Alex Ronke
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently working on some rules tweaks for my variant of Rex (linked at the end of this post).

After seeing this other thread (http://tinyurl.com/l2j2p2b), I gave some thought to how to grant some relevance to the most unused spaces on the board.

I wanted to be able to share the rules that I'm prototyping in Rex terms, outside the context of my re-skin.

In my next post, I will describe my proposed rules for "Support Locations", including some changes to setup.

In the subsequent post, I will describe my proposed rules for three additional winning conditions. Two of them are for 3-4 player games only (with the assumption that neither Hacan nor Xxcha are playing).

Rex Levant Thread (in progress):
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1178332/rex-levant-a-histori...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ronke
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Support Locations
All locations on the board that start the game with only a green shield icon are Support Locations. Strongholds do not count as Support Locations, and Galactic Council does not count as a Support Location.

If a Support Location loses its shield (via Graviton Emitter), it does not lose its status as a Support Location.

During the Collection phase, players collect 2 additional Influence from the bank for each Support Location they control.

Setup
Each player starts with 1 additional normal Unit token, for a total of 21 (16 for Lazax).

Battle Clarification
Even though most players have 21 Units, 20 is still the highest number of Unit strength that can be committed in battle.

Deployment Changes (as a money sink)
Deploying Units directly to a Stronghold where you currently have no Units always costs 2 additional Influence, paid to the bank, regardless of the number of Units deployed.

Hacan and Hacan ally abilities can reduce this cost to 1 Influence, but this Influence is still paid to the bank. The Sol player does not pay this Influence when using his/her ability to deploy for free to the Imperial Palace.

New Letnev Special Ability
Letnev collects 3 additional influence from the bank per Support Location instead of 2. If this ability is cancelled by the Informant, the cancellation affects the entire Collection Phase.

Setup Changes
In addition to their normal setup:
-Lazax starts with 1 (non-mechanized) Unit at Quarters of the Nobility.
-Jol'Nar starts with 1 Unit at Mecatol Power North.
-Letnev starts with 1 Unit at Vel Terro Residential.
-Hacan starts with 1 Unit at Sai Sallai Residential.
-Xxcha starts with 1 Unit at Cultural Sector.

Changes to Sol player setup:
The Sol player starts with 1 Unit at Sai Morgai Industrial Sector. Then the Sol player distributes 10 additional Units to the following locations as they see fit:
-Imperial Palace (16)
-Adminus Mecatol (16)
-Sai Morgai Industrial Sector (13)
-Hirzali Industrial Region (13)
-Scholara Imperialis (11)
-IAF HQ (18)
-(but not the Imperial Navy Base)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ronke
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory Conditions
To avoid tripping over terminology, I am referring to the following with slightly different vocabulary (extracted from the Levant rules):

-The Sol Special Victory is called a Historic Victory.
-The Hacan Special Victory is called a Stalemate Victory.
-The Xxcha Special Victory is called a Political Victory.
-Winning in the "normal" fashion with 3, 4, or 5 Strongholds is called a Normal Victory.

Jol'Nar: Impasse Victory (for 3-4 players only)
At the end of the 8th round, if no player(s) have declared a Normal Victory, and the Sol cannot declare a Historic Victory, count the number of Strongholds each individual player controls, ignoring alliances.

If you control at least 1 Stronghold, and no player controls more Strongholds than you, you win by yourself. No ally will share your victory.

Lazax: Expansion Victory (for 3-4 players only)
At the end of the 6th round, if no player(s) have declared a Normal Victory, count the total number of Strongholds and Support Locations each individual player controls, ignoring alliances.

If you control at least 2 Strongholds, and the sum total of Strongholds and Support Locations you control is higher than the total for any other individual opponent or ally, you and your ally win.

This winning condition is only valid for the end of the 6th round. If it is not met at the end of that round, proceed with gameplay in the 7th round as normal.

Letnev: Preclusion Victory
At the end of the 4th round, if no player(s) have declared a Normal Victory, examine the following:
-Imperial Navy Base (18)
-Vel Terro Residential (17)
-Imperial Palace (16)

If you control all three, you and your allies win. Allies controlling those locations does not count.

This winning condition is only valid for the end of the 4th round. If it is not met at the end of that round, proceed with gameplay in the 5th round as normal.

The locations for this Letnev Victory make more sense on the variant map than they do for the Rex default map. I'm still tweaking this a bit.

Xxcha: Changes to the Political Victory
-You can always steal a Normal Victory if you predict at least one winning player and the round correctly.
-You can steal a Historic Victory, but not if you predicted the Sol player.
-You can steal a Stalemate Victory, but not if you predicted the Hacan player.
-You can steal a Preclusion Victory, but not if you wrote down the Letnev player.
-You cannot steal an Impasse or Expansion Victory, since you shouldn't be playing in a 3-4 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ronke
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of those locations listed in the modified setup are shielded from Bombardment. You'd end up with an isolated unit, but it will just collect Influence from that location. Sol is slightly different, but it's weird like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.