Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BattleCON: War of Indines» Forums » News

Subject: Level99 Games... and Arcane Wonder? Kickstarter Crossover rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The mage(s) from Mage Wars are coming to BattleCON War of Indines Kick starter.
Quote:
We're partnering with Level 99 for their upcoming Kickstarter where our Mages will appear in their game and their Mages will appear in a future Mage Wars expansion.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=682787021757393&...

https://mobile.twitter.com/MageWars/status/47172468196418764...

I am a huge Mage Wars fan and I am extremely excited.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange crossover but I am open to any new fighters for BC.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited! A crossover from a game I really like this time! (No offense, Sentinels. Just not my thing.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
Strange indeed.

I was not a fan of Mage Wars at all and regretted ever buying into it, but a new fighter is a new fighter.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So a character from my favorite game is crossing over into my second favorite game? Cool.

I wonder how the Adramelech Warlock will compare to Kallistar, as they're both all about fire.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kallistar self-immolates (She transforms in and out of Elemental form and gains buffs, but loses life). The Adramelech Warlocks immolates others, and gains benefits from their "I'm Burnin'! Burnin'!!!" status. So I'd guess the warlock places and manipulates "Burn" tokens, and her styles would benefit from them somehow.

Edit:Typos.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DoubleH wrote:
Kallistar self-immolates (She transforms in and out of Elemental form and gains buffs, but loses life). The Adramelech Warlocks immolates others, and gains benefits from their "I'm Burnin'! Burnin'!!!" status. So I'd guess the warlock places and manipulates "Burn" tokens, and her styles would benefit from them somehow.

Edit:Typos.


This is how I see her. Kallistar reminds me of Phoenix from UMvC3.

I figured certain attacks would place burn markers on her target and use (discard) them to do a lot of damage, like her Mage War counterpart.



EDIT: I confused her ability with the recently previewed Combustion spell.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see the Adramelech Warlock applying Burns that make her attacks against them more powerful and damaging them over time. Or applying penalties with curses. Or both.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see Force Master as another fighter. Its possible judging on what Arcane Wonders has posted. That and it'd be nice to get more female characters. I'm giddy now.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RayLancer wrote:
I'd love to see Force Master as another fighter. Its possible judging on what Arcane Wonders has posted.

The Forcemaster is interesting in that Force Pull seems like an easy assignment for her additional base (Well, that or the force sword.), but I'm not really sure what her core mechanic would be. Not nearly as easy to envision as the Ad. Warlock.

RayLancer wrote:
That and it'd be nice to get more female characters. I'm giddy now.


I feel that Battlecon's been pretty good about keeping a fairly even gender ratio: Devastation is 17:13(~57% Male and 43% Female) and War is 10:8 (~56% Male and ~44% Female), together's it's 27:21 (which is about about 4:3 or 56.25% Male and 43.75% Female) . Though I suppose the ratio gets more skewed towards men if you include the promos (7:2!?)(34:23, or ~60% Male and ~40% Female). So yeah, I don't think it's particularly skewed, but I can see wanting to get that up to 50%.

Copy'd and Pasted from the Battlecon Wiki and slightly edited:

Female Characters in Devastation: 13
Adjenna Callista - Dragon Queen
Aria - Robotic Explorer
Kaitlyn Van Sorrel - Spatial Hacker
Kajia Septie Salix
Karin & Jager Brandtford - Werewolf Twins
Lesandra Machan - Battle Summoner
Lymn
Marmelee Greyheart - Lost Princess
Oriana Xenia Vellopholetta - Alien Warlord
Ottavia Six - Cybernetic Sniper
Runika Zenanen - Artificer
Shekhtur Lenmorre - Cursed Heroine
Tanis Trilives - Ghostly Puppeteer

Male Characters in Devastation: 17
Alexian XXXVII - War King
Arec Russel Zane - Prodigal Sorceror
Byron Krane - Immortal
Cairngort Rexan - Overlord
César Grist
Clinhyde - Super Soldier
Clive Melmont
Eligor Larington - Templar
Endrbyt
Gaspar Geddon - Doom Cultist
Gerard Matranga - Mercenary King
Iaxus the Shattered
Joal Kalmor - Monster Hunter
Malandrax Mecchi - Deadly Genius
Pendros Schalla - Wandering Druid
Saint Mikhail Isen - Herald of Judgment
Voco Astrum - Zombie Rocker

Male Characters in War: 10
Hikaru Sorayama
Cadenza
Luc Von Gott
Rukyuk Amberdeen
Regicide Heketch
Demitras Denigrande
Zaamassal Kett
Seth Cremmul
Sagas Seities
Khadath Ahemusei

Female Characters in War: 8
Magdelina Larington
Kallistar Flarechild
Vanaah Kalmor
Hepzibah Culotre
Lixis Ran Kanda
Kehrolyn Ross
Tatsumi Nuoc
Cherri Seneca

Male Promo Characters in War(The Original Kickstarter): 5
Claus & Wyndhal (since Claus is one on in the field)
Danny the Sinner
Robert the Saint
Ernie the Geek
Takeshi Kamikaze (Though he's backer and PNP only)

Female Promo Characters in War(The Original Kickstarter): 0
Wyndhal might count as half?

Male Promo Characters in Devastation: 2
Mark.PTO
Legacy and the Freedom Five

Female Promo Characters in Devastation: 2
VG Gal Iris
Bridj

Edit: Typo, leave me alone.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DoubleH wrote:
The Forcemaster is interesting in that Force Pull seems like an easy assignment for her additional base (Well, that or the force sword.), but I'm not really sure what her core mechanic would be. Not nearly as easy to envision as the Ad. Warlock.


I figured it'd probably have to do something with her shield. Or her force sword like you said. Another possibility are our autonomous summons, like her stalker creature minion which could be represnted by tokens on the board. But that ability may be better with the beast masters or something.

I'm curious to see what Brad came up with, and which mages he chose to be included beyond that female warlock.

DoubleH wrote:
I feel that Battlecon's been pretty good about keeping a fairly even gender ratio: Devastation is 17:13(~57% Male and 43% Female) and War is 10:8 (~56% Male and ~44% Female), together's it's 27:21 (which is about about 4:3 or 56.25% Male and 43.75% Female) . Though I suppose the ratio gets more skewed towards men if you include the promos (7:2!?)(34:23, or ~60% Male and ~40% Female). So yeah, I don't think it's particularly skewed, but I can see wanting to get that up to 50%.


Agreed. It's more than most boardgames in my collection that have characters. It really helps with my play group since it's about almost 50/50 with males/females that plays boardgames with me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is an ill-conceived crossover. Every guest character that gets printed is one Indines character that doesn't, and there is no shortage of intriguing Indines character just begging to be in Battlecon.

The Lore and storyline of the Indines setting, as well as the connections between the characters is one of the game's greatest attractions for me. The promo characters from War and Devastation don't get played by me or my friends. Mage wars characters would not either.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
I think this is an ill-conceived crossover. Every guest character that gets printed is one Indines character that doesn't, and there is no shortage of intriguing Indines character just begging to be in Battlecon.

I don't feel this is ill-conceived at all. I think it's a great move on 99's part: Mage Wars is highly ranked and popular, and crossing over with them will probably give them good exposure. I'm not sure what Arcane Wonders is getting exactly from the exchange, as they're the bigger fish (I think), but if they want to do it, more power to them.

themanfromsaturn wrote:
The Lore and storyline of the Indines setting, as well as the connections between the characters is one of the game's greatest attractions for me. The promo characters from War and Devastation don't get played by me or my friends. Mage wars characters would not either.

I also enjoy the lore for both games, but I'm don't think that the exchange is exactly zero-sum here. I most certainly could be wrong (and in fact probably wrong am), but it's not set in stone that "Promo Characters Included = Non-Promo Dropped". So even if Ad. Warlock and Forcemaster were included as promotions, doesn't mean Xal Ezra (I can always hope) and Baenvier Marlgrove were dropped for them. They might never have been in the plan to begin with.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
These are both great games by two accomplished independent publishers and understand it will likely generate good publicity between the communities, but I hope they aren't planning to get ALL the mages crossed over... I tend to prefer my gaming worlds pure and usually don't spend much time with "promo" characters unless I've really grown bored with the game, which I really just don't ever see happening with BattleCON.

The Mage Wars mages are very basic as far as fantasy themes go, and one of BattleCON's strongest aspects are it's truly unique character designs.

That's my 2 cents, at least...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm admittedly a purist in terms of game-worlds. Guest characters (even ones I like) stick out like sore-thumbs to me and detract from the theme.

I have no idea how something like this plays out as a business arrangement between companies. If level99 is getting paid to feature the mage wars characters, then this might be a good thing, and maybe they can use the proceeds to improve the content of the game. If, on the other hand, they have to pay to license the characters, I think it's a mistake. Since they are using each other's characters, maybe they are calling it a wash. I don't know.

Point is, I don't think including these characters will attract anyone who wasn't interested already. For example, I love Byron Crane, but I'm not about to go pick up a copy of mage wars just because they throw him into it. People who are fans of both franchises might enjoy this, but I'm not one of them, and would rather see Indines characters in Indines games.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
I'm admittedly a purist in terms of game-worlds. Guest characters (even ones I like) stick out like sore-thumbs to me and detract from the theme.

I have no idea how something like this plays out as a business arrangement between companies. If level99 is getting paid to feature the mage wars characters, then this might be a good thing, and maybe they can use the proceeds to improve the content of the game. If, on the other hand, they have to pay to license the characters, I think it's a mistake. Since they are using each other's characters, maybe they are calling it a wash. I don't know.

Point is, I don't think including these characters will attract anyone who wasn't interested already. For example, I love Byron Crane, but I'm not about to go pick up a copy of mage wars just because they throw him into it. People who are fans of both franchises might enjoy this, but I'm not one of them, and would rather see Indines characters in Indines games.

I agree. If there are more Indines characters that could be put in, then I am all for putting them in instead.

But perhaps they are waiting to put more Indines characters in the next release in the series: BattleCON: Endines?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We kind of have to think of it as playing the DLC Scorpion (from Mortal Kombat) against Superman in the video fighting game Injustice: Gods Among Us, or being able to play as Link/Spawn/Ezio in the Soul Calibur universe. It's definitely not unheard of and it was actually a nice selling point for me to be able to play as Link in one of my favorite fighting games. I'm not sure why I'm less enthused about it in the Indines world, but imagine it's because it's all still so new to me.

In fact, I actually wouldn't mind trying Legacy in a BattleCON match.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicest thing is you don't need to use these promo characters. Judging by the last KS project we'll be getting 1 or 2 at most characters from Mage Wars. They could'be been Indines characters but we will probably see more with the KS. War of Indines was originally just going to be a direct reprint without a KS.

This is a nice way of getting new players to notice and join the BattleCON community. Which is what I believe Level99 games and Arcane Wonders intended. Whether or not that works is another story. I think this good for Level99 games a publisher to work with a bigger and established company like Arcane Wonder.

Everyone has different opinions in crossover but there has been a lot of fans for them, even if they don't make sense. Examples from videogames include Marvel vs Capcom, DC vs Mortal Kombat, Kingdom Hearts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
I'm admittedly a purist in terms of game-worlds. Guest characters (even ones I like) stick out like sore-thumbs to me and detract from the theme.

I have no idea how something like this plays out as a business arrangement between companies. If level99 is getting paid to feature the mage wars characters, then this might be a good thing, and maybe they can use the proceeds to improve the content of the game. If, on the other hand, they have to pay to license the characters, I think it's a mistake. Since they are using each other's characters, maybe they are calling it a wash. I don't know.

Point is, I don't think including these characters will attract anyone who wasn't interested already. For example, I love Byron Crane, but I'm not about to go pick up a copy of mage wars just because they throw him into it. People who are fans of both franchises might enjoy this, but I'm not one of them, and would rather see Indines characters in Indines games.



i cant say for sure as for the business arrangement but i believe it would be cost free to both parties. as in level 99 doesnt pay for the rights for the mage wars characters and arcane wonders doesnt pay for the rights for the battlecon characters. its like they are trading rights with eachother on a limited basis.

the benefit of this is almost like free advertising. it is making players of both games aware that the other exists. now you may think it unlikely that there are people out there who dont know about mage wars, or battlecon but you would be surprised. even if you were aware of a game before seeing it again may be the one thing you need to decide to make a purchase or get more info.

this happened with me with argent. i loved the idea and mechanics of argent so much i took another look at battlecon and ended up making a purchase.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
now you may think it unlikely that there are people out there who dont know about mage wars, or battlecon but you would be surprised. even if you were aware of a game before seeing it again may be the one thing you need to decide to make a purchase or get more info.


I think it's significantly more likely that someone who plays Battlecon is already aware of Mage Wars, while the reverse is not true, that someone who plays Mage Wars already knows BattleCon, but perhaps I am underestimating Battlecon and overestimating Mage Wars. 2D Fighting Game Board Game is more niche than LCG Game of Dueling Mages.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The simple reason for the crossover is that I like Mage Wars and the guys at Arcane Wonders (particularly Scott/Tox) like BattleCON. The fact that we get the awesome opportunity to do this crossover is mostly thanks to his intervention.

There are other crossovers coming too--we'll reveal more as the project advances
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm a big fan of crossovers. Anything that makes BattleCON's conceit of being a fighting game stronger is good with me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
The simple reason for the crossover is that I like Mage Wars and the guys at Arcane Wonders (particularly Scott/Tox) like BattleCON. The fact that we get the awesome opportunity to do this crossover is mostly thanks to his intervention.

There are other crossovers coming too--we'll reveal more as the project advances


Fair enough


Any chance you could get some Android: Netrunner characters? Something like Reina Roja - Freedom Fighter could be interesting...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see a crossover with UFS's Red Horizon IP. Before Yomi and BattleCON, I was playing Universal Fighting System.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brosman
United States
Roanoke
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play a lot of UFS if I had people close by. I've always enjoyed it.

Scott actually sent me his copy of BattleCon and I've been playing around with it. It's been quite fun. I'm going to be sad when I have to send it back, but I did sort the whole thing for him so hopefully he's down with that.

I've been quite excited about this cross-over since Scott told me about it, and having spent a good 2 hours watching the Warlock get drawn yesterday I can say that my enthusiasm has not died down.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.