Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there have been previous threads, but many only talk about solo play.

Other posts admit that PvP can be completely ignored (I don't see the point myself, no real reason to waste an action where you could get gold and items) and that overlords are underpowered with 4, 5 or even 6 attacking them.

So...Is there a complete and working COOP that covers the following?

*All players from the same faction.

*Upgrade the Overloards (incremental increase in health should do it! Keep health same as 4 player side for 2 player coop. Double health of 4 player side for 4 player coop, double 6 player side health for 6 player coop).

*Remove PvP quests (and a couple of other 'opponent' oriented quests).

*Convert War quests into a race to the places (maybe role D4 and that's the number of round to get all players to those positions?) Mark rounds with spare D8.

*Ignore Quest item bidding and place a point of interest marker on the board in the first blue creature location drawn from a Orange enemy quest deck (keep drawing until one is found). Also place that Blue creature there. First player there who defeats the monster gets the item.

*When quests are completed, draw a new quests from the appropriate deck, place creatures and mark with a faction Quest token. Draw a quest from the same coloured unaligned deck - place these creatures too, but do not add a Quest token. Allow creatures to build up this way.

*Gain 1XP per non-quest creature killed (i.e. not marked by friendly faction Quest token).

*Player still only use their own cities and flight paths.

*Skip 2 positions on the round track each 'turn' but apply all effects marked on the track.

*Have a timer limit for difficulty. Easy, full 15 turns, medium 13, hard 12, insane 10. After the timer is over everyone has 1 additional turn to get to the Overlord's location, else they miss the final battle.

Any of this possible or has it already been done?

CHRIS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gumsch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only marginal experience with Coop/Solo as I only used it for small tutorial sessions that - I think - were never played to the end. I prefer playing with opposite teams - though you indeed have to find ways to cope with the longer playtime.
Anyway, Solo/ Coop appears to be very popular and probably is the best way to get to know the game.
Your version sounds pretty fine. I think a lot of it is similar to how most people handle this issue.
The auction mechanic sounds interesting - though I have no idea if it would works I simply skipped the auctions for my tutorial games. There was also a neat variant proposed somewhere here on BGG for adding a dice roll to the price of the item to simulate bidding.

I'm not sure if I would bother fiddling with the overlord statistics for your first game. Attacking him earlier should be sufficient.
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gumsch wrote:

I'm not sure if I would bother fiddling with the overlord statistics for your first game. Attacking him earlier should be sufficient.
Good luck!

Maybe there could be a bonus score for total player health left multiplied by rounds left unplayed. I like the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all these ideas. When I played my last session, we played 2 player, 3 characters each, opposite sides, no PvP. After 14 hours of play, to make the final boss battle, the game determiner, we decided to make it a one shot race, almost like a soccer shoot out after a tie game.

The first player to reach the boss, gets first shot at defeating him. If he succeeded, he won. If he lost, then the other player gets a chance to fight the boss immediately using whatever is currently equipped. If he succeeded, then he won. If he also failed, then whoever had damaged him the most won. If tied, then we both lost.

This is how I plan to play unless a better idea comes along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.