Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my wife belongs to an Outlander (books)fan group and some of the members, which are all over the world, are mailing post card greetings to each other (yes, as in through the actual mail). I thought that was kinda cool and was thinking of stealing the idea for BGG - we are, after all, an international community and it could be cool to get post cards from around the world.

Would others be interested in signing up for something like this?

I'm figuring it would be something like put your name & address on a list (which would probably be something like a password-protected Google Doc or something to keep the addresses from just being "out there" on the 'net), and in exchange for sending postcards to others on the list (of your home town, interesting sites near you, or whatever) you would get a bunch of postcards from others on the list.

The cards would only really need a simple greeting - I know some of the people in my wife's group have gone full-on "pen pal" in writing letters but I frankly don't have the time to sit down and write dozens of letters..

Notes:
-The costs of the post cards and postage could get significant depending on how many people are participating
-Unless you're one of those rare people with a PO box, it would require giving other people your home address

So - who's interested?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Morgan
United States
Freedom
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i love this idea. Ive always loved post cards and i like getting mail. Sign me up. I havent had a pen pal since 3rd grade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested. Sounds like a fun idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This does sound interesting. How would it work, practically? Just sending a postcard to the next person on the list who's had the least postcards sent? (You'd have to track who you've sent them to on the spreadsheet of course, for that to work - just incrementing the count for that person). I assume you wouldn't be obliged to send a postcard to everyone on the list if it became quite long?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick C
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
Props to my chillrons.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also be interested. Love postcards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
This does sound interesting. How would it work, practically? Just sending a postcard to the next person on the list who's had the least postcards sent? (You'd have to track who you've sent them to on the spreadsheet of course, for that to work - just incrementing the count for that person). I assume you wouldn't be obliged to send a postcard to everyone on the list if it became quite long?...

The "send one to everybody on the list" thing is pretty much how my wife's club does it, but that does rack up in both time and expense as there are a lot of people on their list.

Another option they use is the "birthday postcard" list where everybody just sends a postcard to members who have an upcoming birthday - that might be a better way to go if the list gets large.

I can't really think of a good way to track who got the most/latest post cards without it being a total pain in the butt for everybody involved...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Tennison
United States
Lawndale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested, but want to know more about the logistics. It sounds like there should be a cap for the "sending one to everyone" plan, and if membership goes above that then we switch to a different model.

When I read this I actually pictured something more like Secret Santa, where everyone is randomly assigned a partner. Maybe each person gets a small number of random people that they should send cards to, an the whole list is split up so that everyone has that number of people sending cards to them? eg everyone has four people they send cards to, and is on four different people's list to receive cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Lewis
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds fun. Keep me "posted."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am subscribed to this thread - interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delton P.
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for it. It sounds like a great idea!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Wright

Hercules
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. I'd be willing to give it a whirl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to toss an idea out there - maybe a spreadsheet that "club" members could access with a name/address on one side and a date on the other, and when someone sends a post card they could fill in the date next to who they're sending to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Rousey
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
How could you NOT be interested in this idea...I'M ALL IN!!!! Much like the secret santa I would be willing to send a post card over seas to receive some from around the world as well.

Subscribed to this thread, keep us all up to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
Just to toss an idea out there - maybe a spreadsheet that "club" members could access with a name/address on one side and a date on the other, and when someone sends a post card they could fill in the date next to who they're sending to?

Maybe through Google docs?

Does anyone know how Secret Santa does it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jesb wrote:

This is a simple example of how a Google Docs spreadsheet would work:

bit.ly/U375RZ

Using this sharing method anybody with the URL can go in and view/edit it (so don't stick your personal info in this one since I just publicly posted the URL). Using this I would probably just GeekMail anybody who wants to join with the URL they need so it stays in private messaging.

Apparently I can also set it up so I have to specifically invite people to use the spreadsheet by way of email address, but I don't know how that works for people who don't have active Google accounts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
jesb wrote:

This is a simple example of how a Google Docs spreadsheet would work:

bit.ly/U375RZ

Using this sharing method anybody with the URL can go in and view/edit it (so don't stick your personal info in this one since I just publicly posted the URL). Using this I would probably just GeekMail anybody who wants to join with the URL they need so it stays in private messaging.

Apparently I can also set it up so I have to specifically invite people to use the spreadsheet by way of email address, but I don't know how that works for people who don't have active Google accounts.

I just opened it up and was going to add a second fake address but I'm getting a view only notice.

Like where this is going though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Rousey
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
How close are we to making this happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I was kind of hoping for some feedback on the spreadsheet idea one way or the other, but I guess I can assume no complaints = everybody's OK with it.

I'll try to get the "real" spreadsheet set up soon, and check on what the deal is with the read-only thing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK guys, I've set up the "real" spreadsheet and got us started by putting my name and address on there.

I just sent a GeekMail with the URL to everybody who expressed an interest - if I somehow missed you, if you're just joining in, let me know and I'll get it out to you ASAP.

Oh, and I do believe I fixed the "read only" thing - had the share settings set wrong blush

So let's have some fun with this!

(Now I just need to actually buy some post cards and stamps! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick C
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
Props to my chillrons.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks for getting this set up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Tennison
United States
Lawndale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be a "OK, go!" announcement for when we should pick people/send cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amethyst246 wrote:
Will there be a "OK, go!" announcement for when we should pick people/send cards?

If so, I kinda jumped the gun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amethyst246 wrote:

OK, GO!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larson
Hong Kong
Discovery Bay
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
To find your true identity within the will of Tze Yo Tzuh...that is the highest of all freedoms.
mbmbmbmb
I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick C
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
Props to my chillrons.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In advance, please pardon my terrible hand-writing. I seem to have forgotten how with all the typing I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.