8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: new phone time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Its that time. My Nokia 6120 has done well for the past 6-odd years, but it is now on it's second battery and is starting to turn off for no apparent reason (and also when receiving slight jolts from time to time).

But I suspect that what I want doesn't exist. One of the things that I have really, really enjoyed about my phone is the answering machine software I installed - instead of some crap supplied by my carrier, which I then have to dial into, my phone takes a call (with fully customisable intro messages), and records the message on itself. Love it.

But there doesn't appear to be an app for this on Android (I'm just going to flatly rule out Apple right here - the reasons don't matter, I simply won't even consider it). Unlike Apple, Android doesn't appear to have a compelling OS-related reason for the lack of such an app. Am I just not looking properly, either for the app or the reason for there not being one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Its that time. My Nokia 6120 has done well for the past 6-odd years, but it is now on it's second battery and is starting to turn off for no apparent reason (and also when receiving slight jolts from time to time).

But I suspect that what I want doesn't exist. One of the things that I have really, really enjoyed about my phone is the answering machine software I installed - instead of some crap supplied by my carrier, which I then have to dial into, my phone takes a call (with fully customisable intro messages), and records the message on itself. Love it.

But there doesn't appear to be an app for this on Android (I'm just going to flatly rule out Apple right here - the reasons don't matter, I simply won't even consider it). Unlike Apple, Android doesn't appear to have a compelling OS-related reason for the lack of such an app. Am I just not looking properly, either for the app or the reason for there not being one?

There are some call answering apps for Android but they can't do what you want. I think that Android (still?) cannot do in-call audio streaming (sending audio from a file to the caller). There isn't )or at least wasn't) an API for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Bugger - I was rather hoping that I just hadn't looked properly.

Still, does this mean there's no absolute reason (as there is with Apple, where you are just not allowed to interact with calls) for the lack, and it might be addressed at some point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
was that the old style gen 1 digital phone you have/had? the Nokia 6120 (6100 series) was my first phone and i got it in 1998. It was top of the line then but I didn't think they made it for more than a couple years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but I have my voicemail set up with Google Voice. When a call goes to voicemail, it sends me an e-mail (which I can of course receive on my phone) with its attempt at transcribing the message into text (which isn't anywhere near perfect but I can usually get the gist) along with an attachment with the audio of the message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:
I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but I have my voicemail set up with Google Voice. When a call goes to voicemail, it sends me an e-mail (which I can of course receive on my phone) with its attempt at transcribing the message into text (which isn't anywhere near perfect but I can usually get the gist) along with an attachment with the audio of the message.

I have visual voicemail thru my cell phone provider, and it notifies me when I get a message. I just pop open the app and check my email. It's on a server somewhere, but no real dialing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
quohog wrote:
was that the old style gen 1 digital phone you have/had? the Nokia 6120 (6100 series) was my first phone and i got it in 1998. It was top of the line then but I didn't think they made it for more than a couple years.

No, and it is the model they've rebranded "classic" in the last couple of years, apparently (and so still sell). Don't know when it dates to, but I first saw them in Australia about 2007.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Well, after doing some more research, it appears that it is technically possible on Android. You just have to use a non-standard API, either the hidden stuff that underlies the Android OS or one called Reflection.

But it also seems that someone did make a working app, had it on the play store, and then it was removed. Answering Machine, by Elpis Lab. Seems, according to Google, to be available via their Fartbook page, but I can't view it without signing up (which of course I won't do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.