Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, I currently live in Reston, VA and my gaming group has stopped meeting regularly. I've tried meetup, but there tends to be infrequency with their meetups and spots get fill entirely too quickly. So this hasn't worked well for me.

I was thinking if there is interest we could meet in a public place, like Reston Library or the community center both have rooms you can reserve. I am open for suggestions.

I personally like the longer strategic thematic games, but I'm willing to try anything. You can see my owned list or want list to see my tastes, but I am willing to play a lot more than what is on there.

Let me know if there is any interest. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An-Jen Tai
United States
Palmyra
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be interested if you are planning to meet during the week in the evenings. I work in Tyson's Corner.

An-Jen Tai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm fine with week days, depending on how late the start time would need to be. Does friday night count as during the week or weekend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An-Jen Tai
United States
Palmyra
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would count it as during the week. FYI, I am partial to mod heavy to heavy Euros, e.g. Agricola, Glory to Rome, Terra Mystica, Lewis and Clark, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We meet at Comics & Gaming on Main St. in downtown Fairfax just about every Saturday afternoon. The manager reserves 1-2 tables for us depending upon whether or not there's a Magic or othe CCG tournament going on; on tournament days, there are generally more tables open after 4:00pm. Group members start arriving between noon and 1:00pm, and we game until closing at 8:00pm. Lately we've had 10-12 gamers at anyone time.

It's a little bit of a drive for you; the quickest way is to take I-66 to Rt 123 all the way down into Fairfax city. Plenty of free parking available, and the store sells soft drinks and snacks.

You're certainly welcome to join us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, i think i will look into that. Out of curiousity, what games typically get played? Every time i walked into a LGS it has been mostly minatures or CCGs that are being played.

FYI, i would still be interested in a reston group, if there's enough people interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Invasion81 wrote:
Thanks, i think i will look into that. Out of curiousity, what games typically get played? Every time i walked into a LGS it has been mostly minatures or CCGs that are being played.

Mainly euros, but also 'thematic' stuff. Boardgames and cards games; no RPGs or miniatures; no Magic and the like (the tournaments and other gamers are doing those)

You can count on at least one Power Grid game every week. Classics like Puerto Rico, Settlers of Catan (and spin-offs), Endeavor, Navegador, and Dominion still get played. The Railways of the World is popular, and several players have brought in homemade boards. Tzolk'in has been big; Eclipse, Firely, Robinson Crusoe, and Outpost have made it to the table in recent weeks. And we introduce newer stuff frequently -- one that has gotten a bit of play is Prosperity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

What type of games do you play?

I live in DC but I'm not opposed to driving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
i play almost everything except CCGs. I don't own miniatures, but I'm willing to play them.

My favorites are the thematic games, some would call Ameritrash. My current favorite game is Battlestar Galactica. But I want to emphasize that I'm looking to start a group that will play anything. So one week it could be Euros, another week Ameritrash. Whatever the gaming groups mood was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. I'd certainly be down for the times you play games other than euros (already have a group that I play far too many with).

BSG is definitely a favorite of mine .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Still looking for a couple more people so we can form a group.

Thanks,
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BUMP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bunch

Triangle
Virginia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving to Quantico next month. How far away would you be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
axe_troop wrote:
Moving to Quantico next month. How far away would you be?

http://www.google.com/search?q=quantico+va&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8...

52 minutes / 46 miles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Unfortunately Quantico is about an hour drive without traffic and the DC area tends to have a lot of Traffic.

If you are looking for a gaming group try Meetup. I know I've seen a couple in Alexandria, VA and Springfield, VA. Both are about a half an hour closer to Quantico.

But if you're willing to drive, and I find more people interested, you are more than welcome to come.

Though I have a feeling once you discover how bad traffic can be you might not want to make a drive that could potentially take anywhere from an hour to two hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Herndon, and would be glad to join in when possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invasion81 wrote:
Unfortunately Quantico is about an hour drive without traffic and the DC area tends to have a lot of Traffic.

If you are looking for a gaming group try Meetup. I know I've seen a couple in Alexandria, VA and Springfield, VA. Both are about a half an hour closer to Quantico.

But if you're willing to drive, and I find more people interested, you are more than welcome to come.

Though I have a feeling once you discover how bad traffic can be you might not want to make a drive that could potentially take anywhere from an hour to two hours.
When I was in the area and switched jobs, I stopped going to some of them because something that should only take 35 minutes of driving now went to 1h 5 minutes. For some reason, it feels more soul crushing knowing it's taking so much time to go such relatively little distance.

I used to play Race for the Galaxy after work with a gamer who was in the same building I worked in. He said he was going to Virginia Beach. I asked him why he didn't leave yet, and with the way traffic is on I-95, at least when heading south, if you haven't left by 12pm, you may as well wait until 8pm. It was THAT bad apparently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vreeland
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Woodbridge (just North of Quantico) and care verify how atrocious the traffic situation is in the area. Granted it's way worse the closer to DC you go but heading south to Quantico in the the early evening Route 1 is a two Lane "highway" with stoplights every 500ft. It's easier heading against the flow most of the time which is away from DC in the morning and towards DC in the evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Utter
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
You guys still meeting up on Saturdays? I moved to North Springfield a few months ago and my games are collecting dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spiegel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calcos wrote:
You guys still meeting up on Saturdays? I moved to North Springfield a few months ago and my games are collecting dust.

I'm in Alexandria and go to the meet ups for both Beer and Board games and the Arlington Alexandria Regional Gaming Group. Both meet on a regular basis.

http://www.meetup.com/beerbogglers/

http://www.meetup.com/AARGGH/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.