Subject: X-Wing Companion Android app released! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guido Kessels
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everyone,

I just released an Android app called "X-Wing Companion".

X-Wing Companion (XWC) lets you browse every pilot, ship, upgrade, movement dial and expansion pack available in the game. You can download it from Google Play here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.guidokesse...

You can find a full list of features and screenshots here: http://xwingcompanion.com/

I'd love to hear your feedback
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I like this a lot!

One thing I would really love is if the ship's movement dial was on the top instead of the pilot cards. It would be a great, fast reference for when I'm playing a game and need to know where my opponent is likely to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just installed it and had a quick look. Looks great. Very easy to navigate and love that you've also included what set each card is available in.

Rated it 5 stars and left some feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
Oh and I also would prefer the "back" button on my phone to send me to the app's homepage and not close it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Kessels
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Donkler wrote:
I like this a lot!

One thing I would really love is if the ship's movement dial was on the top instead of the pilot cards. It would be a great, fast reference for when I'm playing a game and need to know where my opponent is likely to move.

Thanks! I'll think about moving the movement dial up a bit.

Benzy311 wrote:
Just installed it and had a quick look. Looks great. Very easy to navigate and love that you've also included what set each card is available in.

Rated it 5 stars and left some feedback.

Thanks a lot!

Donkler wrote:
Oh and I also would prefer the "back" button on my phone to send me to the app's homepage and not close it out.

This is a known issue. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to fix it yet, but it's high on my to-do list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should post this on the FFG's forms as well.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?showforum=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard van der Haak
Netherlands
Boerakker
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, FFG hasn't been to happy about apps that use card images in the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Fooled you!
badge
Click to edit.
mbmbmbmbmb
guidokessels wrote:
I'd love to hear your feedback

Make it for iOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhaak wrote:
Hmm, FFG hasn't been to happy about apps that use card images in the past.

Which is why I'm installing now before it gets removed!

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that it works offline, why does it have the network access permissions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just installed. This App looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sciretta
United States
WEST HOLLYWOOD
California
flag msg tools
I would use this if it was made for the iphone, or even better an iPad app!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bull
England
Southwater
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Installed and works really well, perfect for filling waiting time between tests at work. Using an Xperia Z and the phone back button does go back through pages rather than shut down the application right away.

I did also wonder about the network access. When it has access there is a small ad bar at the bottom. Is this something releasing via Google Play insists on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work, I am just installing it. 5 stars for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an Android user, so this is perfect for ME. But in the future, if the app isn't too complicated, consider making your app with PhoneGap or something similar. Then it works with any device and you don't have to program specifically for Androids or iPhones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Kessels
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Gonjeshk wrote:
Make it for iOS.

Orfilms wrote:
I would use this if it was made for the iphone, or even better an iPad app!

An iOS version is planned. I'm an Android user myself, so I just need to find some devices/people to test it.

Cowpers wrote:
Installed and works really well, perfect for filling waiting time between tests at work. Using an Xperia Z and the phone back button does go back through pages rather than shut down the application right away.

I did also wonder about the network access. When it has access there is a small ad bar at the bottom. Is this something releasing via Google Play insists on?

I'm glad you like it! The network access is used for two things:
- Advertisements
- App analytics*

*The app uses Google Analytics to keep track of how long it is used, which pages are the most popular, etc. This allows me to get an insight in how the app is used and how I can tweak it to make it better. All tracking is anonymous, and very similar to how tracking is done for websites (like BoardGameGeek.com)

rashktah wrote:
Great work, I am just installing it. 5 stars for you!

Awesome, thanks!

Hipsu wrote:
I'm an Android user, so this is perfect for ME. But in the future, if the app isn't too complicated, consider making your app with PhoneGap or something similar. Then it works with any device and you don't have to program specifically for Androids or iPhones.

The app is using Phonegap, so it should work on iOS with very little tweaking. The reason for releasing on Android first is twofold:
- It allows me to focus on one OS first, which speeds up development
- I don't have an iPhone myself, so I'd need to buy/borrow one to test the app before release
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keoki Young
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice, but it'd be even nicer with a squad builder function!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hughes
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome job Guido! The app looks great. I hope it stays around long enough for you to get the other options programmed in (Squad Builder, Collection, and iOS - so my Apple friends can use it, hehe).

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Kessels
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
keokiyoung wrote:
Very nice, but it'd be even nicer with a squad builder function!

This is the most requested feature
I'm working on it, but it'll take some time as squad builders are pretty complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a very good app, works great on my nexus 7. Will save me searching through decks of cards to look at what special rules each pilot has.

Will this app update itself if you update it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two suggestions:

(1) Include the rules cards (Bombs, Cloak, Decloak, Ion, and so on).

(2) Include the rules and rules inserts. (This may be too much for FFG to let slide, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Kessels
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
ironman99 wrote:
That is a very good app, works great on my nexus 7. Will save me searching through decks of cards to look at what special rules each pilot has.

Will this app update itself if you update it?

Yep, it should automatically update itself via Google Play.

To check if you have this enabled, open the app in Google Play and press the Menu icon. The "Auto-update" option should be checked.

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Two suggestions:

(1) Include the rules cards (Bombs, Cloak, Decloak, Ion, and so on).

(2) Include the rules and rules inserts. (This may be too much for FFG to let slide, though.)

Thanks for your suggestions!

However, as most of this stuff can be had on your phone by downloading the official FAQ pdf*, I am not sure how much use it'd be.

*http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guidokessels wrote:
as most of this stuff can be had on your phone by downloading the official FAQ pdf*, I am not sure how much use it'd be.

Ah, and it is, in fact, already on my phone. (The rules inserts aren't, because AFAIK they haven't been released in PDF, and I haven't gotten around to scanning them yet.)

But's that's not "one-stop" X-Wing reference, right?

You could, if nothing else, include links to the FAQ, Rules, Huge Ship Rules, and Tourney Rules. A natural second step in needing to reference the specific wording of a card, after all, is seeing how it has been interpreted in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice quick reference. I'd suggest adding a Modifications upgrade selection to the ships, but otherwise, very nice.

Edit: Seems to be a bug for Blount, too. He lists his upgrades as a single "Elite,Missile" upgrade, for which none are found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.