Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just wondering if anyone has tried multiplayer variants with any success? I was just thinking that many of MTG variants might work as the mechanics are very similar. I was thinking 3-player cutthroat (Attack Right, Defend Left, abilities/globals anywhere) and Two Headed Giant might work well with this game, but haven't tried it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Cozzolino
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirchadofkent wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone has tried multiplayer variants with any success? I was just thinking that many of MTG variants might work as the mechanics are very similar. I was thinking 3-player cutthroat (Attack Right, Defend Left, abilities/globals anywhere) and Two Headed Giant might work well with this game, but haven't tried it yet.

I've seen already a couple of threads about using the THG method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
sirchadofkent wrote:

I've played 3 and 4 player with the method you mentioned, just reversed. Attack left, defend right. Global & abilities against anyone. Also played 4 player 2v2 teams that way. Works well.

Also used one house rule. Global abilities like Phoenix/Mr. Fantastic's pay 1 energy to force a character to attack can be used to make your opponents attack out of turn. If I'm player 1, I can use this ability to make player 2 attack player 3. Possibly damaging #3, while opening up #2 for my own attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played three 3 player games and only one 4 player.
All went very successfully.

The 3 player matches were just a free for all. We did not impose any attack direction restrictions and it worked out well.
The teams were random and every time we played one player had a bit of a slow start, but a pecking order was established so no one became a run away leader.

The four player we did a team game and it was a slaughter. The winning team both made fairly aggressive teams while the losing team was more defensive and unable to get their offensive engines going.
We definitely ganged up and made sure to eliminate one player and then finish off the second one.

I feel this game works very well as a multiplayer with so much potential for variants and team games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your success Mike! I bet using the two headed giant format, you wouldn't be able to gang up on the weakest player as easily. In this format you can only attack/defend across, but the life is shared and globals can aim everywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. That is very true. Imposing only attacking across or allowing shared life or defenders can really help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.