Subject: Which expansions are broken? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone at our FLGS mentioned to me that some of the expansions are bad/broken. Is this true? If so, which ones should be avoided?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He probably meant Forbidden Alchemy, which had a lot of problems with its first printing, including one scenario that was unplayable because it required two map tiles that had been printed as two sides of one piece, but those issues were fixed with the newer print run. I don't think all of the scenarios are that great (haven't played them), but the components are still good and some or one of the scenarios is supposed to be good.

But really all you need is Call of the Wild. It's fantastic.

-ryanjamal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Don't buy the Silver Tablet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost all of the scenarios has at least one subpar objective, including the ones in the base game. However, no scenarios except Silver Tablet (from what I have heard) are totally broken; they all have at least one good objective. Call of the Wild scenarios are more balanced than most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The Green-Eyed Boy is broken with any objective, but it's still worth playing once because it's fun until you realize why it's broken. Classroom Curses isn't broken per se, but I don't know if I could call it "good" with any objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback folks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit late, but check out this poll.

Already bought an expansion ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
A bit late, but check out this poll.

Already bought an expansion ?

Thanks! Those results seem to mesh with the advice above... I think we'll start with CotW...

If I find Forbidden Alchemy at my FLGS, How do I determine that its the corrected print run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the lower right/left corner of the back of the box. You should find a print ID stating its date of production (month and year).

If you want to know what the latest print is or at what point of time they printed the revised edition, I am afraid I cannot help you, but I am pretty sure that Fantasy Flight Games themselves will gladly help you.

At least, that's what the German publisher did for me when asking about the latest print ID of the base game.

Good luck !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.