Maxim Kalenkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
Booh!
badge
Booh!
mbmbmbmbmb
´╗┐Probably it was already discussed, but anywhere I can not find pithy discussion.

What races do you consider of preferability for each profession and why?

I want to start a new campaign with newbies and want to give them various unprejudiced advice for the choice of races, but did not find such a topic here and in a Yahoo group.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are you working from the base book only or do you have expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Kalenkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
Booh!
badge
Booh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all expansions, but for start we use base and GCW only

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Strauss
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Engineer - Canosian, Trundlian possibly Zoallan - (needs good mobility due to the shape of the Engine Module)

Scientist - Can be almost anything. I've seen Trundlian, Zoallan and Whistler. (Better with 2+ hands. Silicoids may be limited. May need good mobility, important to have very high SCI skill for healing)

Pilot - Silicoid, Zoallan, Human (Needs to "hold the fort". Absord damage is good, as well the human professional roll)

Marine - Silicoid (with cyberarm even better), Canosian, Xeloxian (Good to have lot of hands. Best with High Target Number on start, later in the game it does not matter)

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Kalenkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
Booh!
badge
Booh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Andy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to think they are balanced but here's what I find.

Pilots tend to be human or silicoid. The human reroll is marginal but pilots live on the margins. Silicoid pilots don't need another hand.

Engineers tend toward canosians and zoallans. The movment and a free hand for a toolkit are nice.

boarding marines tend to be xeloxian or zoallan. The personal damage bonus is nice and they both can get around. Shipboard marines are more likely to be human or zoallan but I think that is more flavor than anything else.

Scientists are often tentac. Their resilience makes them able to get into the thick of things better than a canosian and infinite hands are useful so you can carry a medkit and a weapon and still have a hand free to operate a battlestation.

The newer species in HMFYP tend to have some real obstacles for certain jobs. My current playtest campaign has a Pyreltian pilot who spends luck to show up on phase 2 if need be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Shaffstall
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen Trundlian pilots work very well, since they don't need to move.

Canosian marines can be a great choice for mobility, especially combined with abilities that allow free attacks during/after movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.