Subject: PC/Mobile versions of board games... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derrick Denley
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Random question of the day..

Am I the only one who sees mobile versions of board games as a good way to learn the rules?

I have so far purchased Elder Sign: Omens and Carcassonne on Android and they have really helped me to figure out how the game works. I bought the board game version of Elder Sign and I never had time to learn the rules so it was just sat in the box. I bought Omens and started playing it and since then I have been able to just open the box and play the game without any problems, also with Carcassonne recently, learnt a lot about the placement of the tiles.

Besides Ticket to Ride, Talisman and Catan (although not really interested in Catan), what other games are there that have a Android/iPad versions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kenakin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are kind of a lot of digital versions of games now, however I really only know about the games that are on iOS because I own an iPad and not any Android products.

Off the top of my head:

- Stone Age
- Suburbia
- Small World
- Tigris & Euphrates
- Le Havre
- Agricola
- Lords of Waterdeep (expansion is out soon as well)
- BANG!
- Dominant Species
- Summoner Wars
- Zombies!!!
- Pandemic
- Caylus
- Eclipse
- Quarriors!
- Imperial
- San Juan
- Puerto Rico
- Cyclades
- Alhambra
- Alien Frontiers
- Ghost Stories

And soon to be released are:

- Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
- Galaxy Trucker

And that probably isn't even close to all of them, I mean I'm not a war gamer so I haven't listed any of those and I'm sure there's plenty.

As for learning the rules through the game I find it's a mixed bag. Sometimes it really helps because I tend to learn things faster by doing than reading. However if the game is rulesy, like Eclipse for example, I find that the game does too much for you so it takes longer to get a complete understanding of every facet of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Maunder
Wales
Newcastle Emlyn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not used digital versions for the purpose of learning a game myself but that's mostly because I tend to either have the digital version or the cardboard version. In the case of summoner wars I already had the cardboard version before the digital one was available so already knew how to play. I'm sure though that if I sat down to Elder sign or Neuroshima hex I could pick it up pretty quickly after playing the digital version. The board games on android I'm aware of are:

Condado is basically an unofficial San Juan
Androminion is basically an unofficial Dominion
Summoner Wars
Alhambra
Small World
Kingdom Builder
Hey, That's My Fish!
Neuroshima Hex! 3.0
Various Reiner Knizia games you can find like Through the Desert or Tigris & Euphrates by putting his name into the google play search.

Also on PC if you have steam you can get
Small World and some expansions
Space Hulk
Memoir '44 online

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guyver FeroZ
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lat00uk wrote:
I bought Omens and started playing it and since then I have been able to just open the box and play the game without any problems, also with Carcassonne recently, learnt a lot about the placement of the tiles.
Just note Omens changed some rules from the physical game so you might want to skim the rulebook first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually wish BGG had this as a search/filter somewhere. I have used some of the digital versions to try a game, or even learn rules, or see strategies for play. We were just recently looking for some games to add to the iPad, and were going through our games one-by-one, searching the app store, then looking up the next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Carcasonne on Android, which really should have come with a rulebook. The tutorial gave no explanation on how to delineate the fields, I had to dig out the actual rulebook to find out. It enabled me to hone my skills for the physical games, but also showed me how awful I am at calculating the score myself - I must make so many errors.

Talisman on Android just reminded me how dull the boardgame is.

Hey That's My Fish is so much better on Android since there is zero setup time, especially if you want to do the more unusual layouts. I can get through 3-5 games in the same amount of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.