Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Hromas
United States
Bovina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just got EH last weekend and the fam and I are playing our 2nd game. I've got a few questions. 1) We drew the Mythos Card "Return of the Ancient Ones". It reads:

When an investigator on space 19 defeats a Monster, he may spend 1 Clue to place that Monster on this card.

When the total toughness of Monsters on this card is equal to or greater than investigators, solve this Rumor.

Okay, what is a scenario in which this is accomplished? How does a monster get to space 19 in order for an investigator to be on space 19 and defeat it? Or can you defeat a monster without being on the same space as it is and having an encounter?

2) Are research encounter cards discarded or put back on the bottom of the deck?

3) If you deplete a decks of encounter cards, do you reshuffle and make new decks?

That's all I can think of right now though I'm pretty sure I had some other questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthromas wrote:
Okay, what is a scenario in which this is accomplished? How does a monster get to space 19 in order for an investigator to be on space 19 and defeat it? Or can you defeat a monster without being on the same space as it is and having an encounter?

The Reckoning effect of that Rumor spawns monsters on space 19.

(One of my few pet peeves about this game is that the Mythos card layout makes it easy to resolve Rumors one step at a time, but hard to understand why it's bad and what you have to do when you first draw the card.)

Quote:
2) Are research encounter cards discarded or put back on the bottom of the deck?

Discarded, though I couldn't find a rules reference. A space-saving tip is to discard cards face-up to the bottom of their decks, so you reshuffle when you get to the first face-up card.

Quote:
3) If you deplete a decks of encounter cards, do you reshuffle and make new decks?

Yes, for every deck except Mythos:

Reference guide page 5, Discarding wrote:
When a deck of cards is empty, immediately shuffle its discard pile to form a new deck. The Mythos deck is never replenished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hromas
United States
Bovina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alright, GregF, thanks for the help. Now I feel stupid after looking at the bottom of the card and reckoning effect. Doh!

This also makes me wonder. If you have 4 reckonings without solving the rumor, does it pretty much bring the game to an end by advancing Doom to 0?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Unless Azzie, Doom 0 isn't game over yet, but if that happens midgamish (the point an ignored countdown Rumor like this might fire), you'd still have a lot of questing to do before you can deal with awakened AO, so the "win condition" he unlocks by flipping is likely to pulverize you.
tl;dr: "yes, but"

That said, it's a relatively easy rumor to "semi-ignore". Have someone stay nearby to clear out weak yard trash occasionally so the Rumor isn't dangerous, but only spend clues towards solving when you get a tougher monster there, so you don't need to spend as many clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hromas
United States
Bovina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, Weltenreiter. Our game is on hold until this evening. We're playing with four investigators against Azzie. We'll see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.