Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suns Anvil
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We were thinking of getting into this and read a few reviews. Seems to a general consensus at least that the minis are on the large side while the maps, as big as they are, sometimes aren't big enough space.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried playing on some generic extra large hex grids, either with the same size hex or larger?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb

This game is worth getting into--not just because of the A20 rules, but also because you can use the aircraft and maps with other games like Check Your 6! and Mustangs.

I've played with larger mats (hotzmats.com)--4" hexes on a 72"x48"--and that's plenty of space for large dogfights. Same with smaller hexes (like A&A North Africa Map Guide), so long as I used adjustable flight stands to make sure aircraft in close proximity didn't touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sunsanvil wrote:
We were thinking of getting into this and read a few reviews. Seems to a general consensus at least that the minis are on the large side while the maps, as big as they are, sometimes aren't big enough space.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried playing on some generic extra large hex grids, either with the same size hex or larger?

The 1:100 scale miniatures are nice, and while you get two maps with each starter set, a lot of groups make a larger map out of cloth or something. A map of about 18x18 hexes should be very useable. Its not hard to make a large cloth hex map. It does take a little care to keep things straight, but its not rocket science. People have also printed them up:

You can also buy them:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.