Subject: Advice for Crokinole purchase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to buy a Crokinole board in the (not very distant) future.
I need to stay within a certain budget, therefore I cannot afford some top boards (Muzzies, Wintersonne, Willard Pro).
I have searched for several options to get another board, a good compromise between quality and price.
I also looked for boards from Ferti (France) or from Crokinole.de (Germany) but the price, plus shipping, was still not that good for me.

Recently I discovered that I could get some boards from Romania.
The price is quite friendly. The quality is, as described by few who tried the board, excellent. So I'm leaning to buy it from here.

I would like to ask your advice about the purchase.

I have saved in my gallery a picture of their boards, and pictures of the disks.

Can I get, from those who have experience with Crokinole, some suggestions about which board is more suitable?

Maybe some wood (ebony, oak, walnut, beech, cherry) is better, when it comes to Crokinole boards.
I'm thinking about smoothness, straight surface, ability to not bend in time.

I believe the disks' colour is important for their visibility on the board and for esthetic aspect. Maybe you can suggest something also.
For 4 players, is it usually played in teams, hence 2 sets of disks being enough?
Is it common to play as 3p game?
I'm trying to see if I need 2, 3 or 4 sets.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not an expert. I bought myself a muzzies board(blomidon tournament if you wish to know) after many weeks of research. Kinda a birthday gift to myself a two years ago.

Now that that is out of the way.

My advice.

Those boards all look nice, they seem to be all made by decent standards. All in all i would just go for looks. I dont really like the red and blue disks.
I kinda always like round boards compared to some of the octogonal ones but since they all round that does not matter

How wel the board performs is mostly to do with the finish and the wax you put on it.

Normally you only need one set of disk to play two player or team play. In team play you both just get half of the disks.

Hope that is somewhat usefull to you.

Maybe one last advice, i also thought about buying a cheaper one even the mayday one or something like that. In the end i told myself i would only buy a thing like this once(although now i am starting to doubt that) so may as well get one you really like. Then you can use it even when not playing.

Mine is build inside a round table with a glass on top of it. It serves as my gaming table. When i wanne play crokinole i lift of the glass and we play. Hanging it on a wall also looks very nice.

Greetings and good hunting for the right one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Elliott
United States
West Harrison
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much are the boards from Romania? How much are you going to save over a Hilinski or Muzzies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C A
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I think those might all be the same wood board with different stains. Like you aren't getting oak or walnut just oak or walnut colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr-WhoopAss wrote:

How much are the boards from Romania? How much are you going to save over a Helinski or Muzzies?

Hilinksi
Standard boards are $200 (I believe CAD, disks included) plus shipping and custom/premium boards are priced by the complexity of the build plus shipping.
However, International shipping is only available to North America.

Muzzies
Cheapest board (disks included) $169 CAD = ~ €115
Shipping (to Denmark, I suppose is similar to Romania) $95 CAD = ~ €65
VAT: 24% = ~ €43
import tax: 5-10% (??) = ~ €9 - €18
Total ~ €235

Crokinole.de
board €198
disks €14.4
shipping (to Denmark, I suppose is similar to Romania) €42
Total ~ € 254

Willard Pro
Cheapest board $165 CAD = ~ €111
Disks $9.5 CAD = ~ €6.5
Shipping (to Denmark, I suppose is similar to Romania) $103 CAD = ~ €69
VAT: 24% = ~ €45
import tax: 5-10% (??) = ~ €9 - €18
Total ~ €244

Romanian supplier
Total (board + 2 sets of disks, free shipping) ~ €100

That's a big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lifepawn wrote:
I think those might all be the same wood board with different stains. Like you aren't getting oak or walnut just oak or walnut colors.

You might be right. I'll ask them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Selle
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked the Romanian website. It seems that it is not working yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Elliott
United States
West Harrison
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the $200 for the Hilinski board is in USD.

I've played with a Hilinski, a Mayday basic board and a Muzzies. I tried to go with the $100 Mayday board when it was first released and I regretted it as the surface was slow and no matter how much I waxed it, stayed slow and very inconsistent. I then decided to purchase a Blomidon Muzzies. The Muzzies was far superior to the basic Mayday in my opinion. Once waxed, it was fast and consistent.

When my brother got married, I ordered a Hilinski for them as a wedding present. As soon as I got to play on that board, I wish I would have just ponied up the extra money from the get go to get the Hilinski for myself. I like the Hilinski the best for a nice speedy surface and how beautiful the boards look. From my experience, the Hilinski board I purchased for them doesn't need waxing nearly as much as my Muzzies does to stay fast.

I play Crokinole enough at my house (and I even bring it to parties) and have gotten a great deal of enjoyment out of my Muzzies board. If you can make the $200 happen for a Hilinski, I don't think you'll be regretting your decision. Unlike a board game, a Crokinole board has a much higher chance of being used for decades.

I don't have any experience with the Romanian board. I would advise if it's at all possible to try it out and compare it to other boards before you buy. Personally, I wouldn't feel confident going with an unknown board after only a few online reviews even if they are positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Selle
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with Hilinski is, they only ship to North America, so that is out of question with the OP...

Dr-WhoopAss wrote:
I'm pretty sure the $200 for the Hilinski board is in USD.

I've played with a Hilinski, a Mayday basic board and a Muzzies. I tried to go with the $100 Mayday board when it was first released and I regretted it as the surface was slow and no matter how much I waxed it, stayed slow and very inconsistent. I then decided to purchase a Blomidon Muzzies. The Muzzies was far superior to the basic Mayday in my opinion. Once waxed, it was fast and consistent.

When my brother got married, I ordered a Hilinski for them as a wedding present. As soon as I got to play on that board, I wish I would have just ponied up the extra money from the get go to get the Hilinski for myself. I like the Hilinski the best for a nice speedy surface and how beautiful the boards look. From my experience, the Hilinski board I purchased for them doesn't need waxing nearly as much as my Muzzies does to stay fast.

I play Crokinole enough at my house (and I even bring it to parties) and have gotten a great deal of enjoyment out of my Muzzies board. If you can make the $200 happen for a Hilinski, I don't think you'll be regretting your decision. Unlike a board game, a Crokinole board has a much higher chance of being used for decades.

I don't have any experience with the Romanian board. I would advise if it's at all possible to try it out and compare it to other boards before you buy. Personally, I wouldn't feel confident going with an unknown board after only a few online reviews even if they are positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iadrianik wrote:
lifepawn wrote:

You might be right. I'll ask them.

You were right. all the boards are the same wood: birch.

Takvorian wrote:
I checked the Romanian website. It seems that it is not working yet...

Yes, it says "Page under construction".

Dr-WhoopAss wrote:
If you can make the $200 happen for a Hilinski, I don't think you'll be regretting your decision.

Takvorian wrote:
The problem with Hilinski is, they only ship to North America, so that is out of question with the OP...

Marcus is right. Hilinski do not ship to Romania.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.