Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning a game in the coming August for WWI Centennial. Which game in this CoG II I should go after first? I will have a session of about 6 hours time in one day. Which one is easier to complete? Which one is more fun? Any advice is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ypres: Start with few units and enter a few on every turn, establish a frontline and then begin the WWI trenchwar.

Galicia: Units start already at the trenchline although you decide how each division(?) start within their alloted area. This scenario has a very clear frontline and you try to achieve a breaktrhough.

Both easy to play and if you decide setup for Galicia before you start, I think you might be able to play both within 6 hours.

I liked Galicia best as it had the WWI frontline all the way. But Ypres has fewer units on board at the start.

Both are easy to play as regards to rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it easy to have breakthrough in Galicia with a lot of interesting options? Or is it just grinding attrition on both sides?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not the best to answer these questions as I haven't played it more than 2 times each scenario.

It is a light game and I think you can call it a war of attrition as WW1 was. It is a trenchwar but I liked it. Initial setup determines where you start your war and both my games the Russians broke through on their left while the Austria/Hungary side was stronger on their left. Russians took both games.

Others that have played it more can probably answer better, but I liked it as a light, quickplaying WW1 game.

I havn't played any other WW1 games so little to compare it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Variable movement ratios per turn and the ONE attack per turn adds to the fun of the game.
The ONE attack per turn is very cool as it adds a different decision when you have to see if you have the most favourable position to attack or if you should wait to see if you get more units into favourable positions before attacking at the risk of having your opponent move before you and make your situation less favourable.
Fun stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.