Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The draw deck is depleted and a player plays their last card. There is a merchant ship which a player(who will not get another turn) has a strength majority on. Do they get to score the ship, since you check for captured ships at the beginning of your turn? Or is it still considered "uncaptured"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Reine
United States
Pickerington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, it is considered uncaptured. This is fairly common when we've been playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I thought, but I thought I'd double check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Harris
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Interesting...
Are you playing the Loot version? We have Korsar, and in that version, ships on the table at the end of the game ARE awarded. (Each ship goes to whoever is strongest on it, and ties are not awarded at all.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cktjharris wrote:
Interesting...
Are you playing the Loot version? We have Korsar, and in that version, ships on the table at the end of the game ARE awarded. (Each ship goes to whoever is strongest on it, and ties are not awarded at all.)

Must be asking about Loot, because in Loot, because the game ends as soon as one player goes out of cards. Any merchant ships still on the table are not scored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webster
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scoring has puzzled me too. I have read both the Loot rules

Game End and Scoring
The game ends when the draw pile has been depleted and one
player has played his last card. Any uncaptured merchant ships left
in play are placed in the discard pile.

and a translation of those for Korsar

End of Game
The game ends the draw pile
is empty
and
a player has run
out of cards. The combats on
the table are resolved. Leave
tied combats on the table.

There is another version on Brettboard

Game end
The game ends when the deck has been depleted and one player has played his last card. Trade vessels on table are taken by their repective winners, if any. Trade vessels with tied Pirates are not scored.

There is some ambiguity here but I think it lies in the translation rather than in any intent on behalf of the publisher. My interpretation is that uncontested merchant vessels are claimed by their owners, those that have been attacked are claimed by the player with the largest pirate force and the remainder are discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
This is a good question!

We played it that any uncaptured ship are left unclaimed. However, this have caused players to constantly count the draw pile nearing the game end, as they wouldn't want to put down something big and not able to claim it because another party decided to end the game.

Would be interested to get the designer's/publisher's intention on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Came here to find the answer to this question. To me, it seems any untied boats would be awarded. But I agree this is against the rules as written of the Gamewright version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler V.
msg tools
No consensus on this yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.