Subject: Looking For A Good Napoleonic Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I are currently watching the Sharpe tv series, based on Bernard Cornwell's novels set during the Napoleonic Wars. This has kindled an interest in me to hunt out a good Napoleonic-themed game. What I really fancy is an Axis & Allies style game, but as far as I know there aren't really any (apart from maybe the one from Eagle games, but I tried that a couple of years ago and didn't think much of it.) Failing that, I'm thinking of looking into Napoleonic miniature wargaming. Can anyone recommend any good Napoleonic miniatures war games and/or places to get miniatures from?

I'm curious about the upcoming 'Battles Of Napoleon' game from Nexus (as I think they did such a good job with War Of The Ring) but there seems to be very little information out about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious if you've tried Bonaparte at Marengo?

It's really a different type of game, a unique way of playing and makes you feel like your one of the generals of the time!

It's not really Axis and Allies like, (not even any dice), but do give it a look as a possibility. The designer is also working on his next project, a similarly run take on Austerlitz.

(I know this isn't a direct answer about miniatures, just trying to help you with all possibilities.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I've heard of that one, it seems to have a pretty good reputation. It looks interesting but it's not quite the sort of thing I'm after - I was thinking more of a larger scale game of the Napoleonic period, rather than just focusing on the one battle. I know that's fairly hard to get without making a monster of a game, I guess mainly due to the long time period involved and the fitfull nature of the fighting.

Thanks for the recommendation though, all help is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hurst
United States
Plain City
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe more than what you're asking for:

War and Peace

Did you read the Sharpe books?

(Everytime I see your avatar, I think that the antique business has been too hard on Lovejoy.)laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Or try Age of Napoleon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Nordstrom
United States
Drums
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I thought the avatar was that creepy guy from Deadwood. Anyhow, I've been meaning to pick up GMT's The Napoleonic Wars:

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/3409

It seems to recreate the diplomatic as well as strategic factors behind the entire war (like A&A), rather than a detailed focus on a single battle (like Marengo, which, I have to say, does look really cool).

I think the other advantage of TNW is that it can be played with just 2 or with up to 5, giving you some flexibility. Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Grand Strategic yet playable I can highly recommend GMT'S The Napoleonic Wars (you can pre oder at p500!!) or Phalanx, Age of Napoleon.
Other playable games you can have a look at are Wellington or Kutuzov (also from GMT) but I have never played those.

For Tactical / Operational there is an overwhealming choice. What is a good one?! Well depend if you prefer tactical or operational. If you want to start of cautiously, go for Phalanx Waterloo (tactical)or Columbia's Napoleon (operational/ semi-tactical).

Hex and counter at its best, try the excellent 'Eylau' from GDW. An oldie but imho an excellent and approachable hex and counter games around. Simply one of my best hex and counter games.

Napoleon at Leipzig is the best rated Napoleonic Wargame (Kevin Zucker). And if you and your girlfriend really grow into Napoleonic warfare take this name as Zucker is the Napoleonic expert.

For Napoleonic studies together, 'The Eagles turn East' is absolutely fantastic: both as a game as well as a history study. Make sure you have time and space. But still playable!

Very curious what you end up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon in Europe from Eagle Games is really the way to go. You just have to play with a set of house rules. I recommend the CTG variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justnord wrote:
Funny, I thought the avatar was that creepy guy from Deadwood.

Avatar aside: His avatar is the creepy guy from Deadwood, played by the same actor who used to play the lovable rogue antique-dealer/sleuth Lovejoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt La Botz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try ebay and pick up a copy of Napoleon's Battles to see if you like the mini battle system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, Age Of Napoleon looks tempting (and I am admitedly a sucker for 'pretty-looking' games).

"Did you read the Sharpe books?"

I've read a couple of them. All good, adventurous stuff. I particularly liked Bernard Cornwell's King Arthur trilogy though - have you ever tried them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the Sharpe series, definitely pick up the Horatio Hornblower DVD's as well. They're much better than the Sharpe DVD's imho. And the original Sharpe books are much better than the Sharpe DVD's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hurst
United States
Plain City
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
I particularly liked Bernard Cornwell's King Arthur trilogy though - have you ever tried them?

I love the Sharpe books, but the King Arthur trilogy took my breath away.
They're my favorites from one of my favorite authors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Risk Édition Napoléon is actually ment to be pretty good if you do the historical scenarios.
(http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1794)
Also check out Columbias Napoleon block game.
(http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1662)
With Age of Napoleon, beware that theres a second edition with substantial changes coming out in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
Hmmm, Age Of Napoleon looks tempting (and I am admitedly a sucker for 'pretty-looking' games).

"Did you read the Sharpe books?"

I've read a couple of them. All good, adventurous stuff. I particularly liked Bernard Cornwell's King Arthur trilogy though - have you ever tried them?

I can honestly say I think you'd enjoy Age of Napoleon the most, if two player only is fine with you. It is a medium complexity wargame that is a step in between A/A and some of the other more strenuous wargames. I have not played Napoleonic Wars, but if it is anything close to Paths of Glory it may be a bit much. However, AoN is two player - keep that in mind.

It is more random than some of the other hardcore wargames, but less random than your A/A, Risk, or History of the World weighted games. The random element is less in the dice rolling - you have a single die battle table with modifiers - but more with the card draws in the diplomacy phase. And it is very nice looking and high quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not look up "Sharpe's Attack" here on BGG. It may not fit your criteria as a "good" game, but it it just may satisfy your intrest in Sharpe. The game is basically Statego, but using Characters from the Sharpe series of novels. As I write this, there are three copies for auction on ebay (2 from UK, one from US).

I'm waiting for a GMT P500 game called MANOEUVRE (listed here also), which may fit your bill. Probably won't be out untill next year though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
> less random than your A/A

Nah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to give Age Of Napoleon a go. I've just ordered it from the nice chaps at Spirit Games, so I'll have to wait and see what it's like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chargetheguns wrote:
> less random than your A/A

Nah

Well it is a good game. Didn't mean to make everyone pass over your NIE variant that I've heard good things about from the Dallas people, even as I was leaving that city. Mostly via...some website. I think it was the wargaming group site that meets once a month.

Is it a lot of work to "install" the variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoplosternum
United Kingdom
Romford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
I decided to give Age Of Napoleon a go. I've just ordered it from the nice chaps at Spirit Games, so I'll have to wait and see what it's like.

I don't think you will be disappointed. It's a manageable, attractive and relatively quick two player strategic simulation of the period.

You will want to pick up the latest rule patches / living rules to iron out any of the ambiguities in the rules as written.

The game is fairly luck dominated. The cards you pick up can be decisive. This is not Paths of Glory in the Napoleonic era with nicely balanced hands. Your opponent might end up playing cards that give him/her Prussia and Spain, plus exiling Nappy to Elba for a year while you get a bunch of discards.

A more heavy weight 'Paths of Glory' style two player, card driven, Napoleonic, wargame is Wellington. That focuses on the Peninsular War exclusively although I don't think Sharpe himself makes an appearance laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:

Ack! did you look at the rules for this? The original rules were a mess and the living ones are quite large.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quite a few Napoleonic wargames out there. (After WWII, this is probably the next most prolific topic for wargames.)

Here are a wargames few to consider:

Age of Napoleon
This strategic level wargame pits 2-players vying for control over Europe. The rules for this beautifully rendered game by Phalanx Games is currently undergoing a revamping by the game's designer. Please note, however, that these v2.0 rules have been 'in the works' for quite a while now.

Bonaparte at Marengo
This 2-player block wargame (typically abbreviated to BaM) is a dice-less (almost luckless) game by Simmons Games. It revolves around a very specific battle between the Austrians and Napoleon's French army in the vicinity of the town called Marengo. In my opinion, this is an excellent game, and it is very well regarded by the community. Additionally, there is an excellent Cyberboard game box for it.

Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 (aka Napoleon: Waterloo Campaign, 1815)
This block wargame by Columbia Games is unique that it plays with either 2- or 3-players. One player controls the French, while the other players control the Anglo-Allies and the Prussians. (With only two players, the other player controls both the Anglo-Allies as well as the Prussians.) The current version is the 3rd edition of the game. This game is considered by many to be one of the forerunners of modern block wargaming.

Napoleon's Triumph
This upcoming game (again, by Simmons Games) covers the Napoleonic Battle of Austerlitz. There has been a steadily growing buzz surrounding this game. It will use a resolution system which is similar to that of Bonaparte at Marengo, so if you enjoyed BaM then this game is almost a sure bet.

Just my 2 cents. Good gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, no worries about CTG NIE or anything related to that. Email me if you want to know more, really. What I was saying is that statistically, with the buckets of dice system in A&A, there is very much less actual randomness in A&A than in the cards and "single roll determines a lot" approach of AoN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.