Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm thinking of finally taking the plunge into the 4th Edition of Settlers to replace my old 3rd Edition, leaving it with my parents. With Mayfair's pricing rules, it seems hard to find great deals.

As a Target employee, I can use my Team Member Discount to save 10% and my Red Card to save an additional 5%. If I can fill enough prescriptions for Pharmacy Rewards, that will also save an extra 5% in-store. Unfortunately, I would have to pay tax (about 8.5%). So I could get the base game in-store for about $33.50. I could get Seafarers and Traders/Barbarians online for about $35.25. Are these about the best deals I can find without going the used route (which usually includes high shipping costs through the BGG Marketplace), or are there other options to get the game for a bit less? A few dollars might not seem like much, but it does add up when you are making just over minimum wage!

yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's gotta be new, the only other case I can think up of is buy online and combine shipping with other games. That of course requires you to have other games you'd like to get as well.

CoolStuffInc.com gives you free shipping at $100 or more.

Other OLGS like GameSurplus.com, the shipping cost is much better bang for the buck if you add in more games.

BTW, if you're buying T&B online, why not just get Settlers online too? It should be about $28 to $33 at discounted online prices, which is already on par with your Target discounts. Even if you have to pay sales tax via online, it's still quite there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ackmondual wrote:
If it's gotta be new, the only other case I can think up of is buy online and combine shipping with other games. That of course requires you to have other games you'd like to get as well.

Other OLGS like GameSurplus.com, the shipping cost is much better bang for the buck if you add in more games.

BTW, if you're buying T&B online, why not just get Settlers online too? It should be about $28 to $33 at discounted online prices, which is already on par with your Target discounts. Even if you have to pay sales tax via online, it's still quite there.

Settlers of Catan is a Mayfair Games product, and Mayfair Games' current pricing policy restricts the maximum discount that stores can advertise at 10%. So the best that I can get from most OLGS is $37.80 (90% of $42 MSRP). Even if I tacked on the maximum reward level from CSI (5%, but I am just at almost 3% right now), that would only bring the total to $35.90.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Settlers of Catan is a Mayfair Games product, and Mayfair Games' current pricing policy restricts the maximum discount that stores can advertise at 10%. So the best that I can get from most OLGS is $37.80 (90% of $42 MSRP). Even if I tacked on the maximum reward level from CSI (5%, but I am just at almost 3% right now), that would only bring the total to $35.90.

Ohhh right. It's all coming back to me now

I have actually met someone who's stopped purchasing Mayfair products because of this.

Yeah, the only other way is to scrounge up gift cards. Or if Target also offers a "buy a $x gift card and get a $y bonus on top of that" deal, but AFAIK, you have to wait a while before you can utilize them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
These price restrictions are the exact reason why I have no plans to upgrade from 3e to 4e.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how much they are really helping retailers in this.

I would love to get a couple of extra sets, especially for teaching new players, but the cost is far too high. This is especially true with the enforced pricing.

Do many FLGSs sell many of these on an ongoing basis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
I wonder how much they are really helping retailers in this.
Everybody has their own theory on this, but I really can't say either. On one hand, those who use FLGS to get their games anyways wouldn't be affected. Those who go to OGS may end up getting their wares anyways. OTOH, I can see folks who would just buy less due to this.

Me, I haven't been keeping up with many titles, so there especially isn't anything on my radar from them I'm dying to get. I already have a complete set of 3e Settlers I got last decade which I've become lukewarm about (keeping it more for Seafarers and C&K), and Tigris & Euphrates is still a keeper.

FWIW, they did give out a lot of freebies at Gen Con this year (tote bags, pins, bottled water, and cups of coffee were appreciated mid morning), and I was able to snag up Lascaux and MegaStar off their bargain/deeply discounted bin at their dealer hall.

I feel like they've gotten relatively quite big, which has both good and bad consequences to it.

andrews777 wrote:
I would love to get a couple of extra sets, especially for teaching new players, but the cost is far too high. This is especially true with the enforced pricing.

Do many FLGSs sell many of these on an ongoing basis?
3e has a cheaper list price, but with it OOP, not anymore. Consider getting alternatives like Simply Catan, which may be cheaper.

As I pointed out above, if people weren't into buying from OLGS, I can still see them buying from FLGS anyways. An extra $10 from 3e is sort of a shame, but most newcomers should be able to swallow that extra cost. I'm pretty sure it's still a good cash cow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure it still sells reasonably well. I am more wondering how effective their stand is on protecting the FLGS when fewer of such exist. I can only think of one in my area that is not also a comic shop and that one might be (Roll2Play) as I have not been there yet.

We are a long ways away from the heyday of the FLGS, whether people like it or not.

I do know Madness Comics and Games in town always sells out on those when they have the "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" sale between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am tempted to pick up more then, but I tend to end up buying other stuff instead.

I collect too many games, so this is really not a necessity. I just have a soft spot for Catan (which I consider Seafarers to be a part of) and keep buying things like the Kickstarter plastic boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.