Dungeon Dice: Guilds» Forums » General

Subject: Is the game too easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Herman
msg tools
mbmb
Hi guys.

Currently a backer for Dungeon dice and gone through the rulebook. Wanted to see what owners of the game thought of certain elements which appear to make the game easier.

Allies getting XP for helping?

Allowing to trade during combat?

Not dying for taking wounds?

Running away from monsters with no penalty?

I understand the benefits of speeding up the game and to avoid a more cutthroat game but do these things not make the game too easy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intlmouse wrote:
Allies getting XP for helping?

I think this is a very important rule for early on. The first few fights can be very difficult until you can get better equipment, but in our games, we usually help just for that experience point, because it helps us get those green dice faster.

Intlmouse wrote:
Allowing to trade during combat?

We've never done this. I'd forgotten that you could. We very rarely trade dice at all.

Intlmouse wrote:
Not dying for taking wounds?

This would only serve to eliminate players from the game. I guess there's nothing wrong with that, but in this game, I don't miss the player elimination aspect.

Intlmouse wrote:
Running away from monsters with no penalty?

I'm not sure what penalty would be appropriate. Losing gear would be brutal early game. Taking a wound would remove the benefit of running away.

All in all, I think these aspects of the game work well. I really enjoy this game and I've played it with several different groups. None of them have had any complaints except for the vast number of symbols to memorize, and I've only heard that complaint once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Koskey
United States
Kahului
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

To answer your question.....my opinion is it is not too easy.

I think it is all about game balance.

With that said we have "house ruled" the run away aspect. Basically if you run from a monster you are tired during your next turn and do NOT have the option to run again. Also your total die roll is reduced by 2 during that next turn. We tried with just a 1 & 3 reduction but felt 2 balanced a penalty without making it impossible or completely undesirable to run when needed.

My wife suggested we could also house rule that a die must be rolled when running from a monster would be a better option. In this variation if you run you must roll a die with a result of 1 would result in that monster following you into your next battle. In which case you must now face 2 monsters.......we have not tried this as we cannot decide and agree what the reduction for the rolls for the player and monster should be for this variation (to represent them both being tired)......

Anyway....the game does not need any major tweaking but lends itself very well to house rules if you decide to do such.

It plays very well right out of the box.....or in this case right out of the bag...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, if you run away you're a turn behind everybody else. The game already has the double luck of a random die draw followed by a die roll, I think being able to run away without any penalty is important instead of being forced into a combat you're likely going to lose.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.