Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several months back, during a drive to NY, I came up with an idea for a party game. I haven't done much with it until recently when I started writing down the game content. That part is coming along well, but I am stuck on a scoring mechanism, especially one that would scale based on the core game mechanic.

During a round, one player acts as a judge. The player directly to his left presents a card as does the player directly to his right based on a setup card that the judge put down (this setup card is different from round to round). At this point, the judge can state out loud the case for each card, as can all other players (I'm still working out a way for everyone to somehow be involved in a round). The judge finally decides on a card, and the player who put it down wins the round.

Where I'm stuck is how this scoring mechanism would work with 5, 8, or even 10+ players (I'm figuring the game would need to have a recommended group size). Unlike games such as Cards Against Humanity where everyone minus the judge has the potential to score each round, this game is extremely dependent on there being only two cards each round (submitted by the two players next to the judge) where the judge has to decide which wins - A or B.

Is there a party game out there where only a few players have the potential to score each round? If so, how does it also handle keeping the other players involved?

I am also open to other ways to score the game, though they have to work with the way a round works as described above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of anything really similar, but is there any reason why instead of having a judge make the decision, you have a jury, made up of all the players except those being judged?

Maybe if there is an even number of players, there could be a member of the jury who has the casting vote in case of ties?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:
I can't think of anything really similar, but is there any reason why instead of having a judge make the decision, you have a jury, made up of all the players except those being judged?

Maybe if there is an even number of players, there could be a member of the jury who has the casting vote in case of ties?

I had thought about a voting mechanism, but it seemed like it would slow down the momentum of the game. Are there party games where everyone votes each round on what only a couple players did?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zagieboylo
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mb
When you say that players "present" a card -- is that something that they made themselves, got from a pool, what?

For a fast-paced game, you could have more action going in parallel, and then each judge just chooses a winner. That is, everyone puts out a setup card. Then everyone must produce (choose?) two response cards, one for the setup card on their right and one for the setup card on their left. They hand these each to the appropriate judge, so each player is given two cards targeting his setup card. Each person then judges, perhaps with some call-out for especially well made/ funny/ etc. cards.

With the faster pace, it will not matter so much that some of the choices are made by incompetent (in the opinion of the person who wasn't chosen) judges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably have the other players make bets secretly on which of the two cards they think the judge will choose. This would make the game more complex, but would keep them involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zag24 wrote:
When you say that players "present" a card -- is that something that they made themselves, got from a pool, what?

For a fast-paced game, you could have more action going in parallel, and then each judge just chooses a winner. That is, everyone puts out a setup card. Then everyone must produce (choose?) two response cards, one for the setup card on their right and one for the setup card on their left. They hand these each to the appropriate judge, so each player is given two cards targeting his setup card. Each person then judges, perhaps with some call-out for especially well made/ funny/ etc. cards.

With the faster pace, it will not matter so much that some of the choices are made by incompetent (in the opinion of the person who wasn't chosen) judges.

So, the game has two types of cards - setup cards (which are all unique), and what we'll call player cards (which are all unique). The way I imagine it is that each player would get something like 4-8 player cards. Each round, the player acting as judge pulls a setup card from a stack. The player on his left picks the player card from his hand that he thinks is the best choice. The player on the right does the same. The judge (or perhaps other players via a vote, secret ballot, etc.) picks which player card wins.

The difficulty in having things work in parallel is that things would get lost in the noise. It would be like everyone pulling a black card in Cards Against Humanity each round, each player submitting a white card for the black cards on their left and right, and then reading the answers to all black cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll state the obvious - a game that doesn't scale much past 6 isn't a party game. It might still be fun though. Why push the game somewhere it doesn't want to go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Can you explain more about the game?

Right now this sounds like a less interactive version of CAH where a judge picks a question and everyone (not just players adjacent to the judge) puts down an answer card they think the judge will pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Skancke
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there other methods for players to score points? Otherwise a judge will never award points to a player if it causes that player to win the game (and thus causes the judge to lose). So toward the end of the game almost everyone will have the same score, and then one player will be tasked with being the judge who chooses one of two players to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.