Popular Tags: [View All]
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our game group (Bangor Area Gamers Guild or B.A.G.G.) meets every other Saturday at our local library. In the summertime we are forced to head out and find other places to game.

I found a insanely awesome "Community Room" that is free and sponsored by a local bank. It is really nice, huge, kitchenette and multiple gaming areas.

Only snag is that we need our own liability insurance, just in case someone chokes on a meeple.

Just dipping my toes into researching this. Any suggestions? Observations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GameKnightMaine wrote:

I found a insanely awesome "Community Room" that is free . . .

. . . except for that having to purchase liability insurance thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Arpin
United States
Baltic
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would ask whoever owns the room if it is their requirement or the bank's requirement that you carry liability insurance to use the site. I can't see why it would be the bank but if they say the bank requires it as part of their sponsorship ask for their contact person they arranged the sponsorship through. Once you are in touch with the person you need to talk to, whether it is the site owner or the bank contact, I would try to get this info...

- find out what company most other people who have presented liability insurance for use of the room have used before
- ask what monetary level of insurance is required
- Ask if they require a room use agreement (kind of a short term rental agreement) if they are requiring insurance, so ask for a copy of that to look over
- ask if you are required to list the bank and/or the facility owner as an "additional insured" or it is just your group that has to be insured.

If you have homeowner's insurance you could contact your agent for that and ask them if you can extend a liability policy off it to cover an event you are hosting at another site. You could also directly contact a company like Nationwide, Allstate, or Fireman's Fund and ask about the restrictions and cost feasibility for Event Liability Insurance or Special Liability Insurance. A site like EventHelper may even be worth putting in a call to since they specialize in it and could have a lot of useful info.

It could be far more costly and time consuming that it is worth so if it was me I would keep my eyes open for another location as I did my insurance research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Ask them for a waiver of liability and sign it.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Maawdawg wrote:
If you have homeowner's insurance you could contact your agent for that and ask them if you can extend a liability policy off it to cover an event you are hosting at another site. You could also directly contact a company like Nationwide, Allstate, or Fireman's Fund and ask about the restrictions and cost feasibility for Event Liability Insurance or Special Liability Insurance. A site like EventHelper may even be worth putting in a call to since they specialize in it and could have a lot of useful info.

Our club has a policy with Nationwide. I remember it being pretty reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

S.

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work since he can't sign away someone else's rights, by which I mean the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
American legal system in 2014. Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ElCid91 wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

S.

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work since he can't sign away someone else's rights, by which I mean the other players.

Good point. Meet at the food court.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Contact a couple local insurance agents and see if there's anything available at a reasonable price. Your group could have a membership fee (or attendance fee) to cover the expense if it is reasonable...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.