BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Civilisation Building Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Paisley
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi folks,

After seeing Sid Meiers Civilisation: Beyond Earth announced for the PC, I started looking for Civilisation games that incorporated space travel into their mechanics. I came up short

Are there any Civ building games that have this or are they all pretty much start with cavemen and end with tanks?

If there's no space options out there, which Civ building game would you recommend for 4-5 players then?

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) - Big, epic, long, amazing.
Eclipse - I personally don't care for it, but it's what you're asking for.

Others I haven't played:

Empires of the Void
Hegemonic
Exodus: Proxima Centauri
Space Empires: 4X
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

Others I haven't played:

Empires of the Void
Hegemonic

He nailed it guys. There is nothing left here to see. Lets wrap it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfall.
High Frontier.
Outpost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you mentioned starting with cave-men and ending with tanks, I'll just point out that the world of boardgames can actually do you one (or two) better than that.

Start by playing a game of Bios: Megafauna, starting as proto-mammals or proto-dinosaurs, guiding your species' evolution. Then use the BIOS: Origins expansion to segue into a game of Origins: How We Became Human, tracing the development of your species to the near modern age. Then use the Origins to High Frontier expansion to segue that into a game of High Frontier, exploring and industrializing the solar system, and then finally round it all off with the High Frontier Interstellar expansion, hurling yourself out to nearby stars.

Whew.

None of these are really civ games; I just wanted to point out that you can do it. High Frontier is a most excellent space game (or should I say the), if a bit clunky and requiring a lot of investment in learning it.

Please note that I cannot be held liable for any and all psychological or physical impairment or injury resulting from attempting to play the aforementioned campaign.

Now for actual recommendations:
Eclipse is a stream-lined and fun civilization game in space.
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) is an epic slugathon.
Space Empires: 4X is a game I don't know much about, but it certainly seems to fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Quantum, for those nights you don't have time to play an epic space civ game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Uhrich
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse and Space Empires: 4X if you want your civilization building in space. They are both a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For cavemen to tanks, i think the best option is Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game with both expansions.

There's also the original Civilization and the original Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Paisley
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks all, looks like there's not one that starts on earth then expands out into space. I imagine it wouldbe quite unwieldy.

Certainly some new games to have a look at though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hollifield
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
thedacker wrote:

Others I haven't played:

Empires of the Void
Hegemonic

Space Empires:4X. This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long do you want it to last? If you've got friends willing to commit to months/years, play by email. You might look into Galactic Starfire. It's all downloadable now (but not free), and the newer version is much more streamlined.

I've done this, and had a game last almost 2 years. We only got together face to face to play out the fleet battles. It was good fun.

It's as close to playing Master of Orion IRL as you can get. One person has to commit to being the GM, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.