3 Posts

Ghost Stories» Forums » Variants

Subject: Anyone try 3-in-a-row Haunting End State? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
From what I can tell by rules, if any 3 village tiles get haunted, it's game over. Has anyone tried modifying it so that you only get a game over if it's 3 in-a-row? Does it make the game too easy? It seems to me like a better option just for the visual obviousness of it, coupled with an extra tactic of "well both of these ghosts are going to haunt, but this one is going to complete a row while this one wont, so we should target that one."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a lot of people definitely tried this! But usually they thought that this was what the rules intended, because it was somehow vaguely formulated.
I think it could make the game a lot easier as you should keep the count of haunters under 3 anyways and then the threat just drops.
If there are 2 haunted tiles in a row (starting from a corner) there are only 3 places out of 12 that could lead to a loss. With starting from a middle place this number is even lower at 2 out of 12.
Also, the pavilion would be strengthened. You could just push the haunter to a place where you have way more time to deal with him.

The difficulty is one of the strengths and beauty of this game. I personally would not mess around with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably consider doing this as a variant to make Normal, Nightmare, or Hell difficulty easier. Yes, we could just do Initiate level, but I think it'd be nice to take on 3 Wu-Fengs while still having a better fighting chance. And it'd mix things up every now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.