of the board.

Cheers.

Excellent idea. I didn't think I had saved any of my games but I did find a save for the start of day 23. I'll post that pic right now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.