Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been recording more of my plays here on BGG and I've started pondering, should I record a separate play for each expansion that I include in a game session.

That starts getting unwieldy in games like X-Wing and Carcassonne.

When building Rebel squads in X-wing, I nearly always use Y-Wings as my workhorse. I don't play Carcassonne anymore without the Inns & Cathedrals expansion.

How do you record your plays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Addendum: In the case of X-Wing, how would you record the use of multiples of that expansion? For example, a squad of 4 Y-Wings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Patterson
Saudi Arabia
Ras Tanura
Eastern Province
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it comes down to what it is you want to track. In my case, after a bit of initial floundering around, I decided that my primary objective was to record total number of plays. I annotate in the comments whether or not I used any expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RustyInRT wrote:
I guess it comes down to what it is you want to track. In my case, after a bit of initial floundering around, I decided that my primary objective was to record total number of plays. I annotate in the comments whether or not I used any expansions.

Yep. I stick with the main game and annotate as well. It's just simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too. Base game is where the play is recorded.

I understand that some development work is underway to allow for linked recorded plays of expansions used?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eoin Corrigan wrote:
I understand that some development work is underway to allow for linked recorded plays of expansions used?

That would be fantastic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Patterson
Saudi Arabia
Ras Tanura
Eastern Province
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eoin Corrigan wrote:

thumbsup That would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RustyInRT wrote:
Eoin Corrigan wrote:

Not sure how long it will take.

I always just log the game under the main game (or starter set) and for somethings like Carc I would put 0.1 play down on the expansion to show I used it, but it will not log the play as one.

I think with collectibles it just gets too much to have it all down there. I will not even mark as owned the different ships I have because I would rather not have my collection sprawling across 52 pages

Were I to record my Star Wars Miniatures by figure individually this would surely be the case.

I then use the comment section to record other useful info (e.g. Memoir 44 I will say which expansions we played with).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Brutilus wrote:
How do you record your plays?

Base game + every expansion used without resorting to fractional play tricks. It's easier to remove data from a known source rather than invent it at a later stage.

But there really is no good way of registering what you did, and frankly, it also depends on what you want to do with it. BGG's system is inadequate for creating a highly searchable log book of all aspects of play. My intent is simply to inform me what I did more or less when, and then it's not really all that important to be precise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I log the base game with information about which expansions are used, how many players, some games with end scores and some with a detailed session report.

I also log the expansions separately without play info.

I guess in the long run something like Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game would revert to only logging games on the core box entry, but so far I have logged the expansions separately. (I don't get to play as much I would like, it not being suitable for everyone in our group, and I mostly never get just 2-player gaming sessions.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
With something customizable, like X-Wing or an LCG, I would only log the base game and ignore the expansions (except with Lord of the Rings - I log the play for the expansion in question and don't log it with the base game if the scenario I'm playing is from an expansion).

For anything with a considerably smaller number of expansions, I log base game + every expansion used, and all at full play count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weaver
United States
Denver
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RustyInRT wrote:
Eoin Corrigan wrote:

Yes, in the form to record the play, checkboxes for each expansion used (default to checked if owned perhaps?) would be ideal. Especially if those checkboxes automatically fed the "play" into the game page for the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.