20 Posts

Firefly: The Game – Pirates & Bounty Hunters» Forums » Rules

Subject: sash's hand cannon question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ferd thegamer
United States
flag msg tools
I had a recent game where i did a bounty on another players ship. after boarding and before the showdown Sash's hand cannon states that i disgrutle the captain of the ship. So the issue is this...the captain was already disgruntled so does this mean that the captain immediatly fires his/her crew before the showdown?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i would say yes since under leaders in rule book pg10 it says you "immediately discard all your crew."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Z
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes! I've mentioned this in a few threads: If you try to pirate an opponent who possesses a moral captain and Sash's hand cannon, you will get crushed. If you succeed, you lose your entire crew (hand cannon disgruntles, success pirating a moral captain also disgruntles). If you fail, you are disgruntled and better hope to get away before they steal your crew or pirate you, which would mean another encounter with the hand cannon and losing your entire crew!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
At least you don't have to pay your Crew...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Pirating a moral captain only disgruntles your MORAL crew. Going in with a already disgruntled Captain and moral crew may not be the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janis Pütz
Germany
Dortmund
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually the hand cannon seams a bit overpowered to me.

Last game I played another player had that one and I didnt dare to pirate him, bc it would get my leader disgruntled and then giving him the chance in his turn to pirate me - which would leave me without any crew.

Of course this works only if he has a pirate job too. But in that case it basically eliminates the possibility to pirate him. (its possible, but its suicide)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Moss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Pirate him with an Amnon Duul Piracy job, and you'll steal any Piracy jobs he has. Gives you time to run away and Shore Leave while he has no jobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluejanis wrote:
Actually the hand cannon seams a bit overpowered to me.

Last game I played another player had that one and I didnt dare to pirate him, bc it would get my leader disgruntled and then giving him the chance in his turn to pirate me - which would leave me without any crew.

Of course this works only if he has a pirate job too. But in that case it basically eliminates the possibility to pirate him. (its possible, but its suicide)

Exactly, I also think it's too overpowered. It's almost impossible to attack the player with who has it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Hand-cannon is a tough piece to overcome. However,on Meridian (in the new Blue Sun Expansion) there is Mal's Pistol which is a 2-fight Firearm that when the owner makes a fight test he removes disgruntled from himself.

That makes an awesome counter to the Hand-Cannon:
1) Player gets Disgruntled before showdown.
2) Player fires his gun and gets un-disgruntled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from this case↑, I agree that Sash's Hand Cannon makes its owner an undesirable target in many cases...nearly all cases. Too powerful?? Perhaps in a two-player game, where the only person able to tackle piracy with confidence would be the owner of said weapon.

For the most part though, we have yet to play a game where piracy jobs were worth the effort, risk, or hand space anyway. There are so many contingencies attached to piracy jobs--Do I have moral crew that will become disgruntled? If so, opponent can provide a better offer immediately afterward. Do my opponents even meet the "target" condition? Does anyone even have goods, jobs, or cash worth going after? Is it worth it just to mess with them? We had hoped that the piracy jobs would make for a fun amount of interaction, but they usually just sit in the contact discard piles.

Jumping bounties has been fun though, especially when the target opponent has amassed 2+ bound fugitives on a cortex alert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Statarius

Citrus Heights
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not just piracy, but a player with the HC can engage in bounty jumping with impunity. She attacks, disgruntles me, then I counterattack and she disgruntles me again....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you have even a single other crewman you can avoid that by just killing the other crewman. But I hear what you are saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Here's a question, if your doing a bounty with the hand cannon, and you cause them to get a second disgruntled which causes their crew to be fired, do you count the bounty as failed? Or do you still get to try to take the now fired guy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would say the bounty fails... for now.

Sash's Hand Cannon Disgruntles BEFORE the Showdown roll, and a double-Disgruntled Leader fires his Crew IMMEDIATELY, so that also happens before the Showdown roll.

Of course, now it's a race to get to the Discard pile to see who can nab the bounty...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Would that cause the negatives for the failed bounty then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think we've stumbled into a gap in play mechanics, so there's no obvious choice, but here's how I would rule it:

1) Upon using Sash's Hand Cannon against an already-Disgruntled Leader, that Leader immediately dismisses his Crew.

2) The showdown - already committed to - continues. The attacker will almost certainly win, because the Defender only has his Leader.

3) Effects of the SHOWDOWN are applied as normal... except that since the Bounty is in the area, there's no bounty to claim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with this↑ even if it is unavoidably wonky. After all, any showdown you enter into has a purpose and usually a consequence for losing. I would follow the consequence for losing the showdown per the bounty card. That is, after all, the reason for entering the showdown. If not per that card, what else would you lean on for the ruling?

The problem here still lies with how a single piece of gear manages to command such power, and effect the game's theme in a questionable manner. Looks like the confusion behind the OPs question has come full circle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On the plus side, however, after your rival fires all of his crew he's unlikely to win a SHOWDOWN.

Winning a showdown only allows you to take a bounty it does not mandate it. Therefore you could, theoretically, win a SHOWDOWN and not take a bounty even if the captain didn't fire his crew.

I think George has it on the nose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
I asked the gale force nine poster on here, and he said basicly it causes the crew to get fired, and the attacker autofails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mb
I have removed Sash's Hand Cannon from my game per house rule (as I have read many others have as well) as I see no way to balance it. It just has a strong potential to further decrease already lacking player interaction (one of the issues with this otherwise nice game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.