Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Barnhart
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Turn 1, with optional cards and +2 US influence, do people think Nasser is a mandatory HL for the USSR to avoid the auto 4 point ME Scoring HL or just roll the dice?

This is my only problem with the US +2 optional because it gives the US opening dominance in ME and no presence for USSR. I read an alternative proposal which would just grant the US 3 in Iran at opening but give the USSR 2 in Syria to balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Nasser is about the best headline for USSR. +2IPs don't give US dominance as you can only put in countries in which you already have IPs. Its 4VPs however. US used to headline ME scoring anyway before to avoid negative points later... so in that case it was 4VPs for soviets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Barnhart
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. I knew it was Presence +1 - not dominance. My mistake.

What do you think about giving USSR Syria at start for balance or do you think the 4VP potential isn't that bad of a swing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I don't think its bad. Generally IPs/OPs are better than VPs at the start. So ME scoring is still worse than any 4OPs (=It is not exeptinally powerful card). In addition USSR can cancel that with Nasser and also gain 2IPs & accessto Libya.

-----

I do think that giving US additional to ME has helped a lot since as you can see from my above analysis I think ME scoring was absolutely horrible card earlier (before additional IPs). Sacrifice your headline to get rid of it and risk USSR gaining 4VPs. And that was generally thought as a good move.

-----

Errm I said earlier in because WGR (I think that is where 2 came from) started to iterate from 0 when optionals came (and onece before that). Rulebook has mentioned bidding & overcontrol for a while. In tourneys some people (like me ) bid more than 2 for USSR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Barnhart
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, Rikku. Alway look forward to your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Mitiu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
positivelyrob wrote:

What do you think about giving USSR Syria at start for balance or do you think the 4VP potential isn't that bad of a swing?

Could be an idea.

The only drawback of a Nasser-headline is that it offer an additional space for US to perform a coup and with reasonable success ( coup in Irak is usually a waste of OPs just in idea to decrease DEFCON/get needed Mil Ops ). Also a long-delayed Nasser - after Sadat expels the Soviets* is played - may be really devastating but it's too tricky to base a ME-strategy on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.